Two tier pricing: Thai temple slammed for ripping off tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

2019 Sightseeing Prices

Why do I have to pay to enter St Paul's?
Admission Charges Walk-up Individual Rates Online Rates Group (10+) Rates
Adults (18yrs+) £20 £17 £17
Concessions
(Students* & 60yrs+)
£17.50 £15 £15
Children (6-17yrs) £8.50 £7.20 £7.20
Family Ticket
(2 Adults + 2 or 3 Children)
£48.50 £41.20  n/a
Family Ticket
(1 Adult + 2 or 3 Children)
£34 £29  n/a
Complimentary entry can be granted to a disabled visitor and an accompanying carer or necessary companion. Please request these tickets on arrival.
*Any student with a photo ID issued by their place of study can use the concession ticket. Please bring ID with you. It should be easily readable by Cathedral staff and not have expired. ISIC full-time student cards are also acceptable.

The last time I visited St Paul's it was free, there was also a ladder up to the base of the cross at the top of the dome, that gave a spectacular 360 view of London, mind you that was back in about 1959/60 when I was Seven ???? Now you have to pay a fortune & I believe (due to Health and Safety) the ladder is no longer available to Joe public.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paying for any religion is nothing more than to make money nothing more in some cases not all are used for upkeep etc. but then ask yourself what would the thai people do to keep up keep costs on these temples if there were no foreigners going? All in all all religions are nothing more than money makers whether it be donations or paying. 

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

You will pay 600 baht for 2 movie tickets popcorn and drinks.  Does 50 baht really mean that much to you?  Many Temples and parks are free for all people...go there to save money.

What's that got to with the price of eggs? It's profiteering. Get back in your box, mate. 

I live in Thailand with my family. If my children who have dual citizenship ask me to take them to the temple, why should I have to pay entrance fee? Will they also charge my children entry fee because they have a Farang dad? If this should happen, I would never take my children to any temple in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

I live in Thailand with my family. If my children who have dual citizenship ask me to take them to the temple, why should I have to pay entrance fee? Will they also charge my children entry fee because they have a Farang dad? If this should happen, I would never take my children to any temple in the future. 

And that would be your choice.  I agree it's pathetic, but it's how things usually work here.

6 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Luk Kruengs are half price....

4 hours ago, webfact said:

charge non-residents to visit aiding in the upkeep of such sites. 

What happens to the subsidies they get from the Government,

most of these Temples are all about money.when I stop to think about it all religions  are the same,money

regards worgeordie

Ok , this is a bout a Temple - but what about all the other Tourist Attractions, where Farangs pay DOUBLE as compared to Thai Visitor?

At one time I went to an archeological site outside Udonthani, paid my (double) Farang Entrance fee and entered - only to find out that NONE of the (English) versions of Video descriptions were working. And when I asked one of the staff when they stopped to work I was told they had been out of action for several month!!

46 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

Good to see you'll cut off your own nose to spite your face...

I've got a work permit and it gets me into most places at local prices. Only exception was Doi Inthanon where I got charged full whiteface price. 

6 minutes ago, Awinkl said:

Ok , this is a bout a Temple - but what about all the other Tourist Attractions, where Farangs pay DOUBLE as compared to Thai Visitor?

At one time I went to an archeological site outside Udonthani, paid my (double) Farang Entrance fee and entered - only to find out that NONE of the (English) versions of Video descriptions were working. And when I asked one of the staff when they stopped to work I was told they had been out of action for several month!!

Solid use of CAPITAL letters there to EMPHASISE your point. Especially when DOUBLE the price EQUALS about ONE DOLLAR more in most cases

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Would it be OK if they charged 600 baht for foreigners to enter the temple then?

A Temple visit for 50B is less than a beer cost in the bar, the visit last longer than a beer, gives more cultural insight in addtion to a healthy walk in the stairs .... :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

You will pay 600 baht for 2 movie tickets popcorn and drinks.  Does 50 baht really mean that much to you?  Many Temples and parks are free for all people...go there to save money.

Why go there  at all, nothing to see.

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I think you miss the point, which is discrimination. If they need money for upkeep then charge the Thais as well. I'm sure there are far more Thai visitors.

I can sort of understand charging a little bit of money to non-buddhist, but what if I was practicing and needed to visit to make merit or whatever else that entails. Just my opinion but it seems to go against any belief charging money like this.
I just went to this temple, strickly for the wife last week and had to bite my tongue. 50 baht seems pretty steep, considering Wat doi suthep charges only 20 to foreigners.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, ThaiSauce said:

I can sort of understand charging a little bit of money to non-buddhist, but what if I was practicing and needed to visit to make merit or whatever else that entails. Just my opinion but it seems to go against any belief charging money like this.
I just went to this temple, strickly for the wife last week and had to bite my tongue. 50 baht seems pretty steep, considering Wat doi suthep charges only 20 to foreigners.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does your id say Buddhist? If not, you ain't no Buddhist.

9 hours ago, shady86 said:

Pretty much same thing with some temples in Bangkok too. Foreigners pay for entrance.

Took the wife and kids to one of the big temples there by Sanam Luang in BKK.  They got in free.  I spent my money on a cold beer from a vendor out in the courtyard.

13 hours ago, SammyT said:

Sigh. If you don't want to pay the 50B, don't go. 

Just a temple trying to look after it's upkeep, doing so by charging people who are going in there for non-religious purposes a fee, which to most westerners would be considered nominal. 

Nothing to see here...

Most temples have too much money, and it seems to disappear ????

10 hours ago, SammyT said:

Plenty of things in New Zealand that New Zealanders get in for free or dirt cheap while foreigners pay more - cultural things like museums, galleries, Maori attractions. Funnily enough, the tourists don't seem to complain like all the cheap-charlie farang over here

Actually, the article says that it's the Thais who are complaining about the 50 baht charged to the foreigners.

But I can understand that some "attractions" are so infested with tourists that they have to raise extra funding for e.g. cleaning of toilets or repairs, so I am not too shocked by the extra charge.

Perhaps it would have been more fair if the temple had a policy of charging non-residents (eg including Bangkok tourists) instead of foreigners.

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

I am not aware of any that charge only ask for donations in Aus anyway .

Just about every cathedral in the UK charges an admission fee, St Pauls in London

is around a tenner, but an incredible building. 

The fee is the same for all comers, I believe, I didn't see any sign of dual pricing.

There are a few touristy places up here in the Highlands where locals get a discount,

but that is based on postcode rather than nationality.

Back in London, the walk up price for the big wheel on the south bank is twice what

you would pay a day before online, the queues for the walk up tickets are predominantly

Chinese tourists, but with the pound on its knees, it is probably good value in Their eyes.

Why aren't the netizens complaining about the 500THB at the Grand Palace?

I believe in capitalisam and think a private business should be allowed to do what they want (following laws).

So if this is a private business which charges an entry fee, they are free to do this, but then they should not be allowed to call themself a temple, they should have to pay tax on the donations (this is then income) and they have to follow all other obligations which people who run a business have (same for a church anywhere else which wants to charge an entry fee)

In fact tourists get charged in some cases exhorbitant  amounts to visit places where the facilities are almost non-existent.

The double pricing is blatant at almost every Public park or site where tourist visit. Plus of course the over pricing for other amenities.

In the UK you will pay the same as the UK citizen in 99% of tourist places, it may seem a lot but the toilets are CLEAN, facilities are clean and the staff polite. ! 

6 hours ago, Redline said:

Most temples have too much money, and it seems to disappear ????

I wonder where it goes? Couldn't be the iPhones or gold Rolex watches I see monks wearing, or the expensive restaurant meals. I was never so shocked as when I first saw a group of monks in an expensive restaurant partying. They might call it Buddhism in Thailand, but it doesn't resemble any Buddhism that I've studied. Nothing but parasites on the body of society.

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

2019 Sightseeing Prices

Why do I have to pay to enter St Paul's?
Admission Charges Walk-up Individual Rates Online Rates Group (10+) Rates
Adults (18yrs+) £20 £17 £17
Concessions
(Students* & 60yrs+)
£17.50 £15 £15
Children (6-17yrs) £8.50 £7.20 £7.20
Family Ticket
(2 Adults + 2 or 3 Children)
£48.50 £41.20  n/a
Family Ticket
(1 Adult + 2 or 3 Children)
£34 £29  n/a
Complimentary entry can be granted to a disabled visitor and an accompanying carer or necessary companion. Please request these tickets on arrival.
*Any student with a photo ID issued by their place of study can use the concession ticket. Please bring ID with you. It should be easily readable by Cathedral staff and not have expired. ISIC full-time student cards are also acceptable.

I can't see where it says 20p for English people !!! Surely there must be a ridiculously low price for nationals compared to what those pesky foreigners pay ??

Archived