Not getting the right change in Restaurants

Henryford

There are several places where they will try it on over change more in bars

than restaurants, I have found, but the two we have had problems with were both connected to the Bib, as I think they think it gives them more clout and maybe some people will be intimidated. just swerve them now. 

Yes ATMs give out 1000 baht notes.  Just saying if you are worried about not receiveing correct change, go buy a 10 baht Mentos at 7-11, break the 1000 baht so you have some change with you.  Calculator app a good idea.  Will likely happen to me sometime then I will be pissed for not following my own advice.  ???? 

I had this happen to me recently on consecutive days. On both occasions I paid with a 1000 and was 100 short changed. When I get my change I fan it out and check it is right before pocketing it.

In both restos the wait staff picked up on the short change before I complained about it and gave me the missing 100. This confirms to me that some waiting staff are trying it on. A lot of people just pick up the change without checking it, so don't even know they have been diddled.

I won't name either restaurant involved but I would just advise caution. Same applies in bars; maybe moreso as drink dulls the grey matter, or so I'm told.

I must say that I have been given too much change on 2 occasions and I have handed the extra back. One amount was more than what the employee would earn in a day.

• Like 1

I had this happen to me recently on consecutive days. On both occasions I paid with a 1000 and was 100 short changed. When I get my change I fan it out and check it is right before pocketing it.

In both restos the wait staff picked up on the short change before I complained about it and gave me the missing 100. This confirms to me that some waiting staff are trying it on. A lot of people just pick up the change without checking it, so don't even know they have been diddled.

I won't name either restaurant involved but I would just advise caution. Same applies in bars; maybe moreso as drink dulls the grey matter, or so I'm told.

I must say that I have been given too much change on 2 occasions and I have handed the extra back. One amount was more than what the employee would earn in a day.

Yes they don't even try to hide it. They watch you and as soon as you are about to complain they bring the missing change.

Happened to me 2 times in one week at my local 7/11. The little Muslim girl is now gone and probably got caught by the cameras

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

What did the restaurant manager say when you advised him/her of the issue?

correct--dont let them get away with 'short changing ' you...

i cant say that i have ever had this happen to me in pattaya or jomtien--even in bars...

i always OPENLY  check my change, in front of them...i always take it all--even the coins.

if i choose to tip---i will do that seperately...

• Thanks 1

I live in Ratchaburi and have never been short changed.  A couple of times I have got too much back.  But I have caught extra items being added to the bill or not taken off after they said they are out of that item.

I've also had this happen in Jomtien as well. Paid with 1,000, never really checked change until I had left and of course it was short, but too late. Never went back to that restaurant even though I liked the food.

A restaurant on Soi 5.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, champers said:

I think this trick the staff played are usually on the foreigners and not  Thai people? My missus never had issue with wrong change from restaurants all these 15 years I am with her. I just let her handle the check. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Another solution is paying by credit/debit card; no loose change, all on one statement and, depending on issuing bank, miles. Tipping, however, you want to do in cash as CCed tips end usually with the restaurant and not the staff. 

Correct. If we use cards, we would just give the tips in cash when they returned with the card and bill. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, madmen said:

Yes they don't even try to hide it. They watch you and as soon as you are about to complain they bring the missing change.

Happened to me 2 times in one week at my local 7/11. The little Muslim girl is now gone and probably got caught by the cameras

Wondering why her religion is relevant 

16 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I do get sloppy sometimes and pick up the change without counting it.

I learnt many years ago that in Thailand (and many other countries) you should always check everything carefully. If you dont then you can guarantee that someone will steal from you.

I've experienced short-changing or overpricing in large supermarkets, small convenience stores, condo offices, markets, food stalls, restaurants and once bank staff even "forgot" a bundle of 100,000B at the rear of their counter where it was invisible to me but fully visible to them. Luckily in every case I always checked and always got what was mine in the end.

Trust no one.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Another solution is paying by credit/debit card; no loose change, all on one statement and, depending on issuing bank, miles. Tipping, however, you want to do in cash as CCed tips end usually with the restaurant and not the staff.  

I never use credit/debit cards in Thailand, especially for low value items. The risk of them cloning/copying your card details is much greater than a mere short change.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Surely it is worse being in a tourist area where they figure they will not likely see you again... go live in a small city or village and you will not have this issue.. other issues, maybe.  

The last time it was in a restaurant close to where i live which i go to many times. Or should i say USED to go to.