Explainer: What legal risks does Cohen's testimony pose to Trump?

webfact

1 minute ago, keemapoot said:

Yup, and we also saw the blinders on with ardent Bill Clinton supporters. But, in Trump's case, it truly is abysmal, given his overwhelmingly immoral and probably illegal behavior.

I think that was more "the establishment", including the press that bolstered the Clintons, which of course did not go unnoticed and created the reprehensible Trump candidacy and it's supporters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I think that was more "the establishment", including the press that bolstered the Clintons, which of course did not go unnoticed and created the reprehensible Trump candidacy and it's supporters.

Carter was the last honorable President.  They have all gotten worse after him.  Obama was an uplift, but I did not like his do nothing response to the water conditions in Flint.

35 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

Carter was the last honorable President.  They have all gotten worse after him.  Obama was an uplift, but I did not like his do nothing response to the water conditions in Flint.

I agree with your first 2 sentences.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I see no legitimacy in partisan special councils, partisan congressional and senate committees, partisan doj’s, fbi, handpicked grand juries, stacked supreme courts and courts of appeals. 
I

You mean like life-long Republican former FBI Directors Robert Swan Mueller and James Comey???? And, life-long Republican FBI Director L. Patrick Gray who brought Nixon down???? You mean those kind of partisans?  Haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Impeachment represents a "politcal" risk, not a legal one per se.

Cohen's testimony seems to have provided at least several criminal investigative paths for prosecutors and investigators: Taxes, Insurance Fraud, Fraud, RICO, money laundering, conspiracy. At a minimum, Individual-1 is an unindicted co-conspirator, but he's not a witch.

But we're told that this President is above the law, so not much legal risk for him until end-January 2021?

DJTJ, Eric, Ivanka and Jared may be in the soup.

So which of these "...criminal investigative paths for prosecutors and investigators: Taxes, Insurance Fraud, Fraud, RICO, money laundering, conspiracy..." do you believe is not being pursued?

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Taxes, Insurance Fraud, Fraud, RICO, money laundering off the top of my head.

But I'm not aware of all the State, Federal, Congressional investigations into the Trump Crime Syndicate.

See Exhibit 5A for a start.

And just stick a fork in trump, he's done, he just doesn't realize it, yet.

So it is your position that Trump is not already under investigation?

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or put it this way;  he falsely sees things in terms of what pleases him, his brain and his ego twist whatever it is to what he thinks is legitimate, even if it's lies, his lies or anybody's lies.

Additionally he doesn't respect that others also have a view and their view should be respected or at least acknowledged. 

Additionally he has no respect for even the basics of colour issues etc. 

Additionally he has no hesitation to select people who are flawed and should not hold high office, e,g, his various lawyers who are far far from role models of high knowledge and repute.  

You're describing the American electorate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Terms like "core values" are political buzzwords. That being said, I think Nixon committed impeachable offenses. I think Clinton committed an impeachable offense. I dont think that Trump has.

If by that you mean impeachable offenses have yet to be proven then I agree with you; but the jury's still out as they say.

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Felonies much?

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/27/here-are-five-felonies-trump-committed-if-cohen-is-telling-truth/

Washington post is a leftist rag.

That will be out of business when the Covington kids are done with it....

...you know - those minors that the washington post attacked...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I didn't mean a political investigation, I meant a criminal investigation.

For a criminal investigation one needs actual proof. Were such proof to exist would Trump/ family not already be charged?

I pity the prosecutor that charges Trump and fails to convict. Actually I don't pity them at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1