Public hospitals get training to recover payments from foreigners

webfact

6 hours ago, KarlS said:

A relatively small increase in the price of a tourist visa would cover any healthcare costs.

No it will not, well in theory yes, but we are in Thailand, where dual pricing is the norm. There would not be enough gain for hospitals, thus deny you although you paid more for the visa and should be entitled. 

It's just the way Thailand does (NOT) work.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think most of these unpaid bills are not caused by farangs

Farangs like to go to private hospitals where people can speak english

I assume many of these unpaid bills are illegal foreign workers, from Cambodia or Myanmar, who maybe had an accident because of unsafe working conditions. They don't have money to pay the bills, their Thai employer does of course not want to pay for it, so they went back home and left the bill unpaid.

Many of them are Falang.

Spoke to an Aetna rep. just a few days ago.  They are supporting the mandatory insurance plan.

She had several stories all about Falang skipping out on bills.

Mostly at Bkk Pattaya hospital.

She told me about an Aussie who skipped just last week on a 5 million b bill.

I doubt if many of those Cambo and Burma folks are hitting the major hospitals with fear they will get caught as illegals.

7 hours ago, KarlS said:

Are you trying to say that in your opinion it is OK for expats to not pay their medical bills? 

I think there is the danger of creating a rod for everyone's back- some argue that universal healthcare should be available for everyone regardless.

Also, if someone can't pay, then they simply can't pay, so it'll do no good to imprison them, or whatever.

Most advanced countries offer Thais free emergency health care in their respective countries.

From memory, I believe hospitals now charge foreigners at a tariff of 120%, that 20% should be more than enough to cover a few delinquent bills.

If I remember correctly . Just recently a press (or something like that telling) that over 300 million baht last year in foreigners unpaid hospital bills !

Good on em' for taking steps to keep one aspect of the medical / hospital system turgid and Thailand functional.

Dishonest cheating foreigners skipping on medical bills.

Get rid of these folks already in country, and don't let more of the same in I say. Stay home and scam your own medical system.

8 hours ago, KarlS said:

Are you trying to say that in your opinion it is OK for expats to not pay their medical bills? 

I don't believe its the expat not paying; it's the tourist.  Sometimes this Nation news does not distinguish properly between tourist and expats.

I had my only Thai operation here at the public hospital. When I wanted to go home, they wheelchaired me to the cashier / pharmacy, I paid; then they wheelchaired me to the tuk-tuk and I went home. There was no thought in my mind of not paying. And most expats would be the same.

If you are under 65 and no pre existing conditions, if over 65  a very heavy premium.  Limited for what they deem to be fair for them to pay up.
For travel insurance, which is what he asked about, premiums are not very heavy at any age.

Pre exusting conditions arw not usually a barrier to coverage for travel insurance but many policies will not covet them. Some, however, will cover acute exacerbations of pre existing conditions.

There are travel policies specially tailored to srniors.

Of course, travel insurance covers only emergencies and the insurer has the option of transporting you home as opposed to paying for care where you are, if you are stable enough.

And there are time limits to it.it covers trips, not residing abroaf.

In other words not a solution for resident expats. But quite suitable for tourists.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Many of them are Falang.

Spoke to an Aetna rep. just a few days ago.  They are supporting the mandatory insurance plan.

I doubt if many of those Cambo and Burma folks are hitting the major hospitals with fear they will get caught as illegals.

Hardly surprising an insurance company is supporting mandatory insurance.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Most advanced countries offer Thais free emergency health care in their respective countries.

So all the Schengen states must be less advanced. As a Thai you need to have a travel health care insurance covering 30k Euros. No insurance, no visa.

What's the problem if Thailand requests such an insurance from every tourist? The small money to get it in your home country? If you cannot afford that, stay at home where your medical treatment should be free.

31 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

How about teach them how to do direct billing for those that are insured rather than withholding care until the wallet biopsy is done!!  This is so bass ackwards here. 

It requires  lot in terms of staff, training  etc -- the documentation requirements of insurance companies are considerable. It is not a matter of just sending a  bill. . Hardly worth it for government hospitals for what would be a case or two a month for most hospitals.  Thais don't need private insurance and foreigners who have it usually go to private hospitals.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes.  Thai Life for instance.

Many companies. Mainly international. Easily bought online.

You can apply to World Nomads after already starting your trip.

but again, remember that travel insurance is for temporary trips, not for people living abroad. For that you need an expat policy. And you must have cover in your home country.

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Many of them are Falang.

Of course,  she had these stories.  How else can they push for mandatory insurance?

On 3/28/2019 at 10:15 AM, fruitman said:

That's a very bad plan, why would i have to pay for insurance when i apply for a visa? I already have healthcare and worldwide travelinsurance!

Then you would be exempt from additional Thai government insurance if proving you are already sufficiently covered .

On 3/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, Sheryl said:

For travel insurance, which is what he asked about, premiums are not very heavy at any age.

Pre exusting conditions arw not usually a barrier to coverage for travel insurance but many policies will not covet them. Some, however, will cover acute exacerbations of pre existing conditions.

There are travel policies specially tailored to srniors.

Of course, travel insurance covers only emergencies and the insurer has the option of transporting you home as opposed to paying for care where you are, if you are stable enough.

And there are time limits to it.it covers trips, not residing abroaf.

In other words not a solution for resident expats. But quite suitable for tourists.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Travel insurance is indeed just that and not for residents however if you are a 6 month visitor to Thailand as many of us are then return to your home country for the other 6 months  it should comply ?

I would be interested to find out the info on the amount of farangs here who have insurance and I would bet that there are more without than with .

I recently delved into health insurance and it was a no goer with one Bupa comprehensive quote of 100,000 dollars a year . OK that was to the extreme but even a basic insurance started at 4-500 dollars a month . What was available was travel insurance from the UK based on a single 5 month trip which included existing conditions came out at 750 to 1000 pounds ( 2 levels ) and of course the cover also included many other situations e.g loss of luggage , missed flights , loss of passport etc . Having said that there was only one company that would quote me as I am nearing 72 years old . Many companies have a ceiling of 69 years of age .  So there is the dilemma , stay in your home country such as the UK with free health service or take your chances by living abroad and getting on the big bird to return to your home country for medical needs , if you are able . 

Big Joke may have the answers soon and it could have a massive impact on us farangs .

1 minute ago, superal said:

Travel insurance is indeed just that and not for residents however if you are a 6 month visitor to Thailand as many of us are then return to your home country for the other 6 months  it should comply ?

That will depend on the product description. Travel insurance policies offered as part of a credit card often give a definition of a resident in a home country as spending 75% of their time there. You might get away with a couple of years of six-months-at-a-time away, but sooner or later you'd find the insurance company would disallow your claim under that sort of definition

Well in my hospital you see the doctor this is covered by insurance and then they position you in front of the cashier to pay your bill. if you want the drugs you have to pay. This is probably all about the chinese tourists, they have similar attitudes towards money and scams. As you say an expat or teacher would always pay. Maybe the odd backpacker might make a run for it in phuket, But people who live here don't leave and arent stupid.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, superal said:

I would be interested to find out the info on the amount of farangs here who have insurance and I would bet that there are more without than with .

I recently delved into health insurance and it was a no goer with one Bupa comprehensive quote of 100,000 dollars a year . OK that was to the extreme but even a basic insurance started at 4-500 dollars a month . What was available was travel insurance from the UK based on a single 5 month trip which included existing conditions came out at 750 to 1000 pounds ( 2 levels ) and of course the cover also included many other situations e.g loss of luggage , missed flights , loss of passport etc . Having said that there was only one company that would quote me as I am nearing 72 years old . Many companies have a ceiling of 69 years of age .  So there is the dilemma , stay in your home country such as the UK with free health service or take your chances by living abroad and getting on the big bird to return to your home country for medical needs , if you are able . 

Big Joke may have the answers soon and it could have a massive impact on us farangs .

If living here just 6 months out of 12 and still maintaining an address in your home country and eligibility for NHS care or then yes, travel insurance makes good sense.  Just be prepared to have to receive all elective care back home. And make sure the travel insurance policy does nto have any clause that would require to spend more than half the year back home.

Do not go uninsured and assume you will be able to fly home for care if needed, in a serious illness/accident you will either be unable to fly or need special med-evac which is very, very expensive to arrange.

BTW you can  get basic expat insurance for less than the 400-500 a month you quote. At 72, can get for  350 - 400 a month. But still hardly worth it if not here for more than 6 months out of 12.

This link lists many travel insurance policies  for seniors. You'll have to check each one to be sure they will cover a length of 6 months and do nto require a minimum of more than 50% time in the UK

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/best-travel-insurance-for-older-holidaymakers-over-65/

Not applicable for you at age 72 but for those under 70, AETNA Thailand has a special plan for visitors to Thailand with stays less than 6 months (could be 5 months and 29 days) called thre Sunshine Plan

https://www.aetna.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/detail.aspx?iid=5&ifid=3#tab

I haven't priced it.

Should work on the issue of recognizing foreigner insurrances.

When I had to go to the hospital, I had to pay the first day.

Those who were responsible for the insurrance issues were not aware how it worked for

European clients, and their collegue who speak english had a free day off.

Another doctor who speak english, was able to call, but not accepted as he was 'just' a doctor and not one of the hospital financial worker.

Just the second day they came to me and confirmed I was insurred.

No refund given for the first day, nor compensate it with the insurrance agency.

Hospital was not just a local one but a known private hospital in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I mean that most people do not require a visa of any kind.

Depends on their reasons for being here.  And who are ‘most people’?  I ask because most people I know DO have visas.  

I think you you are making a huge generalization there.

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Depends on their reasons for being here.  And who are ‘most people’?  I ask because most people I know DO have visas.  

I think you you are making a huge generalization there.

By most I mean the USA, most if not all of Europe, Australia and New Zealand. That covers a pretty large number of people. There may well be more. Perhaps you are confusing a tourist visa required of Africans and Indians, among others, with 30-day visa-free entry.

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

By most I mean the USA, most if not all of Europe, Australia and New Zealand. That covers a pretty large number of people. There may well be more. Perhaps you are confusing a tourist visa required of Africans and Indians, among others, with 30-day visa-free entry.

Nope, I think the confused one is you.  It isn't just Africans and Indians who can avail of tourist visas.  Anyone can.  

And BTW, the whole world does not consist of America ...

Archived