Decathlon trying to force customers to give phone number or Email ?

myshem

Hello,

Have you bought anything at Decathlon Thailand ? It seems that they insist on getting an Email or phone number.

This time I said no telephone no email. They replied that it's compulsory. I replied not with me.

Next time they will get a nice [email protected] if they ask again.

What is your experience ? thanks.

I bought something with them last year, I don't remember if they asked an e-mail, but why not ? Lazada, too, needs ou e-mail and they use it to tell  us when the  item is ready

so far, Decathlon has never sent any e-mail to my address 

edit: I bought it on line, because I live up country 

Edited by Aforek

4 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

There is a benefit to giving Decathalon one of your contacts. If you do that, it means they have a record of your transactions and you don't need to produce a receipt if you need an exchange or warranty.

And that's great.  But it needs to be an opt-in for people who want that convenience, not compulsory.  There's no telling who they'll end up selling my personal details to, or who's going to hack their network and get my phone number, email, and credit card details.

• Like 1

I have been a spammer for business and have hundred thousands emails addresses, it's just a principle that no shop has to ask em an Email or telephone. I didn't give and was able to buy what I wanted anyway. Right in your face idiot staff !

1 minute ago, CHdiver said:

Just tell her/him before handing the money, sorry you have to give me your phone number and your email adress. Without this, I can not give you my money, it is mandatory. 

Yes.. because that will go down well and you'll walk away with your purchase after making a point !!

Why is it some Westerners here make life difficult for themselves and feel they have to 'fight the system' whenever something of very little importance doesn't quite suit them? Why do some feel the need to 'win and battle everything out' ???

I'm all for standing up for our rights etc when it matters, when money is involved, when we are being overcharged, or when its a big deal or is likely to cause an inconvenience... but for innocuous extremely minor stuff like this, just play the game and give a fake e-mail address, its not that difficult is it ????

• Like 2

This isn't only for Decathlon Thailand. They will also ask you in Singapore, the Philippines, Australia etc. They say it is for making returns or warranty claims easier. I've bought a few items from various stores and have never been sent any marketing e-mails after creating an account. You can use the same account across Asia if you happen to want to keep track of purchases. If you don't then all you need say is you don't use e-mail and don't have a Thai number, or just give fake details.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I've bought a few items from various stores and have never been sent any marketing e-mails after creating an account.

That's what I told in my message above; nowadays, people become paranoid

Decathlon doesn't sent spams 

You can use disposable e-mail address that require little or no effort to create.  Keep in mind that these will not be secure.

For those situations where you must acknowledge receipt of an initial registration e-mail, [email protected] will always be a workable e-mail address that you can check via a browser.

Or you can use a service such as  10 MINUTE EMAIL

9 hours ago, kkerry said:

This isn't only for Decathlon Thailand. They will also ask you in Singapore, the Philippines, Australia etc. They say it is for making returns or warranty claims easier.  //

It's a worldwide policy for Decathlon, even in France where they have more than 300 shops.

Yes it can help for warranty, but the main reason I remember they say is for SAFETY. They want to be able to contact you if ever they find a problem with a product they sold.

I remember only 2 such call-backs in last 5 years: One for some balls who turned to be possibly toxic if chewed by young child; another for a kick scooter whose lock-mechanism happened to not be strong enough.

BTW their rules say they will not use this phone number or email for anything else, and indeed, even if a Decathlon's customer for more than 30 years, I never received any message (or spam) from them :cool:

If it's really a problem for you, just enter 555-555-5555 hahaha... :wink:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm all for standing up for our rights etc when it matters, when money is involved, when we are being overcharged, or when its a big deal or is likely to cause an inconvenience... but for innocuous extremely minor stuff like this, just play the game and give a fake e-mail address, its not that difficult is it ????

Slippery slope, beginning to lie for convenience...

I always give my phone number to the nice female cashiers at BigC or TOPS to identify my "bonus account". None of them has ever called me back :biggrin:

If you watch customers at the chain store checkout you will often hear them saying their phone number (not fake). It's an easy way to get those bonus points to your account.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I always give my phone number to the nice female cashiers at BigC or TOPS to identify my "bonus account". None of them has ever called me back :biggrin:

If you watch customers at the chain store checkout you will often hear them saying their phone number (not fake). It's an easy way to get those bonus points to your account.

I got stopped by the Police and he ordered me to "Give Me Your Name".................. I said what am i going to use??  He wasnt amused... ????

On 3/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, myshem said:

It seems that they insist on getting an Email or phone number

Why is this an issue? They want an email or a phone number. It doesn't have to be yours! My last boss was a total a**hole; after I left I always gave out his phone number when someone demanded one of me.  If that doesn't suit you, give them your own mobile number with the last three or four digits transposed, or your own email address but mis-spelled. This isn't rocket science

Edited by ThaiBunny