Does the heat spoil the pleasure of motorcycling

Denim

22 minutes ago, CGW said:

The hottest place on earth is "generally" considered to be Death Valley? Wrong - totally and utterly wrong :shock1:

The hottest place on earth is the traffic lights at Asoke/Sukhumvit on a summers day, waiting 10 minutes for the lights to change along with another 250 bikes, wearing a full face helmet, stout jeans and a jacket - the killer is when the radiator fan kicks in just when you think it is not possible to get any hotter ☀️

I am riding in that area all the time.

I use Torque to measure the OBD values.

The max for the air-intake temperature was 53 degrees. 41 degree is the most measured value.

I just checked Death Valley. The highest measured temperature there was 56.7 °C according to Wikipedia. I guess if I ride in the next months in Bangkok I will measure something higher...

Stopping at traffic lights requires observation! Where is the shade? 

If moving the heat is less noticeable but you will suffer from dehydration.

The big confusion for me is why are all the mesh jackets available all dark colours like black or red.

5 hours ago, ballpoint said:

No decent roads in Petchabun?  You've got the best part of Highway 12, one of the best riding roads in the country, right on your doorstep.

image.png.d79f36220eb50d682ca01852367344d4.png

As you say ,  Highway 12 is right on my doorstep and I use it every day in the car. It is indeed well known by bikers who blast up it on the way to Phu Tab Berk. So popular for speeding in fact that the police now have an overhead gantry speed trap on the section between Wichien Buri and Bung Sam Pan.

But take a closer look and it only seems good because everywhere else is so bad. That particular section is popular for speeding because it is not built up so less chance of a dog or chicken running out to spoil your party. But the surface , though good by Thai standards is not really good compared to anything in Europe. It is much repaired and if it were not so straight would not be good for scratching.

If you like riding fast in a straight line it has some appeal but personally I prefer roads with a mix of straights and bends with a surface like a putting green that I can trust not to throw me. 

As for attractions ? Really not much to see on that road or either side of it. The newly done route 12 is better. Good surface ,nice bends, panoramic views.

I guess my problem is that having fairly recently had a holiday in North Wales where the roads and sights are to die for my expectations are just too high.

• Like 1

Just now, canthai55 said:

Head to Malaysia if you want good road surface, drainage, correct crown on the road and proper camber for the turns.

' Tee Rak , I'm just going out to get a couple of bottles of beer , be back next week '

( Probably longer on the wave )

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Stopping at traffic lights requires observation! Where is the shade? 

If moving the heat is less noticeable but you will suffer from dehydration.

The big confusion for me is why are all the mesh jackets available all dark colours like black or red.

There are plenty available in White or Silver...  But perhaps the shops in Bangkok, such as Paddock have mainly black. I know Panda Rider has plenty of lighter colour offering and worth a visit if you are really looking for a decent lighter colored mesh protective MC jacket.

The difficulty is not looking like you stepped out of a 70's glam rock concert.... 

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 14.21.55.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 14.23.32.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randell said:

May I ask for the name of those pants and where you have to order from?

The pants are BMW's... Summer 3 Motorcycle pants..

They're actually thicker than I anticipated. 

I ordered them from the UK (a friend carried them over on a visit)

https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/summer-trousers/ 

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Motorcycle-Motorrad-Unisex/dp/B01DWT71AM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_200_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7BK6TAG2CPX2CDJS4GMM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

As you say ,  Highway 12 is right on my doorstep and I use it every day in the car. It is indeed well known by bikers who blast up it on the way to Phu Tab Berk. So popular for speeding in fact that the police now have an overhead gantry speed trap on the section between Wichien Buri and Bung Sam Pan.

But take a closer look and it only seems good because everywhere else is so bad. That particular section is popular for speeding because it is not built up so less chance of a dog or chicken running out to spoil your party. But the surface , though good by Thai standards is not really good compared to anything in Europe. It is much repaired and if it were not so straight would not be good for scratching.

If you like riding fast in a straight line it has some appeal but personally I prefer roads with a mix of straights and bends with a surface like a putting green that I can trust not to throw me. 

As for attractions ? Really not much to see on that road or either side of it. The newly done route 12 is better. Good surface ,nice bends, panoramic views.

I guess my problem is that having fairly recently had a holiday in North Wales where the roads and sights are to die for my expectations are just too high.

Route 12 through Nam Nao National park with an average speed of 130'ish kph for approx 70kms of twisty's is fun fun fun ???? 

5 hours ago, CGW said:

The hottest place on earth is "generally" considered to be Death Valley? Wrong - totally and utterly wrong :shock1:

The hottest place on earth is the traffic lights at Asoke/Sukhumvit on a summers day, waiting 10 minutes for the lights to change along with another 250 bikes, wearing a full face helmet, stout jeans and a jacket - the killer is when the radiator fan kicks in just when you think it is not possible to get any hotter ☀️

I have been to Death Valley many times and you are right. Totally dry heat, 0% RH, clean air.  

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The difficulty is not looking like you stepped out of a 70's glam rock concert.... 

don't laugh, my jacket is high advisability yellow all over. I want to live. And it does make a big difference, especially in shadows. The last thing you want to wear is black.    

• Like 1

I recently purchased a Black Brand Kool Tek leather jacket which is 100% perforated. Pushes lots of air and also came with full armor.

I previously had an AGV partially perforated leather jacket. OK, but not great.

Highly recommend the Black Brand jacket for TH.

went out for a ride the other day. 43degree on a mod zx14r. Dam thing hates humidity and heat because its just not tunned for it. I had to sit at 150km to keep it from going over 100temp, roads were worse than ice but the worst is its so hot that i had to put the visa up but the heat in the air was litteraly burning my eyes. Was only a 100k ride and i lost 2kg. I ride allt he time on many diferent bikes and never really been bothered much. Heat doesnt really bother me but this and one other occasion made ame reconsider hot day rides.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:36 PM, Kenny202 said:

I had a CBR250 which is far from a big bike but nice little ride. Even that at traffic lights there was a fair bit of heat coming up from the engine. I think doing anything here in the current heat is unpleasant but if you want a great all round bike and super comfortable tourer have a look at a Honda Forza. For many would be considered a grandpa bike but very safe, riding position like a cruiser on the open road. Plenty of storage. Only 300cc but can easilly sit on 120km hour all day. ABS brakes. I love mine

Yes, I agree with you, the Forza has it all, I have done many road trips on mine, and will never change it except for another one, great for lane splitting and comfort, though I usually sit on about 60 Km, why should I want to travel at 120km when I am never in a hurry and always have plenty of time?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Best riding is in winter time up north. Dec thru Feb. 

That's far too cold in t-shirt and shorts. 

Much better is Bangkok at Songkran. Empty roads and mostly no one on the main roads playing water fights at all. 

Songkran is also a fine chance to get things done with shops open but empty. #sevendaysofbliss

Rooster

Been here 20 years mate!

Have the bike washed by professionals, set it where you can see it from your air conditioned flat, and gaze upon it from the frigid room and ponder the question.....why the flip did ever move to Toilet?

Really though, find routes where there is little traffic, back roads etc. Carry a wet-suit, (scuba Diving suit 3/2 mm with open sleeves), and dry clothes in a plastic bag during rainy season.

Ventilate your helmet.

On the highway, use good gear that's ventilated.

Bob

On 4/3/2019 at 3:10 PM, canthai55 said:

They go up to 44 waist, any leg length

I bought the 42 W 32 L and they are too big at the waist, but use suspenders. Lets all the farts out of the loose waist too.

Ok thanks very much for that info will check into it further

• Like 1

Around town its too hot to wear all the protective gear plus a faff to wear. Longer trips at higher speed yes makes sense. If you are always going to wear hot protective gear, reduces the enjoyment of riding so might as well go by car instead

• Like 2

Miss my big bike riding. Have kept all my bike riding gear, but far too hot, humid...and dangerous here.

In Thailand I prefer to drive around in my late model, spacious, air conditioned, large (for additional safety), P/U truck.

As long as you are moving you will stay cool, drink water and baby power for your bum. Rode to HauHin years ago from Chiang Mai. It was in Mar. and hot and humid upon arrival. Either you can do it or not up to you. I wear full mesh gear when on the road and it as saved me one time from major woe. Believe it or not riding here isn't that bad, just stay off the major roads when you can.

• Like 1