Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

There are agnostics here who seem to be genuinely interested in this debate, they have rejected the dogmas of religions, but appear to me, in various degrees, to be "prisoners of scientific dogmas."

When i ask them, " where do thoughts come from?", the typical answer is " the thoughts are electrical impulses which originate from the brain".

Are you sure ?

Thanks to what i call enlightened teachers, i have come to ponder this issue, and it seems to me that it's exactly the other way around. 

It's the matter, and the brain is also matter, which originates from the thought .

All matter is "thought condensed ". i don't have the desire to convince anyone, but i don't see why this hypothesis shouldn't be considered. 

Next, one could ask, so, are the universe with its living beings the product of some higher intelligence ?

Or are the random result of some explosion in the middle of some nothing?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

to take the best from religion (intended as a moral code for a peaceful  cohabitation), and the best from science

To a degree, yes.  I am attracted to some of Bhudia's teachings and I try to  live what one could characterise as a life of 'Christian Values', even if I am not Buddhist or Christian.  However, I still hold that some religions, at least on the fringes, teach hatred, violence and discrimination, all in the name of their twisted beliefs. I want none of that

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Doctor Tom said:

To a degree, yes.  I am attracted to some of Bhudia's teachings and I try to  live what one could characterise as a life of 'Christian Values', even if I am not Buddhist or Christian.  However, I still hold that some religions, at least on the fringes, teach hatred, violence and discrimination, all in the name of their twisted beliefs. I want none of that

Good to see that we see things in a similar way.

.. although i would not blame religions, but I'd blame the villains who use and abuse the name of religions to gain power. 

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Good to see that we see things in a similar way.

.. although i would not blame religions, but I'd blame the villains who use and abuse the name of religions to gain power. 

You mean all Popes,  priests, Imams, Vicars, Bishops, Arch Bishops, Monks of all kinds and persuasions, people in gaudy dresses, with silly hats and comical religious costumes?  I think you misinterpret my comments, I can't abide any of them and they are all to a men (as very few religions allow women to participate, how's that for discrimination? ). They all try to indoctrinate and manipulate for their own ends. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You mean all Popes,  priests, Imams, Vicars, Bishops, Arch Bishops, Monks of all kinds and persuasions, people in gaudy dresses, with silly hats and comical religious costumes?  I think you misinterpret my comments, I can't abide any of them and they are all to a men (as very few religions allow women to participate, how's that for discrimination? ). They all try to indoctrinate and manipulate for their own ends. 

Sorry, but this is just generalised rubbish. It's just like saying every atheist is ignorant and selfish, or every businessman is corrupt and exploitative. 

I'm sure you can criticise without putting them all in the same pot. 

25 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I think i understood your previous post, but now it seems that it's you who are misinterpreting... again,  i don't blame ideologies and religions, but i blame the people who use them to exploit others for personal gain.

In the same way, in a road accident, it's almost always the bad drivers' fault, not cars' fault.

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

A ball is still round, so is earth, no sharp edges, thats how we should be to, no matter what you believe or think. 

Edited by Hummin

18 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

The Earth is not round,  due to rotational forces, its an oblate spheroid, that's science fact for you. 

Omg he must be wrong then? Because I here he state this over and over in his speaches. 

I've personally come to the conclusion God was created because:

1.  It keeps our mind occupied, and more importantly with usually positive thoughts

2.  Brings us together with people also in a positive state

3.  Hope is positive.   

so, no, I don't believe there is a God; however, it helps you to think "better."

Satan, on the other hand, are the negative thoughts.   

Meditation would beat God, IMO.    Meditation requires more work, I think.   

If you believe, great!!!!!  Keep having good thoughts.  Then I agree with you, to an extent.  

If no God, I think people were worried too many people would have negative thoughts.    

19 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

He is talking about the surface of the Earth, not it's overall shape. Dear me!  

Oh dear, but still round, even something pulls on it and the weight of the poles. It is not static formed. 

• Confused 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:55 PM, mauGR1 said:

I'd like to add that the "visitors " are probably still around. 

In other words, gods and demons are everywhere, and surely they can defy the laws of physics. 

the singer of aerosmith calls himself "the demon of screamin' "

cute cool nickname or literal job title? 

32 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

the singer of aerosmith calls himself "the demon of screamin' "

cute cool nickname or literal job title? 

I have never listened to them, but i find most of "heavy metal " music very hard to listen. 

That guy, however, has some interesting facial features. 

Some spiritual teacher has suggested that all art has lucifer's influence, and I'm still pondering..

Yep, they are everywhere imho, but one doesn't have to take it literally, as the distinction between good and evil can be quite subjective. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2023 at 10:51 AM, Neeranam said:

God is man made? Are you serious? 

The only scoffers at prayer are the ones who have never tried it.

"The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as 'My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false," or Nietzsche's famous statement 'God is dead.'

The word God has become a closed concept. The moment the word is uttered, a mental image is created, no longer, perhaps, of an old man with a white beard, but still a mental representation of someone or something outside you, and, yes, almost inevitably a male someone or something.” Eckhart Tolle

image.png.39bafdec3301f567894a4287e39865f4.png

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is that supposed to be funny? 

God is not an imaginary friend. 

But you can't prove that he isn't can you! That's because he is a man made construct to try and help humankind make some sense of their lives and existence......and that age old question about, "there has to be something else/life after death, doesn't there??".

Edited by xylophone
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:20 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Glad to.  It enables them to educate the others in the reality of life, death, science, the Universe and the lack of a God in all of this. 'Science rules', based on empirical evidence, religion  is mystical, fairy tail dogma, based on no evidence at all and is designed from the earliest times of human existence to control the plebs.

Apparently you think "science" has all the answers, when it obviously doesn't.

Get back to us when non believers achieve something of real worth, like world peace or elimination of poverty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

But you can't prove that he isn't can you! That's because he is a man made construct to try and help humankind make some sense of their lives and existence......and that age old question about, "there has to be something else/life after death, doesn't there??".

Reading many posts on here it's like someone blind from birth trying to tell sighted people what a sunset looks like.

If one has never had faith, how can one even begin to understand it?

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

As usual, talking about religion and ascribing human qualities to God. Why do you think God has a gender?

NB the title of the thread isn't "do you believe in religion and why", in which case it would have ended about 500 pages ago.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Ignored this thread up to now. Time on my hands this morning

Like most things, I am prepared to believe anything  if given adequate proof

There is no proof of the existence of God, nor any of the other dieties  or their ability to seemingly hold power over those that believe in them and pray continuosly to them. None of the "Gods" are ever around to assist when they should be, since they are only imaginary beliefs. Remember Aberfan and now the Turkish earthquake!  WHERE WERE THEY???

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

58 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

There is no proof of the existence of God, nor any of the other dieties  or their ability to seemingly hold power over those that believe in them and pray continuosly to them. None of the "Gods" are ever around to assist when they should be, since they are only imaginary beliefs. Remember Aberfan and now the Turkish earthquake!  WHERE WERE THEY???

Maybe instead of ignoring it, you should have read it then. Your questions have been asked and answered countless times.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Doesn't seem that you used the time to read any of the answers concerning proof, given you are repeating the same  silly questions about why God didn't stop an earthquake ( a perfectly natural event that has happened countless times ) or other such things.

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I totally agree with your post and following on from your comments, just to show how totally brainwashed or gullible the human race is, I cringed when I heard the cries of the rescuers in the Turkish earthquake, when they pulled young girl out from the rubble, and shouted, "God is great" – – and I wondered where he was, this imaginary being, when around 40,000 other people, including children were crushed to death in this earthquake; not so great I would say, or possibly on a tea break??

I also cringed the other day when I watched the Pope's visit to the Congo and there were thousands of dirt poor "believers" chanting and singing to this corpulent Pope, head of probably the richest corporation in the world, when they didn't even know where their next meal was coming from.

So it's no surprise to me that there are some very gullible folks out there who choose to "worship" this imaginary being, who by the way, also oversees the people that convince suicide bombers that they will go to a "better life with 72 virgins on call", if they will set off a bomb which kills scores of people – – how stupid is that, or should I say how gullible can one be?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1