I am retired and never had an overnight stay in hospital – any one else here the same .

MrScratch

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, MrScratch said:

One area that interests me is about the number of forum members that are retired and are possibly over the age of 50 , and just how many have got to that stage in their life and never needed medical attention or surgery requiring an over night hospital stay .

Kudos to you for being 70 and healthy.  Would imagine those who had to slave away at a physical job and/or found themselves in dangerous situations are not as lucky and had to spend some time in hospitals.  

Agree at an older age you need to think about "health and diet".  Am over 55 but with old injuries that can cause aches or restrict movements at times.  

Much more likely to not need medical attention or surgery if you "play it safe" your whole life and never take chances and push yourself to the limits.   Downhill skiers, motorcycle racers, bull riders, boxers, and football players all tend to end up in the hospital more than most.  Have been involved with 4 of those 5 sports...

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No, never had an overnight hospital stay. Never even have had any hospital stay for any illness.

Lifetime of no drinking or smoking.

That's unusual - Lifetime of no drinking or smoking ????

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I love going to Thai hospitals but purely to visit sick expat friends and besides that also for flirting with pretty Thai nurses in smart looking uniforms.

Ah the nurses , it must be some thing to do with the uniforms ????

A bit of a ramble ????

After reading all the comments here from forum members that are getting on in years , some talking about watching what you eat and drink , some about doing exercises and keeping physically fit . I have this reoccurring thought that some times runs through my mind ????

Here I am 70 years old and for the past several years I have been on a permanent diet where I completely give up many items of food and drink that were obliviously bad for my health. These items I do miss and still crave for.

Currently if I do feel a quick moment of weakness and actually eat or drink some thing that I have given up , as soon as I eat or drink it , I start to feel really guilty and that I have let my self down . I know that I could plan to occasionally treat my self to one of the bad things , but the guilt feeling just won’t let me do that.

So the though that some times runs through my mind is this.

Is there ever going to be a future point in my life as I get even older when I say to my self , look staying on the current diet and having to continue to give up a large range of foods and drinks I really miss and enjoy , just in the hope that my abstinence may prolong my life span by a possible short unknown amount of time is now not worth thinking about , just eat drink and be merry .

Any one else ever think that may be , just may be you have now reached a period in your life where you should now stop every thing your doing , when it comes to diets,  food and drink and its now finally time for you to just without guilt or regret , enjoy what time you may have left , just eat drink and be merry .

May be my logic is flawed , what do you think ????

Not flawed, there is something in the "quality of life not quantity of life" although thats usually applied to illness and treatment or not as the case may be.

As for diets etc, everything and anything in moderation is my rule, just dont do anything to excess and take regular exercise. Thats it, nothing astounding, just simple and easy.

Look at my signature........on this forum.

"You may not know what you want, but you you sure as hell know what you dont want"

Enjoy your life and find your own "balance".

I am 62 and never had a stay.  Well maybe my tonsils out when I was a kid was overnight?  Had a minor kidney stone one early AM that literally fixed itself with an IV.  It was teeny tiny stone that barely showed on the cat scan.  Luckily, or due to my general physical fitness and decent diet, and non smoker, very light drinker, generally low stress level.. no cancer, no heart problems, etc. 

49 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

A bit of a ramble ????

After reading all the comments here from forum members that are getting on in years , some talking about watching what you eat and drink , some about doing exercises and keeping physically fit . I have this reoccurring thought that some times runs through my mind ????

Here I am 70 years old and for the past several years I have been on a permanent diet where I completely give up many items of food and drink that were obliviously bad for my health. These items I do miss and still crave for.

Currently if I do feel a quick moment of weakness and actually eat or drink some thing that I have given up , as soon as I eat or drink it , I start to feel really guilty and that I have let my self down . I know that I could plan to occasionally treat my self to one of the bad things , but the guilt feeling just won’t let me do that.

Is there ever going to be a future point in my life as I get even older when I say to my self , look staying on the current diet and having to continue to give up a large range of foods and drinks I really miss and enjoy , just in the hope that my abstinence may prolong my life span by a possible short unknown amount of time is now not worth thinking about , just eat drink and be merry .

Any one else ever think that may be , just may be you have now reached a period in your life where you should now stop every thing your doing , when it comes to diets,  food and drink and its now finally time for you to just without guilt or regret , enjoy what time you may have left , just eat drink and be merry .

A little of what you fancy does you good, is an old saying.

I also believe if one has been eating and drinking in a certain way for a long time, it becomes habit, and, in my case, I don't have any cravings.

However, if I felt I wanted something "sinful" by way of food or drink, I would go for it, and not feel particularly ashamed of myself for doing so, knowing that I shall simply revert back to my "habit" and continue on life's merry way.

I figure I have maybe 10 good years ahead of me, and am very unlikely to be suddenly sidetracked with binge-drinking alcohol, or binge-eating junk food, to such a degree that it will shorten the remainder of my life by any appreciable amount.

i has 58 old and not has newer has in hospital anythink, but now 59 has 4 time in thailand need be in hospital first 3 day, second cutting inflammeple footh right and stay hosåital 9 day, then left footh has old blood tube problem and need cutting stay hospital 14 day,and last stay 4 day footh problem. all cost about 7000-90 000 b but i has good lucky i pay only vip room, cost 1100 b and coverment pay 800 i need pay only medicine+room 300 b, because lucky my thai wife have working coverment office and all family have free hospital coverment pay all but not medicine and ower 800 b/day room. i no need insurance because coverment pay all, 555. if peoples  not have yet wife, looking only coverment office workers then have free hospital when come old have cheap life lot.

9 hours ago, MrScratch said:

A bit of a ramble ????

Wonder if it is Luck for some people ?  My Mother, diet, never smoked or drank, never had a illness at 42 had a bad throat went to see a Dr, was dead 3 days later.... her younger sister died at 43 Diabetic related, her youngest brother very fit [was a window clearer for years] died of a hart attack at 39..... on the other hand her oldest Sister and brother are still alive in there 90's...  3 Cousins all very fit died young without any illness.. Great Grand ma died of old age at 101, clearly remember going to visit her, she was 99 and in the garden digging up Potatoes. 

Used to work with a guy very active but was a chain smoker 80 a day guy, he still worked full time at 93 and drove a car, he was forced to give up work because of age, and died 16 months later..

No idea is living healthy going to lead to a long life ? or even a illness free life ? 

Myself being Diabetic for 35 year have to watch what I eat, worse thing is getting old remembering to take my Med's and Insulin  

Scince retiring in Thailand (4th extension coming up next month), I've only had cheap outpatient care at clinics and govt. hospitals.  I don't mind the wait as I am an avid people watcher and love to pick out (not up) the eye candy.  

At 66 I drive around in my pickup but will not ride on or on the back of motorcycles.  Except when my wife drives me around in her big covered farang size "sa'ling" if we are going local or nearby, with helmets on if we are going away from our village.

My only inpatient care was ten days in the US with MRSA 2005.

We will maintain number one car insurance to cover accidents and we have money in the bank that I can transfer over here to cover major health issues.  My 60 year old wife is covered by the 30 baht scheme so that's a plus and we have the free village hospital next door for minor things.

I recently had a brain MRI and CAT scan at a price that was easily covered by my monthly pensions.

With things in general so cheap here compared to the US our savings keeps growing.  I don't see myself needing the overly and increasingly expensive medical insurance or "Go Fund Me".

If the Thailand govt. would offer major medical hospital insurance for long stay farangs regardless of age and at decent premiums, I would buy in.

When we left the US we decided to live day by day and not worry about the future, just grow old together as long as we can.  Anything that is incurable or needing life support then we just die at home.

After taking care of my previous wife for a year with small cell lung cancer I see no need to prolong life beyond what very bad things life might throw at us.  Life is a chance no matter how much we plan.

I'm coming up to 55 and have had one overnight stay for obs after varicose vein

removal under general anesthetic.

Having worked in an NHS hospital for any years, I fear that the final few weeks of

my life will be spent soiling myself in a drug induced stupor with various family 

members having to witness the indignant spectacle.

That is if I survive all the horrors of Thailand that are reported and commented on 

here daily.

16 hours ago, MrScratch said:

Reminds me of a friend of mine, long dead now. She had an interesting life, was a chorus girl in the West End when WW2 started, joined the Ministry of Defence as a typist to do her bit for the war effort and ended her days as a senior civil servant.

Anyway, in retirement, she drank gin. A lot of it. Her husband tried to stop her, but she took a bottle to the pub in her handbag, and got them to fill it out of the optic. At this time she would have been about 80 years old.

Finally, her husband persuaded (almost ordered) her to go to see the doctor to consult about her drinking habits.

She asked the doctor if it was OK to drink so much at her age. The doctor replied "At your age, you can do whatever you like"

On 4/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, Skallywag said:

Kudos to you for being 70 and healthy.  Would imagine those who had to slave away at a physical job and/or found themselves in dangerous situations are not as lucky and had to spend some time in hospitals.  

Agree at an older age you need to think about "health and diet".  Am over 55 but with old injuries that can cause aches or restrict movements at times.  

Much more likely to not need medical attention or surgery if you "play it safe" your whole life and never take chances and push yourself to the limits.   Downhill skiers, motorcycle racers, bull riders, boxers, and football players all tend to end up in the hospital more than most.  Have been involved with 4 of those 5 sports...

Thanks for your thoughts , Ive never really been one to take chances , no dangerous sports or risky hobbies or sky diving . One thought is what my dear old dad use to say , hard work never killed no body . I wonder how many of the people posting here have like my self and played it safe all their lives and not been involved in any dangerous sports or activities ????

23 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I did pretty well except for a big (6.5 cm) abdominal aortic aneurysm.  Had open surgery and was in the hospital for about 6 days.  Many family members have had aneurysms.

18072.jpg  image.png.575c64d6b13e48a8c2c2b128b2a18a6a.png

Do you often show people the scar on your stomach ????, it must make a great talking point :thumbsup:

I had to google … aneurysms

If many of your family members have had ‘’aneurysms’’ the same as you , could it be a genetic issue or just a common problem.

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Not flawed, there is something in the "quality of life not quantity of life" although thats usually applied to illness and treatment or not as the case may be.

As for diets etc, everything and anything in moderation is my rule, just dont do anything to excess and take regular exercise. Thats it, nothing astounding, just simple and easy.

Look at my signature........on this forum.

"You may not know what you want, but you you sure as hell know what you dont want"

Enjoy your life and find your own "balance".

Quality of life is a good point , just wondering , so could throwing caution to the wind where an ongoing restrictive diet is concerned , be considered gaining a quality of life thing . My problem pre diet was all ways not having the ability of knowing when to stop consuming the things I really like to eat ( chocolate / chips / beef burgers / bacon / fizzy drinks / puddings / pizzas / alcohol / ect ) so those in moderation were a difficult thing to achieve ????

23 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I am 62 and never had a stay.  Well maybe my tonsils out when I was a kid was overnight?  Had a minor kidney stone one early AM that literally fixed itself with an IV.  It was teeny tiny stone that barely showed on the cat scan.  Luckily, or due to my general physical fitness and decent diet, and non smoker, very light drinker, generally low stress level.. no cancer, no heart problems, etc. 

62 , and never had an over night hospital stay , that's really good. I wonder just how much having high stress levels for what ever reason may play a part in ending up with an over night or longer hospital stay ?

23 hours ago, allanos said:

A little of what you fancy does you good, is an old saying.

I also believe if one has been eating and drinking in a certain way for a long time, it becomes habit, and, in my case, I don't have any cravings.

However, if I felt I wanted something "sinful" by way of food or drink, I would go for it, and not feel particularly ashamed of myself for doing so, knowing that I shall simply revert back to my "habit" and continue on life's merry way.

I figure I have maybe 10 good years ahead of me, and am very unlikely to be suddenly sidetracked with binge-drinking alcohol, or binge-eating junk food, to such a degree that it will shorten the remainder of my life by any appreciable amount.

Thanks for the comment , I think part of my own problem relating to saying , enough is an enough where my diet is concerned would be that I no doubt would instantly feel better tucking into a beefburger and chips , but then should some thing health wise happen after I gave up and started to enjoy all the once forbidden foods and drinks . How would I feel then ????

I wonder how many other forum members say to them selves , I figure I have maybe 10 ( X amount ) good years ahead of me. Personally it scares me to death ( pun intended ) to even try and think about how long I may have left ☹️

14 hours ago, ignis said:

Wonder if it is Luck for some people ?  My Mother, diet, never smoked or drank, never had a illness at 42 had a bad throat went to see a Dr, was dead 3 days later.... her younger sister died at 43 Diabetic related, her youngest brother very fit [was a window clearer for years] died of a hart attack at 39..... on the other hand her oldest Sister and brother are still alive in there 90's...  3 Cousins all very fit died young without any illness.. Great Grand ma died of old age at 101, clearly remember going to visit her, she was 99 and in the garden digging up Potatoes. 

Used to work with a guy very active but was a chain smoker 80 a day guy, he still worked full time at 93 and drove a car, he was forced to give up work because of age, and died 16 months later..

No idea is living healthy going to lead to a long life ? or even a illness free life ? 

Myself being Diabetic for 35 year have to watch what I eat, worse thing is getting old remembering to take my Med's and Insulin  

Ah good old Lady Luck . You certainly have a mixed bag of sadness that seems to throw the Genetic idea out of the window.

14 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Scince retiring in Thailand (4th extension coming up next month), I've only had cheap outpatient care at clinics and govt. hospitals.  I don't mind the wait as I am an avid people watcher and love to pick out (not up) the eye candy.  

At 66 I drive around in my pickup but will not ride on or on the back of motorcycles.  Except when my wife drives me around in her big covered farang size "sa'ling" if we are going local or nearby, with helmets on if we are going away from our village.

My only inpatient care was ten days in the US with MRSA 2005.

We will maintain number one car insurance to cover accidents and we have money in the bank that I can transfer over here to cover major health issues.  My 60 year old wife is covered by the 30 baht scheme so that's a plus and we have the free village hospital next door for minor things.

I recently had a brain MRI and CAT scan at a price that was easily covered by my monthly pensions.

With things in general so cheap here compared to the US our savings keeps growing.  I don't see myself needing the overly and increasingly expensive medical insurance or "Go Fund Me".

If the Thailand govt. would offer major medical hospital insurance for long stay farangs regardless of age and at decent premiums, I would buy in.

When we left the US we decided to live day by day and not worry about the future, just grow old together as long as we can.  Anything that is incurable or needing life support then we just die at home.

After taking care of my previous wife for a year with small cell lung cancer I see no need to prolong life beyond what very bad things life might throw at us.  Life is a chance no matter how much we plan.

I like your ,

We decided to live day by day and not worry about the future, just grow old together as long as we can. Anything that is incurable or needing life support then we just die at home.

Sadly I can’t seem to stop worrying , I wish I could and not be so concerned at my advancing age and what may be around the corner ☹️

13 hours ago, myshem said:

I really hope that I will have a chance to visit hospitals to get my legal weed when I will be old !

Ive all ready commented , Ive never really been one to take chances , but the weed may be on my future list ????

15 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Do you often show people the scar on your stomach ????, it must make a great talking point :thumbsup:

I had to google … aneurysms

If many of your family members have had ‘’aneurysms’’ the same as you , could it be a genetic issue or just a common problem.

Yeah, I have quite the zipper belly now.  Incision from nipples to nads, 555.

Aneurysms are a pretty common cause of death.  They tend to be genetic and men are more prone to have one.  My Dad and four brothers had one.  I think I'm the first in my generation to have one.  Had mine burst, I would have died in a couple minutes. 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:39 AM, MrScratch said:

75 and never a night in a hospital , I think your at the top of the list now .:thumbsup:

How about Genetics , do you think it plays any part in the scheme of things

Probably so.    Neither of my parents were ever hospitalized.   Mother died relatively young at 62 and father died at 76.

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Yeah, I have quite the zipper belly now.  Incision from nipples to nads, 555.

Aneurysms are a pretty common cause of death.  They tend to be genetic and men are more prone to have one.  My Dad and four brothers had one.  I think I'm the first in my generation to have one.  Had mine burst, I would have died in a couple minutes. 

Ive been watching a TV series called My 600-Lb Life where people end up having weight loss surgery , the surgery is carried out using keyhole surgery ( minimally invasive surgery carried out through a very small incision, with special instruments and techniques including fiber optics. )

Just looking at your large but neat surgery scar , I instantly thought that if keyhole surgery were possible on you , then you would have only seen several small incision marks on your stomach.

Your thoughts about Aneurysms and the possibility of them being genetic only adds to my genetic list of things that could be affecting the same family . The ‘’ Had mine burst, I would have died in a couple minutes. ‘’ part is a real frightener :shock1:

A big thank you to every one for your thoughts and comments :thumbsup:.  After reading them all one question I would now like to put is this . I’m sure we all want to live as long as possible and enjoy what time we have left , and I’m sure at some point in time we have all asked ourselves one question , a question where the answer can only be a guess or estimation ????

So knowing your medical history , current life style including diet , exercise and possible risk factor from indulging in dangerous activities and sports .

The question is - Being realistic and honest with your self , at your current age ( please say ) how many good years ahead do you think you have left .

Me personally at 70 and with my current life style I think I will see 85 .

Archived