Poll -- How cheap are your dining out Charlies?

Jingthing

This poll topic asks, when dining out, including tax/soft drink/tip what 100 baht gradation represents an "expensive" meal to you PER PERSON?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not even with a sexy waitress who asks the hansom man if he has any other wishes?  

I did actually tip one of them (sexy waitress) but that was in my room later that night and she didn't share the tip with the cook and other wait staff.

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I did actually tip one of them (sexy waitress) but that was in my room later that night and she didn't share the tip with the cook and other wait staff.

You had sex , you posted about having sex , you have posted about having sex in other threads as well .

Are you feeling sexually aroused again ?

10 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Watching too many episodes of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares has made it unbearable for me to eat in restaurants anymore.  :wink:

I saw a couple of short videos of them on YouTube. Soon it was obvious that it's all staged. I didn't watch it then anymore.

20 minutes ago, Cereal said:

The key word in the poll is "expensive". It seems to be misunderstood to a fair degree.

Me, dining out without including the price of alcohol, an expensive meal would be 1000 baht.

And maybe some people think 300B is expensive. I guess depending on where you live that can be expensive compared to all the 100B per person places.

In some places it's possible to get good Thai food for less than 100B. But then again it's also no problem, at least in Bangkok, to buy a steak for > 1000B.

These days, 400 baht for a meal (just food and maybe a soda) is not that expensive if you are eating in a decent restaurant.
Yes, you can eat far cheaper, if your idea of "dining out" means walking out to the soi to get a bowl of som tam from the local vendor on his/her food cart. Or if you walk to the nearest "shop house" Thai food place and come home with a small bag of soup and a small bag of rice and maybe a small fish or skewer of pork.
(Just over a week ago my g/f was craving Thai food and we didn't want to cook so we went to a nearby shop. 2 small bags of soup, bag of rice, small fish, small bag of pork ribs and some weird looking dessert thingy - 330 baht and we had enough for 2 meals so about 85 baht per person/per meal.)

Another night we ordered pizza. A couple small pizzas, wings, 2 pasta dishes and a small tub of ice cream. 1,600 baht and it was enough for 2 meals (average 400 per person/per meal).

Sometimes we go to MK. 2 people, one meal, 900-1,200 baht on average (450-600 baht per person/per meal).

Or you can "dine out" at the food court of a local mall, drink free "filtered" water and eat a small meal for 40(ish) baht. When I'm riding around the country I often eat at one of the gas station "food courts" when I stop to fill up the bike. Plate of rice with green curry chicken (or some other dish) and a soda - 50 baht. I don't consider that "dining out" though.

"Dining Out" is as subjective as "how much do you need to live on each month". For some people, dining out entails a nice restaurant (with table clothes, napkins, porcelain dinnerware and decent flatware) while others think sitting on a plastic chair and eating a bowl of soup on a folding table next to a food cart is "dining out".

Some will sneer at anyone that doesn't live exclusively off of 40 baht meals served in styrofoam containers and others will sneer at anyone who thinks a shopping mall food court is "dining out".

Looking at different restaurants around Pattaya (German, Mexican, English), it seems the average appetizer, soup and salad go for 95+ baht and main course meals for 300+ so a basic meal is nearly 400 already.

Yes - you can find bare bones, cheaper options, even for foreign foods. Just like there are some people who will go into a "decent" restaurant, eat all the free bread sticks (or whatever), order the smallest, cheapest item on the menu, argue that the bottled water should be free and then go (without leaving a tip of course).

(Must suck when there aren't enough balloons to chase and you actually have to buy your own food once in awhile eh ?)

One thing you can count on though. All those pretending that they are quite satisfied with eating as cheaply as possible would certainly be eating much more expensive fare served in much nicer establishments - if they could afford it - and those who can afford more expensive fare in nicer establishments are certainly happy that they don't have to get by on street food served in disposable containers on the side of the road.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

One thing you can count on though. All those pretending that they are quite satisfied with eating as cheaply as possible would certainly be eating much more expensive fare served in much nicer establishments - if they could afford it - and those who can afford more expensive fare in nicer establishments are certainly happy that they don't have to get by on street food served in disposable containers on the side of the road.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. I eat often enough out for 1,000B or more per person. But then I also eat in food courts for less than 100B or rice noodles at the market for 65B for two persons in the middle of Bangkok. It's not necessary to have only one or the other. We can choose three times a day.

21 hours ago, Spidey said:

Even more confusing for those of us from Northern England. We eat dinner at noon, the main meal of the day. Tea is eaten in the evening and is a much lighter meal.

Can I have clarification as I may want to change my vote.

Followed by a fish supper after your 6 - 10 pints. Yeh!

Went for snack last night at a nice hotel.  Me orange juice, gf fruit juice mixture. 390 baht +10% service charge and 7% VAT. plus the food.  I voted 2000 baht as an expensive feed. I would pay 2000 but only on very rare occasions. The poll doesn't take into account the frequency of such meals. Is it meant to mean everyday,once a week/month/year?

The name calling of people who voted 1000 plus is childish.  By definition if you think 400 baht is expensive then every other option above that is also expensive. 

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Nope, 25% of someones daily wage for just one meal ? 

No and service charge &vat etc is usually included in the prices.

Went out for dinner at Cieloe (Sky Bar near Phra Khanong) Sunday night & the bill for 2 of us came to 4,182 THB (Didn't help that cocktails were 450++ & a small bottle of Singha 200++), asked the GF whether a service charge was included & she said yes, 800 THB! - Needless to say I just left the 18 THB in coins, I never pick-up the coins...

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't tip when dining out, there was no 'vote' option for me to choose.

I may tip if I am happy with everything. and definitely know that I will be returning, until recently I always refused to dine anywhere that had that sneaky small letter + 10% service charge and 7% vat.

I now just score off that small print and give the exact money for my meal without that charge, and of course, never return to that restaurant.

Dining out for me is eating food outdoors.

That is either fast-diner : kaomankai-thod and a cup of cold water from the bucket. Total 35thb

Or good-diner: KaoPadKai and a cup of ice with a bottle of coke. 40 for the dish and 12 for the coke.

Missus has the same mostly seafood 50thb, and we share a somtum 30thb

Walking back to the bike, grabbing a bag of fruit snacks, 20 thb.

We arrived on the scene with a bag iced coffee or chayen, 25thb.

Never goes to the restaurant, only on very very special ocassions.

59 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Went out for dinner at Cieloe (Sky Bar near Phra Khanong) Sunday night & the bill for 2 of us came to 4,182 THB (Didn't help that cocktails were 450++ & a small bottle of Singha 200++), asked the GF whether a service charge was included & she said yes, 800 THB! - Needless to say I just left the 18 THB in coins, I never pick-up the coins...

My friends and I drank in 'the Quay' Sky Bar at Phnom Penh every day last week, beer was $1 for a 330ml glass.

No need to tip as they were charging a 25c premium for their beer.

riverside earlty evening.jpg

3 minutes ago, donim said:

Never goes to the restaurant, only on very very special ocassions.

If that happens, then it is mostly to the BBQ.

One price and all you can eat, and we make sure that for the wife there is plenty big gambas available and for me the icecream with strawberry is not out of stock.

Went to MK twice for her, for me not my thing.

Take away pizza, two whole pizza it is.

One slice for her and she is full, and the other 1 and 5/6th for me.

To the 'boat noodles', our 12-15thb per cup  with the staple reaching 1 meter easily.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Followed by a fish supper after your 6 - 10 pints. Yeh!

Old. Unfortunately, you'd do well to find a chippy still open at chucking out time these days. Donner kebabs are the order of the day now.

The pub scene in the UK has totally changed over recent years. Pubs can't survive if they don't serve food. In my local area, the only town centre pub that I can think of that still refuses to serve food is the Market Tavern in Preston. Still has open fires on a cold winters day and all the local characters gather in there to do what pubs are meant for - drinking! 

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

Are you feeling sexually aroused again ?

I’m not sure if he’s the one with the problem. 

Back on subject most my meals are 2-300.  I only really eat Thai food. Now and again I’ll have a 1500 baht seafood blowout. 

I have a midday meal every day and pay around 400 (Irish Pub, Gecko etc).  Sometimes less in other places.  I consider that OK and not dear.  If I go out in the evening (e.g. Chez  Marco)I can expect 700.  Reasonable for the style of restaurant.  I have not included wine in these prices.  I voted 400, but it was difficult to decide.  For instance if I went to Marcos all the time, I don't know if I could afford it for long.  I haven't bothered to work out the finances, so don't know.

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

Really no need to spend more than 200-250 baht with a beer included. Lots of options at the likes of Cheap Charlies on Soi Bukaho. 

Or, better than that, the food court behind the market on Soi Bukaho (from CC, go north to just after the mini Tesco, and before the "R-Con bends")

There one can choose 2 dishes on rice for 40 Baht. If really hungry, add some chicken from the market for another 20 or 40 Baht.

Yes, i know, not fine dining but just to respond to @Ulic and the options are all Thai food rather than that nasty Farang stuff :sorry:

Conversely, breakfast at Smokin' Joes on Soi Lengkee can run to 350Baht for a brilliant Western breakfast with excellent coffee and service.

If I want a real quality Thai meal, the restaurant on the corner of Soi Chayaphum and 3rd road - with a big fish 400 (ish) per person but delicious - many many Thai people eat there and every one I've taken to it (Thai and Farang) has loved it.

As ever....up to yoooo! ????

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Old. Unfortunately, you'd do well to find a chippy still open at chucking out time these days. Donner kebabs are the order of the day now.

The pub scene in the UK has totally changed over recent years. Pubs can't survive if they don't serve food. In my local area, the only town centre pub that I can think of that still refuses to serve food is the Market Tavern in Preston. Still has open fires on a cold winters day and all the local characters gather in there to do what pubs are meant for - drinking! 

Yeh, sad state of affairs. I read yesterday that 76 pubs a month are closing. Wish ONE would open in Phitsanulok. Cheers.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

lunch at KFC.  Ordered 2 breasts and small mashed potatoes.  (speaking Thai) they gave me a wing and a thigh.  Went to table and packed it for my dog.  Back to counter ordered 2 breasts again. Got them this time.  Lunch 100 for the dog and 120 for me. 

I knew all along you were a titty man !  LOL

Archived