Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Aha, so there is a new version of the writing on the back of the pink card.

I just got my Thai daughter in law to check if there are words about '...except foreigners... .' in regard to the travel limitations on my card, DIL is an intelligent well educated lady excellent English, and I explained the background to my question before she read it several times. 

She said it mentions about restrictions on travel but there is no mention of 'except foreigners'. 

I think foreigners should have a reading test in Thai, before getting this card. A 4 year old kid can learn to read.

I expect most of the people I've met with one can't even write their own name.

Edited by Neeranam

15 minutes ago, MikeN said:

CharlieH’s photo is not quite in focus, perhaps you or him could post a nice clear photo of this clause and we could settle the argument once and for all.

thaiidrev.jpg.578b3e079707ec080896b0ac046c6b04.jpg

Starting second line of 3rd clause wen ta phu sung mee ....  dang dao.  roughly translates as "except people who possess important personal documentation of (being) a foreigner.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

That is also NOT TRUE. All that is asked for is that you show it if asked for.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I seem to remember there was a lot of fuss made about this a while back .

1 minute ago, Denim said:

I seem to remember there was a lot of fuss made about this a while back .

You are correct. I recall police in BKK going around fining foreigners that weren't carrying their passports.

• Like 1

Yes.

Yes.

Inasmuch as accepted as ID for a vehicle purchase... but so was the yellow book, Thai DL and passport. Used it at domestic flight check-in and boarding once just to see if it worked. Denied once at an out of province bank (where I did have an account!), never tried it anywhere else. I am happy to pay farang price at parks, etc..

Since the OP hasn't suggested giving the almost essential information about which Amphur it was obtained including his own, then the when, where and how I got mine is largely irrelevant.

But it was in Meuang Udon Thani.

...and YMMV.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Denied once at an out of province bank (where I did have an account!),

Thank you for confirming my statement in post #198

Edited by Rally123
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, rabas said:

thaiidrev.jpg.578b3e079707ec080896b0ac046c6b04.jpg

Starting second line of 3rd clause wen ta phu sung mee ....  dang dao.  roughly translates as "except people who possess important personal documentation of (being) a foreigner.

No, it says except people who have a certificate of alien registration, a form that migrant workers can get if they remain in Thailand a long time. Non-migrant workers can not get this documentation.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

But they have Work Permits, so don't need to use the card.

Everyone I know with PR stopped working years ago, plus WPs dont have an address anymore, do they ?

This is amazing. A pink ID card. Many foreigners on here are interpreting the wording on a simple Thai document, written in Thai, and all are coming up with a different translation/interpretation of the actual intended meaning.

Are these the same people who continually whinge and complain on this forum because some IO's in some Immigration offices in different parts of Thailand use a slightly different translations/interpretations when translating Immigration rules, written in Thai then translated into English??????????????????

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

But they have Work Permits, so don't need to use the card.

A person with permanent residency does not need a work permit unless they are working.

The are registered in a blue house book as well as being able being able to get the pink ID card.

• Thanks 2

On 4/24/2019 at 10:27 AM, CharlieH said:

Please give details of your experience to help others decide if there is an advantage to having one.

Yes, I finally got a pink ID-card for foreigners recently.

Having the pink ID-card at the Amphor office was fairly easy, but required a form from the Tessa Ban office. The staff at the amphor kindly called their colleges at tessa ban, so everything was prepared when I arrived there. Back at amphor office with the right form, and a short interview – they asked about my religion – my photo was taken, and I had to wait a while (a couple of month) for card, as the amphor were out of pink-color film; presume lots of foreigners apply for pink ID-cards after the talk got widely shared in Thaivisa forums...:whistling:

However, you need a Yellow House Book for aliens, to obtain a pink ID-card. From Thaivisa forum posts it seem to be very easy to get a yellow house book in some areas, and quite difficult to obtain one in other areas, including the southern island where I live. I got mine several years ago, shortly after my house was finished, but the process were almost similar to applying for permanent residency, apart from the language test and fee (relative high fee for permanent residency).

I found my yellow house book very useful for proof of address, like in banks, or applying for (renewal of) driver's license, and it also provides me with a Thai identification number, same as a TIN (tax number). The pink ID-card should be a handy pocket-size proof of the information in the yellow house book – and more handy than having a passport in the pocket – I have so far only used my pink ID-card a few times, but it was accepted as ID, instead of the requested passport (typically request in some banks, when cashing money).

In general, its a good feeling having a pink ID-card for aliens in the pocket, I feel more accepted as a Thai resident...????????

I had use for yellow book (tabien baan) / pink ID card quite a few times.

E.g.

Registration of my newborn baby at government hospital, with me as the father, and baby with my surname, in Thai, according to what is stated in yellow book. (Didn't have the ID card in the beginning.)

Renewal of Thai driver's license. Yellow book.

Membership card at Suan Siam (Siam Park City), with free entries for one year. It was advertised as being available only to Thai residents. Pink ID card.

Many places with dual pricing, for example Suan Nong Nooch. Pink ID card. (Some places might accept a Thai driver's license, others not.)

Tried to use my pink ID card to open a new bank account, they wanted a work permit though (which I had), so that was the only time I failed to do something with the ID card.

Edited by Scott

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Someone fed up of carrying their passport. LMAO.

I don't carry my passport. I carry a copy of it. With the exception of Immigration, I can't think of any place that has demanded the passport in lieu of the copy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bertil said:

I had use for yellow book (tabien baan) / pink ID card quite a few times.

E.g.

Registration of my newborn baby at government hospital, with me as the father. Yellow book. (Didn't have the ID card in the beginning.)

Renewal of Thai driver's license. Yellow book.

Membership card at Suan Siam (Siam Park City), with free entries for one year. It was advertised as being available only to Thai residents. Pink ID card.

Many places with dual pricing, for example Suan Nong Nooch. Pink ID card. (Some places might accept a Thai driver's license, others not.)

Tried to use my pink ID card to open a new bank account, they wanted a work permit though (which I had), so that was the only time I failed to do something with the ID card.

You don't need a WP to open a bank account!

This card was made for people who stay in the country illegally and then somebody got the idea to just hand out the same card to other foreigners, so some things don't make sense.

The back side of the card:

1. This is not an ID card

2. You have to stay in your area and be ready for inspection all the time

3. The holder of this card is forbidden to leave the area of where this card was issued, unless he one of two types of documents (non of them is a passport, i don't know what they are and your typicial Thai will also not know what they are), or a special permit.

So actually it should not be possible to register a vehicle, get a driving license or open a bank account with this card alone, because to do this you have to present an ID card, which this card is not.

If you are refused to board an airplane when showing this card the checkin staff did everything right, because the card itself tells him that you are not allowed to leave your area.

This is at least the "official" part of it. Inofficially it may be possible to use this card for different purposes, but this is then mostly because the person to who you give this card has no idea what this card is, but understands that it's an official document and to not lose face they do what you expect them to do.

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Once you get your head around the "its your name in Thai" thing, it becomes more useful, open and operate a Thai (script) name bank account with it, instead of trying to operate an English name account with Thai name ID. If you want to use it for flight checkin, make the booking in Thai script etc.

Sheryl, the mod that answers the medicial questions, was saying in another thread its needed to register at public hospitials to get ongoing social security if you finish working.

Yes my checkups at government hospitals, my wife does all the check in details and apparently the pink un makes it a lot easier, don't ask what it makes simpler though, other than than i've never used it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This card was made for people who stay in the country illegally and then somebody got the idea to just hand out the same card to other foreigners, so some things don't make sense.

The back side of the card:

1. This is not an ID card

2. You have to stay in your area and be ready for inspection all the time

3. The holder of this card is forbidden to leave the area of where this card was issued, unless he one of two types of documents (non of them is a passport, i don't know what they are and your typicial Thai will also not know what they are), or a special permit.

So actually it should not be possible to register a vehicle, get a driving license or open a bank account with this card alone, because to do this you have to present an ID card, which this card is not.

If you are refused to board an airplane when showing this card the checkin staff did everything right, because the card itself tells him that you are not allowed to leave your area.

This is at least the "official" part of it. Inofficially it may be possible to use this card for different purposes, but this is then mostly because the person to who you give this card has no idea what this card is, but understands that it's an official document and to not lose face they do what you expect them to do.

"This is not an ID card" means it not a Thai national ID card, the blue ones that Thais have. which is obvious just by looking at it.

Not sure if you have read the other posts but the "cannot leave the area" applies only to stateless people without a passport. The document they refer to is a document that identifies you as a foreigner, "a passport". 

Its poorly written and doesn't translate well but you can travel anywhere and the ID is valid. The airlines that dont accept the Pink ID mostly do so because its in a different language (Thai) to their booking system (English), they will even say they want an ID with name in English to match whats on their screen.

99% of people , if they get knocked back, get knocked back checking in with a pink ID because its it Thai and doesnt match the english name on the screen. They then presume it was because of whats written on the back or the card. Then they post it on Thaivisa, then the misinformation perpetuates.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are correct. I recall police in BKK going around fining foreigners that weren't carrying their passports.
In 25 years i have never been asked for my actual passport,but once i have had to produce it,i am not talking about western union or a bank,i know when i need to show it,put police never,my Tha driving licence has always done

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

"This is not an ID card" means it not a Thai national ID card, the blue ones that Thais have. which is obvious just by looking at it.

Could be, but not sure

They write "ประจำตัวประชาชน", which is commonly used as the name for the Thai national ID card, this is correct.

But you find official pages which add the word "Thai" to it, so it becomes "บัตรประชาชนไทย" and makes 100% clear that this means the ID card for Thai citizens. This somehow implies that at least the persons who wrote those texts think "บัตรประชาชน" could also refer to ID cards in general and then the first point on this card would indeed mean "This is not an ID card".

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

A few random images from Google:

images-4.jpeg.b9c23a436cf981b0c50c3292c5de946a.jpegIMG_2822.jpg.a28d61cd6a8ea2cfdf58b7159fc2292c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.2ddd425cbdc15011dd11876ced047209.jpgthaidrivinglicense.jpg.4756370aed78e911e6c18247db2c3dac.jpg

Where did they get the transliteration of your name from? Afaik this has to come from a certified translator and is not made by the person at the government office.

Transliteration of your name, the names of your parents etc. is decided by yourself as the translation is made. It's best that you tell the translator how you want your name pronounced so it is written correctly. I'm not sure why you are sharing all these dls, a thai person would have data in thai and english and so would the foreigner if he used his house book when applying for the dl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

A few random images from Google:

images-4.jpeg.b9c23a436cf981b0c50c3292c5de946a.jpegIMG_2822.jpg.a28d61cd6a8ea2cfdf58b7159fc2292c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.2ddd425cbdc15011dd11876ced047209.jpgthaidrivinglicense.jpg.4756370aed78e911e6c18247db2c3dac.jpg

Where did they get the transliteration of your name from? Afaik this has to come from a certified translator and is not made by the person at the government office.

Jeezus Jack, look at the name spellings.

The DLT translated my name for the DL's, but I guess in certain instances you may need the expertise of an experienced translator.

I notice the examples are also all temporary licences.

I had my Passport translated for the Tabien Baan and my name is identical in Thai on both DL and ID card.