TM30 about to get serious in Bangkok?

Just now, userabcd said:

Perhaps immigration should post big signs in airports and border crossings warning all travellers, tourists and resident aliens that they are responsible for ensuring their location is accurately reported within 24hrs to an immigration office at all times after travelling to a new location or themselves risk being fined.

Well, most tourists stay in hotels, so it is a non issue for them.

I would imagine, however, that such sign would greatly disrupt tourist arrivals.

• Like 2

On the matter of reporting the address of a foreigner,  does filing a tm28 myself make it unnecessary for my landlord to file a tm30 or are they both needed ?

I usually found my landlords to be slow and unaware of the requirements. It usually needed my official moving date to be 'flexible'.

2 hours ago, yokat said:

does filing a tm28 myself make it unnecessary for my landlord to file a tm30 or are they both needed ?

The TM.30 notification is in addition to the TM.28 notification.

If you live in a rented residence, the house-master/possessor, ie you, or the owner has to submit the TM.30.

I know this has been asked many times before but:

If living in Thailand on a retirement visa with re-entry permit (CW office) then I take a trip outside Thailand...on return to Thailand , do I need to go to Immigration to file a TM 30 within 24 hours?

Even though address etc not changed? 

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

I would imagine, however, that such sign would greatly disrupt tourist arrivals.

Apparently it is an issue for them, and these were Chinese tourists.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, attrayant said:

I lived with an extended family member in Roi Et, and apparently he did not register me.  This raised a flag in the system at CW, and I had to fork over 800B.

How much over? Itn't the penalty 800b?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I travel in & out every 2 weeks or so & have never done a TM30 but I'm led to believe that I can ask my Condo Management to file it for me (as Hotels do).

Would they understand me if I asked them to "File a TM30" for me or is there another name for it (Registration of Alien?!?) that they're more likely to recognize + should I expect to get some evidence in the form of a printout or something?

Thx

MTV

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Haha 1

I went to renew my annual Non-O visa (Retirement) on Wednesday 24th April at Chaeng Wattana, based on THB800K deposited in Bangkok Bank almost 3 months ago. (For the past 18 years, I've relied on an Embassy letter to certify my pension income).

In addition to my savings account passbook a friend had advised me to take a certified copy of the balance of the account and a certified statement of the transactions within the account with me too. I secured both these signed and stamped documents from the BKK Bank Silom head office late in the afternoon of Tuesday 23rd April (friendly service, no issues). 

At the Chaeng Wattana Immigration Office I was also given courteous service, but the issue of my visa was temporarily halted when I was asked to show a copy of a TM30 filing and receipt (which I didn't have) as well as a copy of my last 90 day report (which I did have).  

At the TM 30 desk (v. long queue) I pointed out that I rent my apartment in Bangkok, that I'm not the owner. The young girl in charge of the desk said, never mind, just fill the form in, and pay the fine (THB800), which I did (another long queue, one poor girl struggling with the paperwork there).

Given the TM30 receipt etc, my visa was renewed at once. 

Queries: 

In relation to filing the TM 30 in future: 
- can I do these filings online or in the post? 
- was the junior official correct to ask me to complete the TM 30 if I'm renting my apartment? If I must, I would in fact prefer to do these filings myself, to avoid troubling my landlord. But am I acting correctly by doing them? 
- do friends who arrive from overseas, who own an apartment here in Bangkok, but make short visits on tourist visas also need to file a T M 30 from now on?

In relation to the certified (signed and stamped) bank documents,
- can the branch of Bangkok Bank downstairs at Chaeng Wattana issue those to save having to make a trip to Bangkok Bank's Silom Head Office?

Advice welcome!

34 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I travel in & out every 2 weeks or so & have never done a TM30 but I'm led to believe that I can ask my Condo Management to file it for me (as Hotels do).

Would they understand me if I asked them to "File a TM30" for me or is there another name for it (Registration of Alien?!?) that they're more likely to recognize + should I expect to get some evidence in the form of a printout or something?

Thx

MTV

Most condos will have already filed for foreigners, my condo has very few foreigners but maintains a file labeled TM-30. The forms in it also say TM-30. So I would ask about TM-30. I only remember being asked for photocopies of my passport. If they say they don't know politely tell them they are required to file.

• Thanks 1

This form (tm 30) is a logistics nightmare and very troublesome to Thais and foreigners who own a few condos that they rent to foreigners long and short term. It is virtually impossible to monitor and report within 24 hours the arrivals of foreign renters.  The only way to report it and avoid being fined if you don't have a tax stamp is to go down to immigration within 24 hours of the renter entering the country. In this case, it is better to not even try to report using the tm 30, but just reimburse the renter if they accrue a fine.

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

I think I'm starting to understand peoeple who want to move to Cambodia, Philippines.....

I mean even if I got Thai Elite Visa what kind of benefit would that give me? Perhaps with failure to report myself the Elite Visa could be revoked.

It's the Thaiway or the Highway...to Cambodia or Phil...

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

Perhaps immigration should post big signs in airports and border crossings warning all travellers, tourists and resident aliens that they are responsible for ensuring their location is accurately reported within 24hrs to an immigration office at all times after travelling to a new location or the aliens risk being responsible for a fine.

Yes, and write

Welcome to Thailand have a nice day Foreigner,  at the bottom,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R123 said:

I know this has been asked many times before but:

If living in Thailand on a retirement visa with re-entry permit (CW office) then I take a trip outside Thailand...on return to Thailand , do I need to go to Immigration to file a TM 30 within 24 hours?

Even though address etc not changed? 

Probably depends on where you live.  In Chiangmai, the answer is "yes."  When I say that, one must (when re-entering the country and returning to your TM30 registered address)   update the TM30.  If your condo office or landlord does that for you, ask for a copy of something so you can later prove it was done.  In Chiangmai, they haven't been strict about the 24-hour rule and people have updated within 4-5 days without a problem.  I update myself (given my landlord doesn't have clue if I've hopped out of the country) and here in Chiangmai it's an easy process usually taking 5 minutes or so (they just stamp a new date on the TM30 Receipt of Notification hopefully stapled in the back of your passport). Typical fine up here for messing up the TM30 process is 1,600 baht (why it's double the 800 baht mentioned in this thread is beyond me).

Here in Chiangmai, they have no use for a TM28 and typically hand it back to whoever attempts to file one. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pravda said:

I agree with your choice of "most" BUT, even on a SETV, if you stay in Thailand for more than 60 days, and visit Immigration for an extension, the TM30 should have been filed by wherever you are staying.

When I did this in Jomtien, the owner of the hotel I was staying in gave me a printout showing my details that he had entered on the Immigration website. The IO looked at it and put the blank TM30 that he was about to give me, away.

I've done this successfully 3 times over the last 3 years.

I realise that Jomtien is probably different from CW but I merely mention it "FYI"

7 minutes ago, CMBob said:

ypical fine up here for messing up the TM30 process is 1,600 baht (why it's double the 800 baht mentioned in this thread is beyond me).

Here in Chiangmai, they have no use for a TM28 and typically hand it back to whoever attempts to file one. 

It's because Chiang Mai immigration is twice as corrupt as everywhere else.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1