Rent dispute Brit to be deported

snoop1130

Rent dispute Brit to be deported

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1556879560_1-org.jpg

The deportation process has begun for David Maclean after he was forcibly removed from a condo in Phuket Town having locked himself inside for nearly four months. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- Australian-born British national David Maclean will be deported and banned from re-entering Thailand for five years after he was forcibly removed from a condo in Phuket Town yesterday (May 2).

Mr Maclean was taken into custody at about 3pm yesterday after Phuket Immigration officers entered the ninth-floor condo at the “Supalai Park at Phuket City” complex on Nakorn Rd from a fire truck ladder.

The officers smashed a window to gain entry to the rear of the condo while regular police officers kept Mr Maclean occupied by talking to him through the front door.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/rent-dispute-brit-to-be-deported-71309.php#xtemd5LdqHQw0KGe.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-03

3 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Hope he doesn't go completely wacko on the flight back, probably in need of some heavy medication before boarding.

I don't think he was wacko given what he was trying to achieve. Probably not the best of doing it of course.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

He’s mentally ill FF5. Sure they needed to intervene but for this public method and proposed tear gas, for a man who clearly doesn’t have all his faculties, have a bit of reason and compassion. Hope he’s able to recover quickly. Leaving LoS might help.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Why wasn't this resolved sooner from the front door, I'm aware it was barricaded but law enforcement could, should have acted at the beginning. They new he was on overstay and did nothing. Ugly it may be but a pepper spray or tear gas canister would have done it. 

I agree he should have been evicted promptly, however do you have any idea what a tear gas canister would do to the landlords property? So called tear gas is actually a powder and is extremely hard to get rid of!

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

I would hope the airline chosen makes more informed enquiries about his health before accepting him as a passenger! Too many risks to the airline & passengers possibly?

The captain of the flight decides whether a passenger should be allowed to travel on the aircraft.

According to the World Health Organization, this decision is based on whether the passenger "is fit to travel, needs medical attention or presents a danger to other passengers and crew or to the safety of the aircraft." If any of those conditions are met, the traveler is refused passage.

The airline may have more restrictive requirements than the WHO.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/airline-right-refuse-sick-passenger-109144.html

• Like 1

If i recall correctly they actually waited for his visa to expire before breaking in, as it was already established that he suffers from some mental condition.
They wanted to give him a chance to evict himself without using force and that is actually somthing to be praised.

And I think it safe to assume they went in through the window to keep him from jumping out...

16 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Why wasn't this resolved sooner from the front door, I'm aware it was barricaded but law enforcement could, should have acted at the beginning. They new he was on overstay and did nothing. Ugly it may be but a pepper spray or tear gas canister would have done it. 

What is it about pepper spray that you see as better than smashing the window?

2 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

He's not going anywhere till he pays a fine and purchases a THAI o/way ticket to UK or Oz. Maybe 30K all up not incl unpaid rent.

You cannot be deported till you've paid baht.

Go Fund Me Perhaps.

Not strictly true, the officer has the power to ask them to pay the bill, rather than as you are suggesting, that they must ask them to pay it.