Aircon prob

cheeryble

Hi

we had a LG dual inverter installed a few months ago.

Its actually only been turned on a few times, always fine.

Had a builder work in the room briefly, presume he put on the AC.

Arrived later it was flashing "Co" on the unit but blower slot closed

Played around with the remote eventually got the required lowest temp showing on the unit and the remote.

Fan working, compressor too, but no cooling.

Below is the remote readout at that time

Whats going on? 

IMG_7190.JPG.40fd9e1cd1fabf72426d46f464381941.JPG&key=f432bf2cbdfb1a3b1be984286c47af8c1b3bfcd564eb4bddd1bb929647ddbfba

This is the same model but he’s speaking too fast for me to understand

Edited by cheeryble

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks that's a useful site Kwasaki.

Hope you saw my post after I edited u were v quick!!

ANyway

"The "CO" indicates cleaning operation and can be switched of via remote button under flap, labelled AUTO CLEAN."

first thing is I seem to have got rid of the Co, leaving the remote screen as shown but no cooling.

Second things is he speaks of "remote button under flap labelled auto clean"

No clues to where the "flap" is.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Second things is he speaks of "remote button under flap labelled auto clean"

No clues to where the "flap" is.

Well I look at our LG it's an older model and its got no flap on remote or internal unit.

I guest you have tried turning it off at the main switch wait and switch back on again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Yes I turned off ten seconds

Try it again (have a cuppa), but it sounds awfully like it's died (no coolant).

Time to call the man methinks ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Try it again (have a cuppa), but it sounds awfully like it's died (no coolant).

Time to call the man methinks ????

Hmmm

Wife was looking through receipts and didn't shout "Eureka" would turn an annoying thing to most annoying if we had to pay!

I was thinking it may have something to do with the timer but if I had the blower working (not cold though) shouldn't be that eh? I guess the question is with the set up showing on the remote above should it be tickety boo or not

We don't have an LG, but what's on the display seems sensible particularly if the outdoor unit is running.

EDIT Dumb question, what's your supply voltage??

• Like 1

I had a Mitsu that would do that at times (usually after a power out).  I finally worked out that if I turn off at the remote, then turn off the breaker for 10 minutes, then on the breaker, then on at the remote:  5 minutes later the compressor would finally start.  Don't know why but that worked for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, madmen said:

Try 30 mins. Has there been any recent power outages? Still worth trying

https://georgebrazilhvac.com/blog/how-to-restart-your-ac-after-a-power-outage

There were power outages a week or two ago round most of CM but there have been no switches tripped.

I think George Brazil is referring to that happening. Thanks anyway 

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We don't have an LG, but what's on the display seems sensible particularly if the outdoor unit is running.

EDIT Dumb question, what's your supply voltage??

Yes the display looks OK to me

Unless we've entered the twilight zone v = 220-240

15 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I had a Mitsu that would do that at times (usually after a power out).  I finally worked out that if I turn off at the remote, then turn off the breaker for 10 minutes, then on the breaker, then on at the remote:  5 minutes later the compressor would finally start.  Don't know why but that worked for me.

Holy smoke.

Just now, cheeryble said:

Unless we've entered the twilight zone v = 220-240

I meant what is it right now? It's common for inverters to protect themselves if the supply is low.

• Like 1

Your particular model of LG is the same as mine and you will not find a video on you tube with the same remote.

Took me ages to decipher the Thai handbook to understand the remote but did find a AI setting which automatically sets it to some perfect temperature. As yet i just switch on and switch off using the orange button.

Its very annoying when someone tampers with settings and this is probably whats happened to you.

Hope thats all it is anyway.

Ps...in april it was used for 12hrs every night as we had guests and my monthly electric bill went up by only 150bt only 5bt a day thats incredible.

• Like 1

I have some LG service literature for inverter AC control boards and both list Co code as indoor unit in auto clean mode which disables compressor and enables indoor fan for a time period.

The mode is entered by single button or mode sequence on other models. I have no idea what the mode sequence is, maybe a sequence of buttons from the remote.

The LG video in OP mentions auto clean but does not mention any enable or disable sequence

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

I meant what is it right now? It's common for inverters to protect themselves if the supply is low.

Searched high and low for the multimeter. Guess thats what happens when you move house.

1 minute ago, cheeryble said:

Searched high and low for the multimeter. Guess thats what happens when you move house.

You will find it when you return from buying a new one ????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Your particular model of LG is the same as mine and you will not find a video on you tube with the same remote.

Took me ages to decipher the Thai handbook to understand the remote but did find a AI setting which automatically sets it to some perfect temperature. As yet i just switch on and switch off using the orange button.

Its very annoying when someone tampers with settings and this is probably whats happened to you.

Hope thats all it is anyway.

Ps...in april it was used for 12hrs every night as we had guests and my monthly electric bill went up by only 150bt only 5bt a day thats incredible.

I suspect we bought at the same place. 

Latest news is the guy who was doing some jobs when this problem started went by to take a look.

Messaged my wife that all was hunky dory.

I went in later and it was blowing as it was for me before, but not cold,

GO figure.

Missus can't find the receipt or manual.

Given this catalog of errors I think I'll get a man round instead of wasting time.

May as well try the shop we bought at, she'll know us but kinda doubtful we'll get it done free without paperwork, but who knows maybe paperwork will show up. 

Will probably contact you Mr Eyecatcher.

Your elec economy sounds triffic

Update

Missus got a favourite air guy round.

The settings i had on the remote were ok though he pulled the swing flap up and pressed a little button to make it go.

But no cold.

Went to the compressor  suspecting low freon.

But no, he thinks its electronics in the compressor, something that controls a valve.

Asked about warranty suggesting use LG call centre.

Wife has got hold of the shop she bought and despite no bill right now cant find it she sent them the number of the data plate on the compressor. AFAIK an LG guy will come today.

At least I wasn't an idiot.

Edited by cheeryble

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is what I keep telling SWMBO, she usually doesn't agree ????????

So your Missus thinks cheeryble is an idiot?

• Haha 2

Wait til you hear this:

LG guy came round, I wasn't there as he was late (at least he called.)

I later called the wife asking "All done?"

She said no. 

i just heard the most amazing story.

He told her the room was too big for the aircon.

Case closed.

In fact the room is about 80sqm and its a 18,000BTU machine.

There is another aircon in there but not an inverter so I'd figured most of the year it's not too hot just use the inverter,....if very hot turn both on.

I started telling my missus what I believe is true which is aircons are always overrated as they're supposed to take the temp down to 16deg C on the hottest day of the year.. In fact his heat is rare and in any case who needs 16degC most people are more than happy with 25.....i certainly am.

There's also a possibility to use a localised floor fan for super hot times.

My wife thinks I'm a cheapskate and we should change it for a bigger machine.

And I reply.......but this one still doesn't work!!

She says "the machine is straining too much and has broken down.

i reply the machine is designed to work at full load indefinitely.

How would you guys deal with it?

18k BTU for 80 sqm is way to small.  Although of course it should still work. 

I have 2 x 24k BTU for 2 rooms total 80sqm and they are struggling in this heat. Yea they get cold but reaching 21c aint gonna happen

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

18k BTU for 80 sqm is way to small.  Although of course it should still work. 

I have 2 x 24k BTU for 2 rooms total 80sqm and they are struggling in this heat. Yea they get cold but reaching 21c aint gonna happen

YEs it's small I chose it that way.

Can use both machines if I wish.