Condo squat Brit moved to Bangkok, fined, awaiting deportation

snoop1130

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“His health is fine and normal. He can walk and eat well,” Maj Tosapon added.

I am pleased this person decided on a career in immigration, and didn't choose a career in the medical profession. 

9 hours ago, GBW said:

he was fined about B2,500 or B3,000 by the Phuket Provincial Court for overstaying,” Maj Tosapon Kitilap of the Phuket Immigration Office told The Phuket News today (May 8).

This guys permit ran out on the 21/2/19. Why is the overstay fine only 2500 or 3000? I dont get it.

Because the court will knock some of the fine off

5 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

The UK Government doesn't have any money, except what is paid into the treasury by UK Taxpayers (like myself).

I certainly don't pay Tax so my money can be used to bail out people who make wrong choices.  This is about acting in a civilised manner, and being responsible for your own choices and actions.

I don't know the story here, but if the guy has mental health problems that is a concern.  It seems that his 'beef' was that the landlord didn't issue him with a receipt for his rent - so what?  Was his tenancy under threat?  I rented a condo from a Thai in Bangkok for years, never got a receipt for rent, because it's just a piece of paper acknowledging a monthly sum.  If the guy was causing a noise over such a little thing, maybe it's a good thing that he gets deported?

Your taxes don't pay for legal aid for people who made 'wrong choices'?. Of course it does and much, much more. 

• Like 1

As I and other expats have said on this forum it doesn't matter about fines outside Bangkok. You have to fly direct to your home country with THAI airways and that means Bangkok for most foreigners.

His small fine in Phuket has nothing to do with overstay.

In IDC Sathorn he will be sent in a black wagon to the civil court in Thonburi ; fine will be about 12 k baht plus  THAI air ticket to Heathrow maybe 15 K baht. That's it !.  Someone back in the  UK will have to cable money. TIT

No one pays ?  He rots in IDC Sathorn with all the lovesick farang, Africans and Cambodians.

11 hours ago, GBW said:

he was fined about B2,500 or B3,000 by the Phuket Provincial Court for overstaying,” Maj Tosapon Kitilap of the Phuket Immigration Office told The Phuket News today (May 8).

This guys permit ran out on the 21/2/19. Why is the overstay fine only 2500 or 3000? I dont get it.

A court decides on a penalty for overstay under section 81 of the Immigration Act.

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked
shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or
both.

Immigration offices issue fines under section 84.

Section 84 : In all offenses under this Act, except the provisions of Section 62 Para.1 Section 63 , 64, 71
and 82 Para.2. The settlement Commission ,consisting of the Police Department’s Director General or
Representative, the Public Prosecution Department’s Director General or Representative, and the
Immigration Division’s Commander or Representative, as the, members shall have the authority to assign
duty of settlement to the Inquiry Official or the competent official by fixing a settlement rule or any
conditions as the Settlement Commission my deem proper.
When the offender has paid the fine as stipulate, the case shall be deemed settled under the
Criminal Procedure Code.

Lots of confusion here. This man has obviously been fined by a local court for overstaying his visa, by 3000 bath I guess (that was the amount of my own fine). That means he was arrested for it, and the 20.000 bath fine is therefor out of the picture. There is no further fine to be paid, just his ticket home. This is common practice from places like Koh Samui and Phuket. They give the fine locally. If its closer to Bangkok, you get locked up at IDC first, and then pay your fine almost an hour`s drive away in Bangkok, the following next couple of days.

The article states that he has been moved to Bangkok, and that is for the purpose of staying locked up at IDC until he can pay for his own ticket home.

This has nothing to do with reporting, TM30 etc.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:06 AM, Wake Up said:

Feel for this guy as we are all vulnerable to tragedy and poor decisions with consequences.  But this man is a poster board of why all countries should require all expats old and young and all tourists to have a certain verifiable minimum of assets and paid up to date health insurance ( or self insured money amount).

If you don’t have these minimum assets then you cannot financially take care of yourself. IMO you should be located in your birth country to help take care of you paid for by your birth countries tax money and charities.  Humans don’t have the right to live anywhere in the world we want and not be financially stable. 

How do you know he had no money ??????????????

Edited by brianthainess

On 5/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, rodentwarrior said:

The UK Government doesn't have any money, except what is paid into the treasury by UK Taxpayers (like myself).

I certainly don't pay Tax so my money can be used to bail out people who make wrong choices.  This is about acting in a civilised manner, and being responsible for your own choices and actions.

I don't know the story here, but if the guy has mental health problems that is a concern.  It seems that his 'beef' was that the landlord didn't issue him with a receipt for his rent - so what?  Was his tenancy under threat?  I rented a condo from a Thai in Bangkok for years, never got a receipt for rent, because it's just a piece of paper acknowledging a monthly sum.  If the guy was causing a noise over such a little thing, maybe it's a good thing that he gets deported?

You are talking to the converted, I totally agree with everything you say. I am merely stating the procedures of the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Also, if they do repatriate a British National, there is a marker if their passport is active that they cannot fly out of the UK until the debt is repaid.

A new passport will also not be granted until the debt is repaid and rightly so.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

He's walking and eating well!  A spell in IDC will soon put a stop to that!  The poor bloke is really in for it now.

Indeed, a whole world of pain for some stupid receipt.  Barking if you ask me.  Still, we can't live others lives for them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Indeed, a whole world of pain for some stupid receipt.  Barking if you ask me.  Still, we can't live others lives for them. 

He won't get out until he comes up with the money for the flight back home.  Given he's half way mad already, he could become very seriously ill. 

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

He won't get out until he comes up with the money for the flight back home.  Given he's half way mad already, he could become very seriously ill. 

Bang on the money.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:50 PM, sapson said:

Well done you have won todays thai visa empathy award!!! Your compassion is truly stunning.

Who knows what mental and physical issues have got him into this situation.

But how do people with "mental issues" get the money for the airfare here? And then the deposit and the months rent in advance for a condo?

And then not have anything left? Possibly the last question answers the first two but also possibly not, only meeting the man face to face would answer that.

Be cheaper and easier to rent a room in a bar/guesthouse by the month.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, rodentwarrior said:

he was paying the rent to the landlords son and suspected he was just pocketing it.

The parents (or whoever landlord) could then say they have no record and the rent hasnt been paid for

X months.

you dont think that could be an issue?

• Like 1