"Returning the sidewalk to pedestrians" - 154 motorcyclists fined in capital on Friday

rooster59

"Returning the sidewalk to pedestrians" - 154 motorcyclists fined in capital on Friday

footpath.JPG

Image: Sanook

One of Thailand's leading policemen took part with a TACTICS task force and local officers in a crackdown on motorcyclists using the sidewalks on Friday. 

Pol Lt-Gen Piya Uthayo was in attendance near Central Pin Klao in a move that Sanook said was returning the sidewalk to pedestrians. 

In one day 104 riders were fined in Thonburi (the western side of the city) and 50 on the Bangkok side of the river. 

The police said that since 6th July 2018 19,899 riders had been stopped netting 10,626,600 baht in fines. 

The operations against motorcyclists will continue with heavier fines for those that cause injuries to pedestrians, reported the media. 

A deliveryman was hospitalized last week following a collision with a motorcycle on a sidewalk in Thonburi. 

Thaivisa notes that yesterday's public show was likely a response to that high profile incident that was caught on clear CCTV outside a noodle shop.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Thaivisa notes that yesterday's public show was likely a response to that high profile incident that was caught on clear CCTV outside a noodle shop.

Or should that read, "highly profitable incident for the police":

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The police said that since 6th July 2018 19,899 riders had been stopped netting 10,626,600 baht in fines

• Sad 1

They could make a fortune just stationing themselves permanently on Ratchadapisek or Mo Chit by the BTS and fining the motocy taxi riders.

But this may interrupt the “fees” that are no doubt paid to certain officials to permit the practice, like so much here.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, legend49 said:

The police said that since 6th July 2018 19,899 riders had been stopped netting 10,626,600 baht in fines.

How many have paid the fine?

They used to take the motorbikes away and put them in a compound until the fine was paid, unless it's changed now?

• Like 1

At least 15,400 motorcyclists and probably three times that ride habitually on the pavements...not to mention the food stalls and other 'businesses' that block pedestrian access. Arresting 154 motorcyclists and fining them tuppence isn't really going to help. Impound the bikes dammit.

The farcical and juvenile behavior exhibited by all involved in fiasco's such as this is embarrassing for the nation. 

No one cares at all - these crackdowns are nothing more than media-lip-service to falsely give  the impression that something is being done, no one believes the facade, everyone understands the game. The Police and those in positions of decision making power are so apathetic towards these issues any momentum gained dies on its feet within days... 

Nothing ever changes, habits remain, the entitled behavior of those repeatedly riding and driving dangerously are never impacted, the fines to small, the policing too apathetic, the 'couldn't give a f£$k factor' at an all time high.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

19,899 bikers in 11 months; try to imagine how many billions they would have made if the BiB would have seriously done their job properly?

I assume that there are 50'000 - 100'000 bikers roaming on the pavements each and every day. Taking them to the cleaners once, twice and possibly three times - would do the trick.

The good news is, that if the BiBs would have been dedicated, the government could have bought another three submarines ???? - and paid cash!

Perhaps the task force could also tackle the taxi drivers who love to shake their head rather than accept fares, and who then complain they are poor as it's hard to make a living as a driver. You know, those who can't work out that if they give someone a ride to where they want to go then the passenger gives then money. That concept seems to be over the head of many.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

19,899 riders had been stopped netting 10,626,600 baht in fines. 

I don't think fines are having much success in stopping sidewalk offences but the "coffers" are full!

I was in Chiang Mai sitting at a sidewalk business when the Thai Post carrier drove down the sidewalk delivering mail.  Didn't even slow down but just flipped the mail on a table.  I was impressed.

No - there is no hope for change.

Edited by connda

Near where I live on Sukhumvit they have just opened a pizza shop, there will often be about 8 motorcycles parked on the pavement outside the shop. 

I could get 154 fines a day just sitting outside the shop. 

22 hours ago, SS1 said:

Good work. I just hope that instead of riding on the sidewalk, they won't just all switch to riding on the roadside the wrong way. 

example near my home every day there's a traffic jam the cars pile into 3 rows on a 2 lane road. There is literally zero space to get through unless climbing on the sidewalk. If the cars respected the road markings, there would be no need to do so... 

your right  .... one step at at time   ... hopefully they will continue ... 

I do applaud police action in this case, but a police general in attendance? In the alternative world, the officers that get things done are of much lower rank, do more, get paid more and are accountable to those they serve. Photo ops are great whitewash for a more serious dysfunction.