Sidewalk motorcyclists: More CCTV cameras in July as battle lines drawn in Bangkok

webfact

Sidewalk motorcyclists: More CCTV cameras in July as battle lines drawn in Bangkok

10pm.jpg

Cap: Riding on the sidewalk - heavy penalties

Tnews reported that 600 additional CCTV cameras are being installed in Bangkok to catch motorcyclists who ride on the sidewalk. 

In addition the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority, the Department of Land Transport and the Telecommunications Ministry are working together to share data so that riders can be spotted and fined. 

Tnews said motorcycles on the sidewalks was a big problem in Thailand and policing and local authority provision was not adequate to catch many riders.

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Tnews

Consequently motorcyclists just ignored the law. They pictured many riders flagrantly ignoring signs that threatened 5,000 baht fines. 

The new cameras will be installed by sometime in July. Existing CCTV cameras will be redirected to catch motorcyclists. 

The cameras are also there to stop cars using the sidewalk and illegal parking of all vehicles. 

Big fines were promised - come July.

Thaivisa notes that the issue has been around for decades with no effective solution ever proving successful. 

Source: Tnews

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-05
  • Like 1

Every chance if a farang pedestrian caused interference to a pavement motorcyclist resulting in an accident they would be set upon and beaten. Thai loss of face would come into play immediately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tnews reported that 600 additional CCTV cameras are being installed in Bangkok to catch motorcyclists who ride on the sidewalk. 

How about 600 cops on the streets with a mandate to stop motorcyclist on sidewalk and along with penalties that motorcyclists will not simply laugh at - like confiscation of the motorcycle?  CCTV cameras.  What a joke.

• Like 1

What they call a big fine is peanuts.  The thing to do is confiscate every Bike filmed on the pavement and either crush them or make the owners pay 20,000 Baht to get them back, then people may start waking up to 'Law Enforcement'.  Treating errant Thai's with impunity and /or like children with the stupid 'Tolerant Society' excuse is completely useless !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Ministry are working together to share data so that riders can be spotted and fined. 

More money for the coffers... how about revoking licences... it they have one?

If not a month in the nearest barracks!!

22 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

What they call a big fine is peanuts.  The thing to do is confiscate every Bike filmed on the pavement and either crush them or make the owners pay 20,000 Baht to get them back, then people may start waking up to 'Law Enforcement'.  Treating errant Thai's with impunity and /or like children with the stupid 'Tolerant Society' excuse is completely useless !

But that takes effort... What do they do with 30 bikes confiscated on the side of the road, they'd have to get them to the impound, they'd have to get them on a truck... that takes effort and work...  the BiB are not about effort and work, they're about making a 100B from each person as quickly as possible and move on to the next.

14 minutes ago, transam said:

The BiB could earn a lot of money if only they got out there..

Folk on bikes do exactly what they want because there is no BiB out there to worry about..

Indeed....  When motorcyclists jump lights right under the noses of the Policemen in the Police Boxes we soon learn that every motorcyclist has free rein to do what they want when they want because the Police will simply not make any effort to do anything about them. 

Just dealing with the pavements / sidewalks alone - it would take the BiB to patrol them on foot and stop any motorcyclist - then call up a 'recovery unit' to remove the bike until the rider can pay a serious fine (i.e. 1000 baht +).

But being realistic - have you ever seen the BiB here patrolling anywhere on foot?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed....  When motorcyclists jump lights right under the noses of the Policemen in the Police Boxes we soon learn that every motorcyclist has free rein to do what they want when they want because the Police will simply not make any effort to do anything about them. 

Just dealing with the pavements / sidewalks alone - it would take the BiB to patrol them on foot and stop any motorcyclist - then call up a 'recovery unit' to remove the bike until the rider can pay a serious fine (i.e. 1000 baht +).

But being realistic - have you ever seen the BiB here patrolling anywhere on foot?

I can't recall seeing them anywhere where I live, except if there is a hi-so thingy going on then the whistles are out in force...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I can't recall seeing them anywhere where I live, except if there is a hi-so thingy going on then the whistles are out in force...

See them all the time in and around Malls where they get free food and drink from the Vendors for 'protecting them'.....don't laugh !

Right. CCTVs, lol.

What they need to do:

First offense - confiscate the bike, impound it, only release it upon payment of a fine plus impound costs. If payment not received (because the rider is a deadbeat douchebag driving without a license anyway) then sell the bike to cover the costs.

Second offense - same as above, plus jail time.

A while ago I met an older Thai gentleman who broke his leg walking on the sidewalk. Some drunk kid driving without a license smacked right into him. The next day the kid's family came over to beg "he's a nice kid" blah blah blah. In any other country the kid would be sitting in jail and never do it again, but TIT so I'm sure he was shown leniency and keeps driving drunk.

And WHAT IS IT with Thais driving drunk? The people I see doing it don't think they're doing anything wrong! Crazy.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I live near a 5 way junction in Saimai and what you said is correct. The lights work well and a police box but still its chaos. All these extra motorcycle couriers are a menace...checking phone while driving.

Forget Prayut and his like running this country..its the fuzz that run it really IMHO. I will wait for the "police should be paid more before they do anything brigade"

5 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

The fancy thing between the left and right mouse button? SCNR

Yes I know about mice, but see no relevance.

¿"SCNR"? Maybe I am just thick.