Airport Beggar?

Sujo

Im now at Suv airport at around gate 6 entrance to departures.

A guy asks if I speak english. He was maybe late 50's and British but maybe from the north as his accent a little hard to understand.

I didnt get the whole story but essentially he says he booked a flight online and went to check in but now they said there is more cost. I noticed he had a small satchel in one hand and a passport and a couple 1000 baht notes in the other.

It just didnt seem right. He also had no baggage near him which set off my scam alert. I told him the only way I could help was to go to the airline desk but he declined. Wasnt too happy either.

Anyone else encounter this guy before?

• Thanks 2

Ha!  Just recently as I was leaving a restaurant, I was called to by a guy who was leaning on his SUV.  He said he just ran out of gas and wanted a few bucks.  I said sure.  Hop in your car and follow my car to the Shell Station that is literally 500 yards down the road and I will put some gas in your car.  he said no.  OK.  Good luck on your next scam I said.

I had a guy stop me last year getting off at Stansted Airport near London ... I cut him off before his sob story got into full swing ... and moved swiftly on. Sounds like a similar con. Perhaps people are more gullible when travelling?

We had a guy, european I think stop us in Sukhumvit, around Soi 11 early one morning and he asked for 10 baht.  He looked like he was down on his luck, dirty and wearing old clothes.  Quite sad really.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, lujanit said:

We had a guy, european I think stop us in Sukhumvit, around Soi 11 early one morning and he asked for 10 baht.  He looked like he was down on his luck, dirty and wearing old clothes.  Quite sad really.

I just don't get this 'sad' business.  His life, his choices. 

• Sad 3

Jeeeez!...what's the world coming to...A guy tried to con me out of a few Baht today (amount un-important)...better get on the blower immediately and inform all in sundry about this audacious act?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

A year ago arriving at Danang Airport in Viet was approached by a young guy, German I think, who was having problems accessing money from an ATM. It was a Cirrus card, not Visa or MC, and not listed as being usable on the ATMs. When he said he used the card ok in Thailand, and he hadn't paid his USD 30 visa on arrival in Vietnam but Immigration allowed him out to access money first, alarm bells sounded. He said he only ever travelled with one card over the past 3 months and the card looked like it had had a lot of use, very worn looking.. I saw it as a scam and suggested he get some money sent Western Union from family or friends. Who travels from Europe or anywhere with only one debit card and no credit card?? I was almost going help him with a $50 handout until I saw warning signs of it being a scam. 

6 minutes ago, owenm said:

A year ago arriving at Danang Airport in Viet was approached by a young guy, German I think, who was having problems accessing money from an ATM. It was a Cirrus card, not Visa or MC, and not listed as being usable on the ATMs. When he said he used the card ok in Thailand, and he hadn't paid his USD 30 visa on arrival in Vietnam but Immigration allowed him out to access money first, alarm bells sounded. He said he only ever travelled with one card over the past 3 months and the card looked like it had had a lot of use, very worn looking.. I saw it as a scam and suggested he get some money sent Western Union from family or friends. Who travels from Europe or anywhere with only one debit card and no credit card?? I was almost going help him with a $50 handout until I saw warning signs of it being a scam. 

I wouldn't even bother talking to such people. They've all got one sob story or another.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nahkit said:

And you don't think that there are any circumstances where a choice made by somebody else can effect your life?

I didn't say that.  I'm talking about choices made by an individual that results in consequences to that person, not decisions made by others that may impact on an individual.  There is a huge difference between the two. Either way, I would not give to an unknown stranger in an airport, or anywhere else for that matter.  

• Sad 1

On 7/2/2019 at 6:57 PM, bkk6060 said:

Declining economy, frozen pensions, deteriorating exchange rates, Brexit and political dysfunction must be very stressful.

This Brit must be very desperate to be outside a foreign airport attempting to pull off an alledged scam.

Very sad indeed.

Not really. It is all in a day’s work for him. Just like regular 9-5 hours. Also cannot be caught out without work permit because he scams foreigners only and on departure only  meaning departing foreigners minus the expats would not meet him again in the near future. All good. I have had the chinese middle age couple pulling this stunt at international airports in Malaysia, Bangkok as well as Singapore. They targeted only the Chinese whom I am also one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

18 hours ago, owenm said:

A year ago arriving at Danang Airport in Viet was approached by a young guy, German I think, who was having problems accessing money from an ATM. It was a Cirrus card, not Visa or MC, and not listed as being usable on the ATMs. When he said he used the card ok in Thailand, and he hadn't paid his USD 30 visa on arrival in Vietnam but Immigration allowed him out to access money first, alarm bells sounded. He said he only ever travelled with one card over the past 3 months and the card looked like it had had a lot of use, very worn looking.. I saw it as a scam and suggested he get some money sent Western Union from family or friends. Who travels from Europe or anywhere with only one debit card and no credit card?? I was almost going help him with a $50 hand out until I saw warning signs of it being a scam. 

I think all international airports have the same rule.... not letting anybody pass immigration into the country without proper procedure and payment. It is what it is. What irks me is 

the absence of ATMs inside airport airside for convenience. 

Edited by Ctkong

2 hours ago, nahkit said:

Yes, the op is about a beggar in an airport but your post #11, which is the one I replied to, wasn't about the airport beggar, it was about seeing someone down on their luck in the street. No-one knows how that person got to where they are now, to just dismiss it as a poor life choice shows a lack of empathy in my opinion.

It's not just a lack of empathy for westerners in Thailand in that condition that end up begging here, I have no empathy for them at all. 

On 7/3/2019 at 2:03 AM, gk10002000 said:

Ha!  Just recently as I was leaving a restaurant, I was called to by a guy who was leaning on his SUV.  He said he just ran out of gas and wanted a few bucks.  I said sure.  Hop in your car and follow my car to the Shell Station that is literally 500 yards down the road and I will put some gas in your car.  he said no.  OK.  Good luck on your next scam I said.

I would have asked to see his gas gauge.