New shopping center etc ??

thaitero

Funny enough I was told today that CP had bought land on the main road 2 klm before Silverlake.

Near to the new international school being built, I can hear the pile driving at this moment.

Might be the same might not?

Edited by sometime
Extra detail
  • Like 1

there is a google map location "Icon Siam shopping center" on the vacant property immediately south of the Ocean Marina boatyard.  Certainly looks big enough.  Something big also going in between VIP condo and Wat Yang U-turn.  Google earthview shows a low rise hotel nearing completion (The Mason), but there is a lot of vacant property and a bunch of earthmoving going on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thinkingman said:

there is a google map location "Icon Siam shopping center" on the vacant property immediately south of the Ocean Marina boatyard.  Certainly looks big enough.  Something big also going in between VIP condo and Wat Yang U-turn.  Google earthview shows a low rise hotel nearing completion (The Mason), but there is a lot of vacant property and a bunch of earthmoving going on.

The new Icon mall on the river in Bangkok is possibly the biggest and most beautiful mall in the country.

The group that built it has had "studies" for a couple of years at that spot in Jomtien.  If they build it, will be interesting to see what happens to the area and Jomtien in general.

• Thanks 1

The last time we ate at Kiss in Jomtien my Thai partner talked to one of the waitresses and she said that Kiss will have to move at some point as it is part of the land that was sold. We originally thought it was only the bars and possibly the market that would be torn down but it looks like everything in that area will be cleared, leaving a fairly large tract for some sort of shopping center or other development there.  Anybody heard what will be built there?  

• Like 1

I was out last night at The Avenue. The place is deserted and the upper floors have nearly no tenants. Terminal 21 looks terminally short of people, Harbour has half its space empty.

i cannot see how these places can sustain a profit with the low foot traffic and the rents must be pretty high.

Most of the locals would prefer to shop in the local markets where everything is substantially cheaper, if greatly smellier than the malls which do win over shoppers for some things I guess like top brands for the hi-so. 

Every day I go out there are more shops closed and up for rent and they stay empty for a long time too.

if Thailand is counting on Chinese tours to fill in where Westerners have left a gap then expensive malls might be mis-targeting future shopping habits.

But I hav3 no data - it’s just my observations and perhaps they are crushing it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

The last time we ate at Kiss in Jomtien my Thai partner talked to one of the waitresses and she said that Kiss will have to move at some point as it is part of the land that was sold. We originally thought it was only the bars and possibly the market that would be torn down but it looks like everything in that area will be cleared, leaving a fairly large tract for some sort of shopping center or other development there.  Anybody heard what will be built there?  

Could well be wrong, I was told that land area is owned by a church or temple.

Just a rumor it is going to be shopping Tesco or Big C.  Which would be a good location and do pretty well I believe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Just a rumor it is going to be shopping Tesco or Big C.  Which would be a good location and do pretty well I believe.

Yes, I've heard a rumor that Big C is going to build somewhere on Jomtien Second Road.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Just read in the British press that Tesco are expanding heavily in Thailand opening 750 new stores. So maybe that will be one of them. Surprised to read that Thailand is Tesco's biggest overseas market.

2 hours ago, timewilltell said:

I was out last night at The Avenue. The place is deserted and the upper floors have nearly no tenants. Terminal 21 looks terminally short of people, Harbour has half its space empty.

i cannot see how these places can sustain a profit with the low foot traffic and the rents must be pretty high.

Most of the locals would prefer to shop in the local markets where everything is substantially cheaper, if greatly smellier than the malls which do win over shoppers for some things I guess like top brands for the hi-so. 

Every day I go out there are more shops closed and up for rent and they stay empty for a long time too.

if Thailand is counting on Chinese tours to fill in where Westerners have left a gap then expensive malls might be mis-targeting future shopping habits.

But I hav3 no data - it’s just my observations and perhaps they are crushing it. 

T21 in the evening is very busy. Mainly Chinese of course.

5 hours ago, newnative said:

I heard a hospital

The trend is huge malls all over the world. Unfortunate for small business owners of course. Many town centres globally have been emptied , closed down shops everywhere. Parking problems  being one of the main problems. Of course, having a super air con to do your shopping / eat, have coffee, or a nice roof over your head when it’s cold or raining is great too. It’s called progress, and there should no going back .

1 hour ago, geisha said:

The trend is huge malls all over the world. Unfortunate for small business owners of course. Many town centres globally have been emptied , closed down shops everywhere. Parking problems  being one of the main problems. Of course, having a super air con to do your shopping / eat, have coffee, or a nice roof over your head when it’s cold or raining is great too. It’s called progress, and there should no going back .

The trend is online shopping..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geisha said:

Well unfortunately for the malls in Thailand the low rent markets are still BOOMING....Because they are way cheaper than the malls....

I think the ultimate goal of all this insane and over the top mall building is to squeeze out the cheap markets and to force people into the malls.....

Bangkok is well on its way to doing this with its incessant non stop mall building....How many more bloody malls could Bangkok possibly need??

Look for loads and loads and loads of new malls if they plan to be squeezing out a big chunk of the cheap markets in Thailand....  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 5:53 AM, ianezy0 said:

T21 in the evening is very busy. Mainly Chinese of course.

Wrong, it's mainly Thais in T21.  Believe it or not, but there are many Thai families in this country with good economy who can afford to buy brand names and want to eat in good restaurants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

Wrong, it's mainly Thais in T21.  Believe it or not, but there are many Thai families in this country with good economy who can afford to buy brand names and want to eat in good restaurants. 

Believe it or not I can actually separate Thai from Chinese. Plus I doubt if most of the Thai’s go home on a big bus! A lot of them pile into T21 after the ladyboy shows. Cheers

Edited by ianezy0
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, Henryford said:

Just read in the British press that Tesco are expanding heavily in Thailand opening 750 new stores. So maybe that will be one of them. Surprised to read that Thailand is Tesco's biggest overseas market.

Yes 750 small stores not major ones .

• 3 months later...

Has anyone figured out where this is yet?  CP Group definitely bought a huge chunk of land in South Pattaya somewhere and they are apparently planning to build a 480,000 sqm mall that ties in with the new high speed rail link they just won approval for.

Get ready for even more growth folks.

https://insideretail.asia/2019/07/05/charoen-pokphand-group-to-build-pattaya-mall/

Edited by shdmn

Has anyone figured out where this is yet?  CP Group definitely bought a huge chunk of land in South Pattaya somewhere and they are apparently planning to build a 480,000 sqm mall that ties in with the new high speed rail link they just won approval for.

Get ready for even more growth folks.

https://insideretail.asia/2019/07/05/charoen-pokphand-group-to-build-pattaya-mall/
Where exactly?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, newnative said:

Well, for me, I am at a shopping mall probably 2 or 3 times a week.  Sometimes I've hit 2 in one day depending on my activities.  Buying groceries, doing banking, paying internet, electric, and phone bills, mailing letters, getting a haircut, seeing a movie, having lunch or dinner at a restaurant, and sometimes actually shopping, too.  So, if a new shopping mall is going in, it's of interest to me and might make a difference as to where my next condo purchase might be--or where I might be doing my shopping in the future.     

Right now, several large tracts of land that have had old, low-rise resorts on them are being bulldozed near Cape Dara in Wong Amat.  Since my current condo is fairly near there I am curious as to what is being planned for all that land.  We'll see.  Pattaya is ever-changing; which, for me, makes it an interesting place to live.

An article in todays Bangkok Post Business section reports that Habitat Group are operating 2 condotel developments there. On their website they refer to the Wyndham brand. Condotels are apparently the current big thing for property developers in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya.

15 hours ago, champers said:

An article in todays Bangkok Post Business section reports that Habitat Group are operating 2 condotel developments there. On their website they refer to the Wyndham brand. Condotels are apparently the current big thing for property developers in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya.

Thanks.  One of the large, cleared plots of land I mentioned near Cape Dara is apparently going to be Centre Point 2 Hotel and Resort. (The first Centre Point being above Terminal 21.)  It looks like a quite large high-rise project from the photo on the construction fence.  The other cleared plot near there and another large plot of land that was just cleared in front of The Cove condo are perhaps the ones being developed by Habitat.