Haircuts

Getting your haicut , does anyone get stressed or is it only me ? If one in the chair might only be 20 minute wait. If one waiting and one in the chair I go away.

Only one I have seen not having a shave at the same time was a 10 yo , still took 10 mins after I arrived.  The worst time was las month , went in only one in the chai , hair had been cut , waiting for the shave . Just started , his phone rang , barber is trying to shave while this chap is yaking on his blasted phone , not 'Hang on Somchai I am busy getting a shave ' , no no. There we go , not just me surely and I only have half a head of hair , the other half just needs a polish now and then !

I was blowing 250 a month on a haircut and the last did a good job but then she would skip off on holiday way top often and expect me to get a cut from her assistant. So I don't touch many woman owned joints as they all like hidays too much. 100 baht I pay for Samsip % scissor cut. 

I don't mind waiting I enjoy just sitting their watching the tv before my cut.

• Sad 1

Be careful to make sure that the barber cleans all his equipment well, especially if he tries to shave you with his straight razor. A barber I went to just once starting shaving my forehead for some reason. I objected and told him to stop, but about a week later I started getting wart-like growths on my forehead and have not been able to get completely rid of them after three years now. I've gone to doctors and tired all kinds of medications including acid, but they are still not all gone. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I have fast growing hair, shame other parts of the body haven't weathered time as well! I just don't like having my haircut, no particular reason, there is just nothing to enjoy about the experience, wife refuses to try cut it!

There's no way I would let a Thai barber shave me! watched them - they don't have a clue, use the cheapest blades and lets not discuss hygiene!

Yup, I had the same hairdresser for the past 10 years, but prior to that it was a stressful affair. I pay 300B for a (gay) guy with an appointment system - I don't mind to pay a little more, the lazy b doesn't start until 11.00, but at least he saves his money and goes to a hairdressing school in London every couple of years.

I thought it was just me, most of my work mates just seem to pay 100B for an ear lowering, and you can see that they were overcharged.

I get our lass to phone up the barber, he says come in 15 or 20 mins, or whatever.

Get there and no matter how many are waiting I’m straight in the chair.

70 baht…and that’s with a 10 Baht tip….I go every 3 weeks.

The joys of living in God’s Country.

Q, What’s the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut.

A,  A fortnight.

Have a nice Day.

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 2:29 AM, RichardColeman said:

100 baht in the gay Thai barber along the street. Job done - just take the wife and baby with me for security

But it was 60 baht local a year ago, then 80 now 100. I was told they HAVE to put it up inline wilth all the others in the area of there will be 'fighting' Went yesterday and where ever I have tried the Thai in front seems to get better treatment and a longer hair cut, or am I paranoid?

Had my first haircut in Pua last week. Used Google Maps to find the shop but when I arrived I found two barber shops side by side. Went to the smaller one because there was no-one in there although the other shop looked larger and more old school. Met by a professional Thai gent and sat in a near open air chair. All of his equipment was new, clean and laid out neatly on the bench in front of him. Did a great job, asked for 60 baht, gave him 100. Will now be a quarterly stop for me. Didn't ask but if he does shaves then will add that to future experiences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only 60 baht up here but the condition of the "salon" leaves a lot to be desired.

Just changed barbers recently as the previous one was probably a closet gay (he has a female wife) the way he would lean against you. But he is now an evangelical Buddhist and tries to convert everyone.

• Like 1

Our local Mom and Pop shop has a barber, haircut and shave 60 Baht. Clippers and scissors sprayed with disinfectant before use, shave with a "straight" razor that actually takes regular blades, new blade for each customer.

My only complaint, ok two.

• If someone comes in the shop and his missus is busy he has to serve the customer.
  • I have learned never to go in behind a schoolboy unless I want a very short cut (I have also learned when he does the monks at the local wat).
  • Haha 1

I go to women barbers and normally get a wash, rinse and shoulder/scalp massage as well for 100 Baht. I don't really care what they do with my hair - I figure it will just grow back (eventually).

It is a great way to build up a rapport (or at least see if there is mutual chemistry) if you are into that sort of thing. 

I have a great, meticulous barber. He knows I don't want a shave, because he takes so long I can do it quicker. But if I have not shaved that day, he always starts shaving. I have a full beard; he must like the challenge. So I shave that morning, then no trouble! 100 B for the clipper cut.

But years ago my wife took me to a drunk barber and that was scary.

This attention to hair care hasn't been around for all that long; maybe a couple hundred years. A direct line could be drawn between the increase in hair care and Global Warming. YMMV ; bald is the wave of the future, may even save the environment for us all. ????   Heck, even most of the emoji's are bald, a good start.

I thought about getting clippers, the neighbour did to do her 2 sons hair. They always look like half shaven coconuts, not as easy as it looks apparently

I used to get my hair cut by a barber real close to my home but then he shut up shop so I bought some clippers and the gf does it.

Half shaven coconut ?, hmm now you mention it I can see the resemblance [emoji51]

16 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I do my back and sides myself.... The top is similar to a well used runway.

I know the feeling, my wife does a great job with a "razor" comb on the rest!