How much money do you spend in Thailand every day?

kellersphuket

How much do you spend in Thailand every day?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no "hard earned money". I earn my money without hard work, just playing with computers. ???? 

Please teach me how to earn money... I play with computers as well...but not make much (or nothing)... so what's the secret?

• Like 1

I only spend 10 months or so a year hear.  I kept track of spending in 2016; the average per month was 87000 baht. I live a slow life, decent enough condo (48 meters), drink moderately, and have a live in I treat well at about 2.5 * the minimum daily wage. I eat well enough, mostly Thai. I drink well, mostly Dewars White Label, and some Regency for the GF.  I'm guessing that I do Thailand retirement on about $100 per day: with decent accommodations, decent drink, decent company, and fairly decent wifi. English channels on True vision suck though.

It all could be done cheaper but fortunately I have $100 a day for retirement. Much more change in the exchange rate and I would have to start up a spreadsheet for other places. 29:1 is my breaking point.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think those spending 50k a day must be lousy at haggling with high class hookers

We dont need to haggle. And our hookers arent hookers, they are supermodels. Ta!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Did those people spending less than Baht 5,000 a day take into account accommodation, transportation, health costs, insurance, etc.?

I keep a record of my annual pension and investment income, as well as how much money I have in banks in Thailand and overseas - on my calculations I spend just under Baht 25,000 per day to live in Thailand.

Did you include accommodation etc... 

25,000 per day is approximately 750,000 per month, I split my time (10 days Singapore, 5 days BKK, 10 days SG, 5 days BKK etc...), I have yearly rents on newish 2 bed condos in both places within spitting distance to the MRT in SG & BTS in BKK, and including the expenses of flying in/out a couple of times a month spend about 1/3rd of that

Granted I have no debts/dependents, don't maintain a car (pointless in both places IMHO) & don't (directly) pay the GF but I do like a few bottles of wine per week & the odd mad night out and don't deny myself anything.

Edited by Mike Teavee

I dumped over THB 25 mil into the Thai economy in the less than 5 years we are living here....... comes to an average of 15,000 per day. I am pretty sure many of the farangs living here fool themselves by not including high ticket items to their cost of living. If I pay $100k for a car here, that back home costs $50k - the $50k difference is adding to my cost of living here over the cost of living back home.

For our family, 2 adults & 4 kids, I spend about 3,300 baht per day which takes in to account "everything" from schools fees, uniforms, books, etc, etc, food, petrol, car maintenance, clothes, health, life, house and car insurances, electricity, holidays both domestically (3 per annum) and  (1 overseas), the only thing it excludes is the kitchen sink.

If you want to take out the overseas holiday, then you could round it down to about 2,800 baht per day, and with the Oz $ down a minimum 20% of late, I think my funds will now last me 5 years less than my original calculations, but I won't be around then, suffice to say the family will just have to manage with the balance that remains, and two of the kids will more than likely be fending for themselves in about 3 years, one can only hope ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

thanks for the comments dude.

Yes it does fluctuate a lot throughout the month, quite similar in my case too.

I guess what I am getting at is this notion that Thailand is becoming more expensive as the years go by. There is evidence of this. Just outside my house in rawai is a noddle stand. 5 years ago 1 bowl of noodles cost 25 baht. Now its 50.

and it seems to be the case pretty much anywhere these days.

prices seem to be rocketing but I think with a little savvy you can still live on the cheap if that's your thing.

Have you tried using the noodle stand further along the road, is their price also Baht 50?

I ask because in my area of Bangkok things have become more expensive, however if I'm out cycling off the beaten track, or off on a motorbike trip and stop off for a food the prices are almost always much lower.

1 minute ago, AI5AASIA said:

Have you tried using the noodle stand further along the road, is their price also Baht 50?

I ask because in my area of Bangkok things have become more expensive, however if I'm out cycling off the beaten track, or off on a motorbike trip and stop off for a food the prices are almost always much lower.

honestly man i dont really count what I spend.

Like I said, most weekends I dont set myself a limit.

However Phuket in general has defintiely become more expensive over the last few years.

Pretty much everything has gone up, food, drink, rent etc.

I dont like to travel far when I need a quick fix for food so I pay the 50 baht.

24 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I dumped over THB 25 mil into the Thai economy in the less than 5 years we are living here....... comes to an average of 15,000 per day. I am pretty sure many of the farangs living here fool themselves by not including high ticket items to their cost of living. If I pay $100k for a car here, that back home costs $50k - the $50k difference is adding to my cost of living here over the cost of living back home.

I've clicked on 5-10k but not included any big ticket items like condo's or cars, motorbike. As it would depend on what period I want to divide cost over if say one year then that's a very large monthly spend... 

1 minute ago, kellersphuket said:

honestly man i dont really count what I spend.

Like I said, most weekends I dont set myself a limit.

However Phuket in general has defintiely become more expensive over the last few years.

Pretty much everything has gone up, food, drink, rent etc.

I dont like to travel far when I need a quick fix for food so I pay the 50 baht.

One thing I've noticed that has gone down in price is the cost of a new benz. I've one that I bought back in 2004 for just under 4m, but today it's just over 3m, fortunately for me when I was transferring the funds in Stg the fx rate was £1= Thb 70 but today it's about half that.

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Did you include accommodation etc... 

25,000 per day is approximately 750,000 per month, I split my time (10 days Singapore, 5 days BKK, 10 days SG, 5 days BKK etc...), I have yearly rents on newish 2 bed condos in both places within spitting distance to the MRT in SG & BTS in BKK, and including the expenses of flying in/out a couple of times a month spend about 1/3rd of that

Granted I have no debts/dependents, don't maintain a car (pointless in both places IMHO) & don't (directly) pay the GF but I do like a few bottles of wine per week & the odd mad night out and don't deny myself anything.

What you say is correct. 750,000 baht per month ( 9,000,000 per annum) is currently about 36,000 AUD per month ( 432,000 AUD per annum). I wouldn't spend 1100AUD per day in OZ. That's a lot of Chiko rolls and Merlot.

22 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

don't they all!

I used to give my ex wife an allowance of 50,000 per month.

of course she wasn;t happy with that so the year after I increased it to 100,000.

I thought she would be happy with just over 3,000 baht a day but it wasnt to be.

she left me and i've been single ever since!!!

When you're single, your pockets jingle OR no honey but lots of money.

Really depends but approximately 400k thb a year including everything except vehicle purchases and business investments

Some days spend nothing as I am an economist and know how to live for free - its very easy in thailand especially just buy in bulk and grow your own food super easy here really and never eat at restaurants much as the portions are too small and as my wife a far better cook plus I like high quality ingredients that are fresh with no pesticides and no cutting corners

The whisky is very cheap also and lasts a while as I only drink a little so thats how I do it

I know some people just chomp through their accounts but really if they learned a bit of how to use the system they could end up with a profit each day rather then an expense but leave that as it is 

Of course if you are going out mongering you will pay a fair price so that's that really...

If this is for a business research I think you should really look at asking how much do we spend on specific things as the question is just to broad to make any sense from for your business plan in my opinion 

On 9/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no "hard earned money". I earn my money without hard work, just playing with computers. ???? 

That's the way you do it. Don't work hard; work smart.

I earn money while I'm asleep. I wake up and look at the computer and say, "Goodness! I just made more money!"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I spent 60bht yesterday, 2 coffees at Nana bakery, haven't been out today 0bht.

Yesterday's spends...

• 83c (18 THB) Bus to work
  • s$5 (110 THB) Breakfast
  • s$8 (175 THB) Taxi to airport (Normally about 10c/22 THB on MRT but flying Thai Airways & couldn't be bothered with the hike from MRT to T1)
  • 400 THB Taxi - BKK-2-Condo
  • 700 THB Tower of beer (Met up with my mate, his gf & mine) 
  • 350 THB Food for me & gf

... < 2000

Add in 7000 for flight (Last minute hence flying Thai & not SQ) 500 for fast track at airport (have an annual deal that costs 20,000 & use it 40 times a year) and we're still at less than 10,000 for what is obviously not a "Normal" day.

Unless you have extraordinary expenses (e.g. Octets in Private School), how anybody spends more than 10k a day, every day (Not holiday) is beyond me...

I figure a great budget is around 3k a day "Scratch" money - I'd be more than happy with that 

Edited by Mike Teavee