Pattaya: Young woman dies after hitting stopped truck with no lights

webfact

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Rubbish.... the ten wheel truck is diesel powered, meaning he only needed a battery to start the engine, there-after all power comes from the alternator. He did  not need to stop because of a battery problem.

Charge the man with man-slaughter !

What powers the alternator?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ylmiri said:

The responsibility is entirely on the government. The government should make it mandatory for all big trucks and lorry to have lights (big ones) put up behind their vehicles that are parked on the side of roads or highways. These lights have battery or run on battery of the vehicle. Do they sell them in Thailand? Why are government not making it mandatory for truck companies to have them on their trucks.?

The Government say it is mandatory for motorcyclists to wear helmets, vehicles to stop at red lights or zebra crossings, not to tailgate or exceed the speed limit, to pass a test to get a licence, to have insurance for the vehicle, to have the vehicle tested for safety and environmental issues. etc etc.

The resposibility is entirely the DRIVER's.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Samuel Smith said:

Turning a belt?

yes... usually the cam-belt drives the alternator thus giving power to all electronics... 

The battery only initially gives power to the glow plugs to help the start & turn the starter motor!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

The Government say it is mandatory for motorcyclists to wear helmets, vehicles to stop at red lights or zebra crossings, not to tailgate or exceed the speed limit, to pass a test to get a licence, to have insurance for the vehicle, to have the vehicle tested for safety and environmental issues. etc etc.

The resposibility is entirely the DRIVER's.

And to look where you are going!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

yes... usually the cam-belt drives the alternator thus giving power to all electronics... 

The battery only initially gives power to the glow plugs to help the start & turn the starter motor!

So if the belt is faulty, the alternator doesn't turn, so the battery...

Edited by Samuel Smith

2 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

So if the belt is faulty, the alternator is faulty, so the battery...

In a diesel engine a battery is solely used to power the glow plugs and turn the starter motor.
Once the engine is running it fires by compression not electronic ignition of any kind. ( so saying he had to stop because of a battery fault is unlikely as his engine would continue running normally)

if the cam belt was slipping it would not charge the battery properly but an indicator light on the dashboard will tell the driver of low amps or similar.. but the engine would continue running so no need to stop, he could continue to his destination, even if the belt was slipping enough power would be generated to keep the lights working... 

Just to quote the post again... the driver said he had battery trouble... not alternator/belt trouble.

The truck driver shouldn't have been asleep, he should have been 50 Mtrs behind the truck (waving something....clothing, branch of a bush etc.) even if he had to stand there until daylight 05.45

How ever the young lady was riding her bike, it would have given her a chance to "continue her life"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, essox essox said:

This is a new one. If battery kaput just how could any lights function??

By having enough power for the low consumption lights to glow but not enough power o start the engine.  Having said that no one has stated that the truck's light were working, have they?  Did you see the title?

55 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Rubbish.... the ten wheel truck is diesel powered, meaning he only needed a battery to start the engine, there-after all power comes from the alternator. He did  not need to stop because of a battery problem.

Charge the man with man-slaughter !

You don't know if it was diesel powered or not. Many trucks run on gas. Many times it seems the majority I see on the highways do.

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

In a diesel engine a battery is solely used to power the glow plugs and turn the starter motor.
Once the engine is running it fires by compression not electronic ignition of any kind. ( so saying he had to stop because of a battery fault is unlikely as his engine would continue running normally)

if the cam belt was slipping it would not charge the battery properly but an indicator light on the dashboard will tell the driver of low amps or similar.. but the engine would continue running so no need to stop, he could continue to his destination, even if the belt was slipping enough power would be generated to keep the lights working... 

Just to quote the post again... the driver said he had battery trouble... not alternator/belt trouble.

This is just getting better and better - ever heard of a common rail diesel - electronically (computer) controlled fuel injectors. I guess you are still in the era of the grey Fergie diesel motor.

No matter the cause it is very sad that a young lady has unnecessarily lost her life. I can only imagine the pain her family feel. A good friend of mine lost her 12 year old son a few weeks back due to accidently drowning and I share her pain. parents should not outlive their kids under any circumstances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JWRC said:

Very sad. another young death. However, it isn't the truck drivers fault. There is plenty of room on the road, the truck has reflector strips, one bike got around it. Was alcohol involved? it was 3.30 am according to the report, or maybe excessive tiredness causing the girl to not concentrate.  We all know about bike riders here and I haven't come across any competent ones yet.

A fair chance they were "racing" each other a bit.  What may have been a little tom foolery and something many of us have done in our youth, sadly ended in death.

17 hours ago, sweatalot said:

battery trouble? Really  -  or another kind of "brake failure" ?

As part of the problem was having no parking lights, I believe he did some pretty quick thinking there!

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The (fan) belt.

Anyone among the great auto-electrical minds out there know the difference between an alternater and a generator.

Try this.

A generator produces electricity juat by turning it.

The alternator needs a voltage applied plus turning it to produce electricity. 

That's why, look at the rear of it, you will see, on a simple alternator, a little wire and a big wire. Little wire voltage in, big wire a lot more amps out.

If you don't have power to the little wire you can turn an alternator until you're blue in the face and it will produce nothing.

Commonly known as an exciter wire. ( diagram )

More modern alternators have 3 or 4 connections but same principle. No exciter power in, ( totally flat battery ) no power out.

ZGDsP.gif

Edited by overherebc
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Anyone among the great auto-electrical minds out there know the difference between an alternater and a generator.

Try this.

A generator produces electricity juat by turning it.

The alternator needs a voltage applied plus turning it to produce electricity. 

That's why, look at the rear of it, you will see, on a simple alternator, a little wire and a big wire. Little wire voltage in, big wire a lot more amps out.

If you don't have power to the little wire you can turn an alternator until you're blue in the face and it will produce nothing.

that little wire requirement faded away during the 70s... the exciter wire. I had a '79 mitsubishi, and the alternator caarked it.

The garage fella looked out the back for another, and came out with one of similar capacity.

It was from a 60s Chrysler, and had that exciter wire hanging out of it.

Said my later vehicle electricals didn't need that wire connected for the alternator to work!

- and he was correct

10 minutes ago, tifino said:

that little wire requirement faded away during the 70s... the exciter wire. I had a '79 mitsubishi, and the alternator caarked it.

The garage fella looked out the back for another, and came out with one of similar capacity.

It was from a 60s Chrysler, and had that exciter wire hanging out of it.

Said my later vehicle electricals didn't need that wire connected for the alternator to work!

- and he was correct

True but it's still part of the circuit internally. On my Hillman Hunter (70's) the connection came loose on the M1 at 3am on wet windy and cold night and I ended up with a totally flat battery, running lights, wipers and heater, parked up in a service station freezing waiting for the RAC for hours.

Edited by overherebc