SURVEY: Will the carnage continue?

Scott

SURVEY: Will the Carnage continue?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, rickb said:

Until and unless police start enforcing the laws, the carnage will continue.

But when the police do enforce some of those laws, the consensus from the TV "experts" is that the police should first catch all the murderers or  first expend all their efforts dealing with this or that which the posters feel is more important to them.

USA educated girlfriend think that it's ok in Thailand to drive after drinking ! What do you expect from these idiots ? They are too stupid and will never be smarter until they are forced to. Seize their cars on the spot and auction them the next day, this is the only solution !

By the way, I am one of the smart people who think that anybody should be allowed to do anything he wants and that doesn't injure others AT HOME. It means that you can take drug and get drunk as much as you want, but do not drive when high or drunk !

Edited by plfomylo

Sadly it will take a fully trained ( in another country ) Thai driving instructor with both sides of the brain joined up. A police force more interested in saving lives than lining their respective pockets and a government more interested in the people than purchasing war toys from the Chinese.

So to round it all up, There is no chance of getting a fully trained driving instructor, never mind one with a joined up brain.

Obtaining a police force that is even remotely interested in anything other than pocket lining.

And a government ??? Nuff said really.

My now Ex girlfriend always said she could ride her bike when she was <deleted> because quote “ I know myself “

And no amount of discussion would ever change her mind.

It appears that they see early death as acceptable and maybe this has a lot to do with the teachings and interpretation by uneducated monks of the words of lord Buddha just as we have been subjected to bad interpretation of Christianity and other denominations who have suffered in the same way.

So as the whole country is in daily belief of these interpretations the carnage can and will only get worse.

If foreign troops crossed the border and killed 550 citizens it would be war and a national call to respond. But this insane mentality of the drivers is tolerated - sh** just happens. No! It is cause by **seholes. Until the mentality or lack of is changed all the other efforts will be to no avail.

I suggest shaming bad drivers like they do with drug criminals in public would be a really scary thing for a Thai to endure. Loss of face is worse than losing a few thousand baht in a little fine and Waiing to the relatives of the deceased.  No more "brake fails, coughing fits or sandals under the brake pedals"  - face up to the responsibility of using the roads not the rights.

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

No. China is second.

USA, Russia, Brazil, all more than Thailand. 

Sources? Evidence? Context?

Maybe your information is sound but, without those criteria, how can anyone accept what you say?

You really should learn to provide context for claims you make in your posts, Yinn. Didn't you learn about the importance of evidence in a discussion while you were at university?

I know that, in my time at uni., any assertions made in a research piece would have been dismissed by my engineering lecturers and tutors without back-up evidence and sources. I'd have been sent away to repeat the project or, at worst, simply failed.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

No. China is second.

USA, Russia, Brazil, all more than Thailand. 

This thread is about anti thai hate rabble rousing.  You only have to see the racist replies to see that the survey is a screen for Thai bashing. The OP does not give a śhįt about Thai traffic victims ...if he did he could do voluntary work but he does nothing but stir hatred and signal his virtue and western superiority. He and all the other Thai haters should go home and address the problems of their own countries.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Maybe your information is sound but, without those criteria, how can anyone accept what you say?

You really should learn to provide context for claims you make in your posts, Yinn. Didn't you learn about the importance of evidence in a discussion while you were at university?

I know that, in my time at uni., any assertions made in a research piece would have been dismissed by my engineering lecturers and tutors without back-up evidence and sources. I'd have been sent away to repeat the project or, at worst, simply failed.

This forum is not your university and this is not a research piece and this poll is just trash designed to elicit unreasoned anti Thai hate from the usual bitter TVF thai haters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

This forum is not your university and this is not a research piece ...

For a supposedly university-educated woman, Yinn's apparent understanding of evidence, corroboration, statistics etc. and their use in discussion is dismal.

Just trying to encourage her to improve her quality of factual debate. Many of her arguments are very good but, so often, evidence trips her up.  

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

I put before. Can see from google, wiki. 

But everyone angry me so much. I give up. 

Not want to know, only want to complain about thailand.

About 300,000 year in India and China. 

They can google themself. I happy help TVF with thing hard for caucasion to find, no problem.

Thai news only Thai language, information only Thai language etc. Thai music, movie 

But for this easy one, they can do themself.

I did before. On another thred. Yesterday I doing other thing with friends. Busy.

31 minutes ago, MartinL said:

For a supposedly university-educated woman, Yinn's apparent understanding of evidence, corroboration, statistics etc. and their use in discussion is dismal.

Just trying to encourage her to improve her quality of factual debate. Many of her arguments are very good but, so often, evidence trips her up.  

Ok , I just read this. 

I think you ask real question. But just want to criticize and mock me.

Try google. It all there.

As population increases, the number of cars being driven increases, so the number of accidents increase.

Automobile industry has added up to 8 airbags in some models to protect people inside, that may be the reason some countries have seen a smaller increase in vehicle fatalities.  

It is akin to asking if deaths from heart disease or cancer will continue to increase. 

Yes they will. 

"Self driving" cars and trucks should lesson the death toll if and when they are used by the majority.  Huge increase in taxes on personal vehicles will encourage use of public transportation.  Believe in Japan, cost of parking discourages car ownership.  There are ways to decrease car ownership, but Big oil and the Auto industry will always fight against them IMO

Edited by Skallywag

Post removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

59 minutes ago, MartinL said:

The right-hand column of the spreadsheet shows that, for every one person per 100,000 population killed on the roads in:-

China - 1.8 people die in Thailand,

USA - 2.7 people die in Thailand,

India - 2.8 people die in Thailand,

UK - 10.8 people die in Thailand (populations are almost identical, BTW)

Oh dear!! Now Yinn has the chance to get back at me for 'mocking' her!! Go on, girl - I won't get upset. ???? ???? 

I should have written as highlighted above.

Edited by MartinL
  • Thanks 1

I think the only factor that will increase injuries & fatalities on the road is the number of new registrations for cars & motorbikes each year. The more traffic, the more congestion, the more accidents leading to a higher road toll of injuries & death. Thai's have a "love affair" with cars & motorbikes ...... this, mixed with their "care free" attitude, contempt for the law & police, the chaotic road system & signs etc etc, plus overloaded vehicles & "passenger pickups" with 20+ students in the back unprotected, the carnage will only continue unabated ........... fact.

Driving during the day is hazardous enough, but night time scares the "<deleted> out of me". No lights especially is my biggest fear ........... so many idiots drive without lights. It's the mentality which will never change ......... Thai's do not maintain anything properly, especially their own property.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

Ok , I just read this. 

I think you ask real question. But just want to criticize and mock me.

Try google. It all there.

Yinn, Google is a source of information. The information is meaningless unless it is processed correctly.

I am not trying to mock you. I am trying to get you to THINK.

There are a lot of things I like about Thailand. That's why I am here. Unfortunately, it is unlikely Thailand's road safety will be one of them during my lifetime.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sirineou said:

as far as the minimum speed limit ,I did say "most" I did not say all i said Most..

about bicycles I don't know any highway that allowed it, but I have not being everywhere. All that I know do not. 

Nonetheless to the extent that they restrict They are much safer than in Thailand where most have no restrictions of limited use..

Just an observation and not the only reason for increased accident rate in Thailand. 

23 hours ago, sirineou said:

as far as the minimum speed limit ,I did say "most" I did not say all i said Most..

about bicycles I don't know any highway that allowed it, but I have not being everywhere. All that I know do not. 

Nonetheless to the extent that they restrict They are much safer than in Thailand where most have no restrictions of limited use..

Just an observation and not the only reason for increased accident rate in Thailand. 

Regular highways like US 29 or US 17 that run down the east are not limited access they will run down the middle of a town or city and have red lights these were the highway systems before they built the interstate system

23 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Regular highways like US 29 or US 17 that run down the east are not limited access they will run down the middle of a town or city and have red lights these were the highway systems before they built the interstate system

I believe these are routes not highways I said Highways. which is what most people use to get to their destination on long trips then transfer to local routes

RT17 in NJ is not a limited use road with shopping on either side, but a divider in the middle to prevent U-turns and people crossing, but with people still going to or coming in from stores, or looking for their store while driving, I can tell you, there is an accident there every day.  

Up here in the northeast/country side law enforcement is virtually non existent.

How could it become better?

Without a working police/regulatory authority nothing will improve.

The problems are so manyfold, it's overwhelming.

Decades of civil development missing. Will take longer than my remaining time-span for sure.

For a Start, Put concrete dividers through all curves and lane change locations.

This will keep those lane wigglers from crossing lines at blind spots.

Next put the concrete dividers at all no passing zones.

Last but not least, Provide Real Motorcycle Lanes, along all roads, with guard rails to

keep both 2 wheel and 4 wheel apart.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

For a Start, Put concrete dividers through all curves and lane change locations.

This will keep those lane wigglers from crossing lines at blind spots.

Next put the concrete dividers at all no passing zones.

Last but not least, Provide Real Motorcycle Lanes, along all roads, with guard rails to

keep both 2 wheel and 4 wheel apart.

Good ideas; however, expensive to implement.

My take on reducing road deaths in Thailand is aimed at the 80% which are on two wheels.

1/ Riding without a helmet of acceptable standard - first offense 1000 baht fine. No license 1000 baht fine.

2/ Second offense - bike impounded for a month.

3/ Third offense - bike is confiscated.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Good ideas; however, expensive to implement.

My take on reducing road deaths in Thailand is aimed at the 80% which are on two wheels.

1/ Riding without a helmet of acceptable standard - first offense 1000 baht fine. No license 1000 baht fine.

2/ Second offense - bike impounded for a month.

3/ Third offense - bike is confiscated.

I believe the "actual" fine for no helmet is/was a 1000bht, but like most new laws they are not implemented.