Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

My Mrs never accepts she has to stop when somebody is on a crossing, her excuse is the car behind might run into us. Most dangerous place to cross because some will stop and others don't. even on red light crossings. At least Thais usually shout at drivers now who just plough on ignoring the lights

So why is he sitting there, he doesn't appear to be hurt.

Couldn't he just get the drivers details and report her to the authorities for hitting an endangered species on a pedestrian crossing.

Land Traffic Act - B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 104 (200B)
Pedestrian shall not cross a way within not more distance than 100 meters from a pedestrian crossing except in the pedestrian crossing.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

2 things completely perplex me:

a) the way Thais think, their own braindeadness is hilariously funny!

b) the way, some expats think everything in Thailand is so great, it doesn't even need critical thinking to happen!

Maybe...just maybe...not every white dude is an expat, living in Thailand for 20 years and then suddenly snaps at a zebra- crossing!

What about tourists, who fail to google "how batsh*t crazy are Thai- drivers", before they come on a holiday to Thailand for the first (and most likely last...) time!

Very fair comment. Having said that though, when i got to Bangkok for the first time and saw with my own eyes the driving habits, it took me a very short time to work out that I need to take extra special care crossing the road. that's more common sense than googling for info on "bat<deleted> crazy Thai drivers".

Also, the man is just really making a holy show of himself. childlike really.

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I see no shame in his behaviour. Surely the shame should be on those who behaviour results in the law being broken? 

But there are laws and regulations how to handle such things. Sitting in the middle of the road and blocking the traffic is for sure not one of them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

It´s simply a place where people are advised to cross the road. You ever seen a jaywalking sign?

53 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Forgive him, He not know about Thai style Zebra crossing....

He could have been forgiven, if he had been taking the explaination and advice. Hell, the Thai female drvier even wai to him. As he act showing his extreme mentality, he can not be forgiven. His face should up on posters in shame.

48 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Same as all other road markings and signs in Thailand. To be ignored. 

No, they are not. Most drivers does not ignore them. Some, even many, do and thats the ones we see and recognize. After that it´s easy to judge a total population based on that, which is totally unfair.

46 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

They are by law not required to do anything. Pedestrians are the ones that should use the crossings. That because it´s safer as many of them also have traffic lights, as well as they will not risk beeing fined for jay walking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

According to international agreements on the Traffic Code, pedestrian crossings must be paint in the street. The problem is that the majority of people does not respect the use of pedestrian crossings and the police do not sanction misconduct. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zhounan said:

According to international agreements on the Traffic Code, pedestrian crossings must be paint in the street. The problem is that the majority of people does not respect the use of pedestrian crossings and the police do not sanction misconduct. 

Yep, in fact mine was a rhetorical question.

1 minute ago, DLock said:

When you start making fun of a tourist who may have been experiencing his first pedestrian crossing in Thailand instead of the ridiculous laws and stupid Thai drivers...you know you have been here too long and you have been assimilated into the ranks of the dumb.

Congratulations.

Oh, come on, it's just a bit of healthy cynicism.

Btw, the guy was not hurt, and his protesting with a sit-in is rather funny.

Wonder if he's still sitting there.

• Like 1