34 days Thailand.No visa.

Hi, friends of mine have booked a holiday in Koh Pang Gan  , arriving Thailand the 11 th January, leaving the 13 th February.  They’ve  only just realised that they’re over 30 days visa exempt by 4 days ! ( yes , I know). 

It’s too late to do a visa online and pick up from Paris. They are in CANNES, and cannot get a day off even if it was certain. 
Will 4 days mean a nasty reception at Suvarnabhumi when they leave ? I know a day or 2 is tolerated .

or should they go to Koh Samui for a day and do an extension there at immigration, seeing that there is no IO on Koh Pang Gan ???? Can they do it a week/10 days before the 30 day limit ?
They are a French couple , 54 yrs, and first visit to Thailand. 
Will it be a problem not having a visa at check in Nice, can they say they’re doing an extension if asked ?
Thanks for your help with this first time mistake !

happy new year all.

As said, the biggest problem is being refused entry to the flight in France.

If they make it to Thailand getting a 30 day extension on Samui would be best bet,

Overstay fine would be 2,000 Baht each or all sorts of problems if they are actually caught on overstay.

• Like 2

Yes, thanks all. I’ve given them a few cheap choices for a one way out. Of course it’s silly not to have realised, they saw no visa needed and didn’t look further. It’s their 1 st visit to Thailand. Of course they have return tickets to France. It’s just that Swiss air won’t change their dates and I don’t want them to be confronted by a nasty IO on their return , don’t say it doesn’t happen, it does. I’ve explained the extension procedures so they’ll have to go to Samui to do that. I’m hoping as genuine tourists they won’t be asked for a Notification of address slip ? They’ll be in a hotel on Koh Phan Gan. Quite a fuss for 4 days overstay. 

Not compared to the fuss if they tried the same thing in Australia I can assure you. If you get caught even with one hour over the permitted time to stay, you are in a lot of trouble. Detention, deportation and a three year ban on returning. Of course if you are leaving the country it's no big deal but if you are doing an in and out on a multi entry visa it can really mess up your day 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, geisha said:

I’m hoping as genuine tourists they won’t be asked for a Notification of address slip ? They’ll be in a hotel on Koh Phan Gan.

A proper licensed/working hotel is obliged to register them at immigration (online).

So a business card should suffice.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, first of all, I agree with KhunBenQ post #10.

Only to demonstrate many various ways to cover friends situation. They could cut their holiday short (34 days on koh Pha ngan is lot). Before 30 days fly to somewhere like HCMC. French are 15day visa exempt. Airport close to popular tourist area district 1. 

I go for weekends and cheap flights.

When they return for flight back to France from bkk they will be given another 30 day visa exempt.

Sounds crazy but I would do it over extra time in koh Phangan. Or do extension on Sumui and stay there for last few days.

You need do extension before their until date expires, can be day or 2 before.

• Like 1

If from visa exempt country then get 40 days and can extend at immigration for another 30 days. 

I thought everyone can just arrive  and get 30 days and then extend at immigration for another 30 days without Visa? 2 months without Visa and extending once with flight booked to leave Thailand within 60 days. Why need a visa if staying less than 60 days with return flight booked?

2 minutes ago, twix38 said:

If from visa exempt country then get 40 days and can extend at immigration for another 30 days. 

I thought everyone can just arrive  and get 30 days and then extend at immigration for another 30 days without Visa? 2 months without Visa and extending once with flight booked to leave Thailand within 60 days. Why need a visa if staying less than 60 days with return flight booked?

Because there is a ministerial order which says to be eligable for a visa exempt stamp at an airport the person needs to have a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days (which they don't have, their flight is after 34 days)

This wouldn't actually be a problem when arriving in Thailand, because IOs usually don't care about this. But this rule is also in the system which the airlines use to check if they should let a passenger check in, so it can happen that the airline won't let the person check in because the system tells them so.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But this rule is also in the system which the airlines use to check if they should let a passenger check in, so it can happen that the airline won't let the person check in because the system tells them so.

airline airline airline

Can't be repeated often enough.

Either the airline has a strict policy or you are an easy victim in case of overbooked flight.

Oh ok. That seems unnecessary imv but it's the rule.

So if I wanted to visit Thailand for between 31 and 60 days I must buy a flight ticket out of thailand by 30 days for the airline which is checking the Thai immigration compliance and mainly  for the Thai rule that 30 day exemption eligibility requires an outwood flight booked by 30 day period. 

Hence to stay longer than 30 days whilst intending to leave prior to 60 days is impossible without a completely unnecessary flight out by 30 days even if the departure date with a booked flight home is within 60 days. This is bs and should be completely unnecessary if the return flight  ticket home date is 60 days after arrival date or less surely?

Just bloody minded or is there some justifiable reason that 60 days with no visa can't be allowed when a return flight out of Thailand is booked and shown to be within 60 days of arrival?

What the rule should be and could be is " to be eligable for a visa exempt stamp at an airport the person needs to have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days" very sensible and easy to do and I don't know why it's not amended when simply no need to have to buy a pointless flight after 30 days ?

Edited by twix38
Correction
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, twix38 said:

So if I wanted to visit Thailand for between 31 and 60 days I must buy a flight ticket out of thailand by 30 days for the airline which is checking the Thai immigration compliance and mainly  for the Thai rule that 30 day exemption eligibility requires an outwood flight booked by 30 day period. 

Or get a Tourist Visa. Changing flight bookings can be expensive and only for those in love.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

airline airline airline

Can't be repeated often enough.

Either the airline has a strict policy or you are an easy victim in case of overbooked flight.

No. The airline will check onward flight. 

I'm in/out Thailand every couple of weeks. The airline looks for visa or reentry permit. If no have they ask for onward flight. Should be within 30 days. If have no onward flight then no boarding pass.

If have onward flight past the 30 days and explain that you intend to apply for extension the airline MAY except that. 

Even recently (3 months ago) I was X Melbourne to Saigon for short stay on route to home in bkk. The airline noticed my visa to Vietnam only had 5 days left.

I was made to produce my flight X Saigon to Bkk. (Yes she was out of line)

IO at Saigon also noticed. He asked length of stay. I said 3 days, no issue.

My point is simply that I see no reason the rules should not be.....

" to be eligable for a visa exempt stamp at an airport the person needs to have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days".

Instead if we want to stay between 31 and 60 days which is allowed with 1 extension at immigration we must also book and pay for a flight out of Thailand within 30 days. Totally unnecessary and inconvenient!! 

Edited by twix38
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, twix38 said:

" to be eligable for a visa exempt stamp at an airport the person needs to have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days".

Say what! Fact is not many countries in the region provide visa exempt entries. Yes Vietnam for some countries. Notable exceptions USA, AU, Canada NZ, to name  a few need visa for Vietnam and you complain about airline attitude to onward flight to los if flying VE.

What next. Count yourself lucky and get a tourist visa if it's an issue. Whoops that also requires onward ticket at most consulates.

Edited by DrJack54

15 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Instead if we want to stay between 31 and 60 days which is allowed with 1 extension at immigration we must also book and pay for a flight out of Thailand within 30 days. Totally unnecessary and inconvenient!! 

life isn't what you want, its what you get

19 hours ago, geisha said:

Will 4 days mean a nasty reception at Suvarnabhumi when they leave ?

Geisha,

They could go out of the country for one day and then return.  I would book a one way return within the 30 days on the day I was traveling to Thailand.  Make sure it is one that you have 24 hours to cancel with no penalty.  Or you could just book a cheap one way to someplace like Vietnam and throw it away.  I would not want to take the chance the the IO would not let me enter because I did not show a return ticket within 30 days.  I would then cancel the ticket if I could and apply for the extension. 

Well at least get it right! I am not complaining about airline attitude. They just ensure the existing rules will not make a problem when their passenger arrives at BKK airport. I am complaining, or first checking I have it right and no other explanations, and then complaining about Thai immigration rules that with no good basis requires those staying 31 to 60 days to buy a flight out before 30 days. 

As i see it this should simply not be needed on stays of up to 60 days as under existing rules with a 30 day extension its fine and yes I do object to buying an unnecessary flight when all it really needs is to change  the rule to have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days. To do this would not cause Thai immigration ANY problem yet would assist visitors in not having to buy a completely irrelevant flight out prior to 30 days. It's just a stupid 30 day rule that would be win-win at 60  days.

I don't really care what other local countries do or don't do or count myself lucky that without a good reason this is the rule. I deal in logic and prefer assistance to pointless and unnecessary inconvenience and barriers.

As nobody can give me a good reason that it couldn't be 60 days instead of 30 then I will assume it's another example of awkward immigration rules that just hinder and alienate or someone tell me why not?

Edited by twix38
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Geisha,

They could go out of the country for one day and then return.  I would book a one way return within the 30 days on the day I was traveling to Thailand.  Make sure it is one that you have 24 hours to cancel with no penalty.  Or you could just book a cheap one way to someplace like Vietnam and throw it away.  I would not want to take the chance the the IO would not let me enter because I did not show a return ticket within 30 days.  I would then cancel the ticket if I could and apply for the extension. 

All that info already provided. 

But to add to your suggestions. Expensive tickets that include free cancellation often take quite some time for refund. Throw away ticket already mentioned. ~ 1200baht.

They can also purchase "rent a flight" from net. ~ 12usd.

They already have their tickets from booked and paid for. 

Your concern about passport control in Thailand is not the issue. Especially as its first time to Thailand. The issue is obtaining boarding pass and then avoiding overstay. 

2 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Well at least get it right! I am not complaining about airline attitude. They just ensure the existing rules will not make a problem when their passenger arrives at BKK airport. I am complaining or first checking I have it right and no other explanations and then complaining about Thai immigration rules that with no good basis requires those staying 31 to 60 days to buy a flight out before 30 days. 

As i see it this is simply not needed on stays of up to 60 days under existing rules and yes I do object to buying an unnecessary flight when all it really needs is to change it to have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days. To do this would not cause Thai immigration ANY problem yet would assist visitors. 

I don't really care what other local countries do or don't do or count myself lucky that without a good reason this is the rule. I deal in logic and prefer assistance to pointless and unnecessary inconvenience and barriers.

As nobody can give me a good reason that it couldn't be 60 days instead of 30 then I will assume it's another example of awkward immigration rules that just hinder and alienate or someone tell me why not?

I will waste time and give you one reason.

If airline is flexible and issues boarding pass and then upon arrival Thai passport control reject entry then it's airline responsibility to fly you back to where you embarked. True almost always at cost to person rejected. 

What do you mean by awkward imm rules.

I along with my Thai gf travel Japan twice a year. Every time the airline counts out her entry date and flight out. (Thai have 15 day visa exempt Japan). If out by ONE day. No get on plane! 

Reading all the difficulties around buying this prior to 30 day flight to qualify for visa exempt makes me wonder why there are so many people that accept the principle and defend it. There is no downside to making it 60 days instead as continuing to extend for the 30+30. 

Only impediment is Thai immigration not allowing it and resulting inconvenience and cost of an unnecessary flight prior to 30 days. I don't thank immigration st all for that. Quiete the opposite. When I understand the logic of rules I accept them otherwise I find it more like an unfair arbitrary penalty.

Drjack54,

You seem not to be understanding.

I agree and have no problem with the airlines. It is Thai immigration I blame for a completely unnecessary 30 days whereas instead of it could be 60 days, like below and not 30.

" to be eligable for a visa exempt stamp at an airport the person needs to have a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days".

It would then not require airlines to check the 30 day issue as it would not exist and neither would having to get a flight out prior to 30 days. It should be Thai immigration that amends the rule to 60 days as I have said repeatedly. It's no skin off their nose and would be a million miles better and I'm not saying the journey is a million miles either lol

Edited by twix38

You are stupid if you want to risk an over stay.

Although you as well many other with you think it has no implication it sure does can have later somewhere at another border crossing somewhere in the future.

This is recorded and also seen other countries especially when you have a stamp or when the officer start to look in hte underlaying custom system.

You have booked a flight and know that you have to stay longer then failed for the 30 daysstay to have to arrange the correct visa.

This can fireback on you hard as i have seen with a collegaue i had. 

• Haha 1