How do they transfer visas to new passport?

I am getting married next month and plan to get a multiple entry non-o visa from Savannakhet. 

My passport is almost full from tourist visas, and will need a new passport soon. 

Would it be better to get my passport renewed before I get my marriage visa? I know this would leave a 'left using tourist visa' stamp on the first page of my new passport, but maybe better than carrying a passport full of tourist visas? 

Edited by maskedman2

Easy as can be. 

1. Get a letter from your home country embassy, the UK embassy hand out signed copies for you to fill in.

2. Copy every page of your old passport.

3. Take new passport and old passport to Thai Immigration

4. I  can't remember if any Thai forms are required but they will do the rest for you.

5. Of course you have to pay the fee and never dispose of your old passports.

The attached tells you the UK process, you did not state which nationality you are. Also attached is the UK letter

Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf Visa Transfer Form.pdf

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, DoneTravelling said:

Visas are transferred I have done it 4 times as I go through passports quickly

2 useless posts back to back. Wanna try for 3.

The details of visas are transferred. Visas cannot be transferred. As for UK stuff, what's that about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Last September, I got a new passport. Took it to Immigration with the old passport, filled out forms.

Immigration then put stamps in the new passport, starting with my original TR in 2014, non-O same year, non-RE in 2019. Extension of stay and re-entry permit also stamped in.

I was quite pleased with the end result, as the IO's handwritten notations are a damn sight more legible than what was in the old passport.

If an immigration official filled up by new passport with three full page visa stickers, in addition to the necessary current permission to stay stamp and annotations, I would not be happy. I would welcome the transfer of the re-entry permit, which is not too big, as that will avoid my needing to travel with my old passport.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

If an immigration official filled up by new passport with three full page visa stickers, in addition to the necessary current permission to stay stamp and annotations, I would not be happy.

For me it was two full pages:

one page with four stamps: stamp referring to foundation visa (non-b from 2014), stamp documenting last entry on that visa, stamp referring to most recent entry, officers date/time stamp

second page:  re-stamp of my current extension, officers date/time stamp.

Reentry permit not referenced, told to carry old passport for reentry.

Now page 3 has both my newest extension and new reentry permit.

At stamp transfer a stamp was added to my old passport referencing my new passport.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

If an immigration official filled up by new passport with three full page visa stickers, in addition to the necessary current permission to stay stamp and annotations, I would not be happy. I would welcome the transfer of the re-entry permit, which is not too big, as that will avoid my needing to travel with my old passport.

It was three pages; however, I have 31 useable pages left. Life's too short for me to be concerned about stuff like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I expect you're one of those who thinks every stamp in your passport is a visa.

I'd think most people actually do think that and would regard the arcana of visas, permissions to stay, extensions etc. as mere nit-picking

52 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'd think most people actually do think that and would regard the arcana of visas, permissions to stay, extensions etc. as mere nit-picking

So when someone quits work or ends his marriage, it doesn't matter if he is in the country on a visa entry or an extension of stay ?? Both, according to some, are visas even though in one case he would immediately be on overstay if he remained in the country.

If someone thinks he's been renewing his O-A visa for many years, he can leave the country and return without a re-entry permit , because he thinks he has a non-Imm O-A visa and surpringly only gets a 30 day visa exempt entry when he returns.

Someone has no visa but is allowed to enter visa exempt actually has a visa stamp in his passport indicating he has no visa.

And those who think their permission to stay expiration  is based on the expiration date printed on their visa have nothing to worry about?

Those who think it's just nitpicking are apparently ignorant of the consequences that may follow from the misunderstanding.

What some people consider arcana may be simple, basic facts to others. How difficult can it be to understand, especially for the many farang who consider themselves superior in terms of logic as well as basic intelligence?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Timeline below and lessoned learned going through the move visa to new (US) passport activities:

July 19, 2019 - did a new retirement extension on my Non-O Visa in my old passport

April 2020 - old passport was going to expire (only got retirement extension above to April 2020)

Oct 21, 2019 - US Embassy received my new passport application along with my old passport, photos, cashier's checks (2 of them as I also decided to get a passport card - not sure if I will ever use the passport card, but figured might as well get one)...

Oct 31, 2019 - received my new passport (and old passport CANX'd) in the mail - WOW - so freakN FAST!!  A few days later received my passport card...

Nov 4, 2019 - Chonburi Immigration - visa transfer to new passport... also registered the new passport at the Land Transport Office (got new drivers licenses with new passport info on it), and at my bank branch... 

Dec 2019 - vacation to Singapore - on return, Thai immigration officer/gal asked if I had my old passport as she couldn't seem to find the visa in the new passport... fortunately (VERY LUCKILY) I had the old passport with me in a backpack that I was carrying (my Thai girlfriend, her sister and my daughter had gone through the line for Thai passports and they could easily have been carrying that backpack) and I showed it to the immigration officer... after closer inspection, she determined the new passport was Good2Go visa-wise, stamped me, and I was on my way...

moral of the story - recommend on first international trip using new passport, take old CANX'd one with you, just in case... I have a trip to the States coming up in the not so distant future and I will probably bring both my old (CANX'd) and new US passports, just in case...also on first trip using the new passport, don't forget to pull the TM6 departure card from the old passport/might be stapled into the old one... 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DoneTravelling said:

Visas are transferred I have done it 4 times as I go through passports quickly

Which immigration office do you belong to?

They normally transfer the last entry stamp and last extension. Plus a note of what kind of visa the extension is based on. 

1 hour ago, DoneTravelling said:

I have transferred mine 4 times at Hua Hin Immigration.

If people would bother to read the UK Letter I posted it cleary states for transferring of Thai Visa.

Anyway it is all up to the OP, if in doubt go to Thai Immigration and discuss.

Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf 102.05 kB · 3 downloads

It doesn't matter what the letter says. Whats matter is how it works at immigration offices. Transferring stamps is not same as transferring a visa. 

The passport expires however the visa inside the expired passport remains valid, and yes you need to have the new passport in hand also. Does confuse some folk ie bank tellers, one of which suggested i cut my expired passport up????, but works fine generally for me sir. The 5 Yr validity passports were a <deleted> bad idea.

1 hour ago, koratkarlos said:

I have a 10 year Chinese Business Visa.  Can this be transferred to a new USA passport?  Thanks.

You would have the Chinese embassy about that. Every country has their own policies for transfers of visas. Most do not do it which requires you to use both passports.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DoneTravelling said:

I have transferred mine 4 times at Hua Hin Immigration.

If people would bother to read the UK Letter I posted it cleary states for transferring of Thai Visa.

Anyway it is all up to the OP, if in doubt go to Thai Immigration and discuss.

Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf 102.05 kB · 5 downloads

I am sorry to tell you that Visas cannot be transferred. Despite the British Embassy incorrectly calling everything Visas, as do Thai Immigration, as do most Visa agents, and many TV posters, not everything is. It isn't a problem most of the time, but when it gets down to the minutiae of responding to inquiries and questions, the differences between Visas, Visa types, Extensions, Permissions of Stay , Re-Entry permits, Waivers and Exempts becomes important. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, domomc said:

The passport expires however the visa inside the expired passport remains valid, and yes you need to have the new passport in hand also. Does confuse some folk ie bank tellers, one of which suggested i cut my expired passport up????, but works fine generally for me sir. The 5 Yr validity passports were a <deleted> bad idea.

Many countries have had 5 year validity passports for many many years and that will not change in the future. 

22 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

A thai visa is either a large sticker or a large stamp covering one page in the passport.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

A thai visa is either a large sticker or a large stamp covering one page in the passport.

True but the full page rubber stamps are becoming rare. Too easy to make a really good copy nowadays. I reckon the last one I saw was early 2000's from Cardiff. No doubt some places may still use them.

Edited by overherebc

38 minutes ago, overherebc said:

True but the full page rubber stamps are becoming rare. Too easy to make a really good copy nowadays. I reckon the last one I saw was early 2000's from Cardiff. No doubt some places may still use them.

Immigration offices in Thailand still uses them for the 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa obtained here. 

• Like 1