Beauty salon owner fights for rights after leg broken by playful dog

webfact

Beauty salon owner fights for rights after leg broken by playful dog

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1578454182_1-org.jpg

Kumaree Kao-ian suffered a broken leg after a dog playing ran into her and knocked her down. Image: Supplied

PHUKET: A beauty salon owner whose leg was broken when she was knocked over by a neighbour’s dog is fighting to have the dog’s owner pay compensation as she is now left with no money to live on.

Police say they don’t even know what to charge the dog owner with, Kumaree Kao-ian, the 39-year-old beauty salon owner, told the press while filing a complaint at the Provincial Ombudsman’s Office yesterday (Jan 7).

Ms Kumaree explained that her leg was broken on Jan 3, at about 9:30am, while she was walking with her two children through the car park in front of the building where she lives at the National Housing Authority estate in Moo 1, Srisoonthorn, Thalang.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/beauty-salon-owner-fights-for-rights-after-leg-broken-by-running-dog-74296.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-08
  • Haha 1

I am guessing she is seeking compensation into thousands, yet a business owner who has 80 baht because has not worked for few days. 

so if she does not get any customers , how does she pay her bills? But if she is that busy, where is all the money ?

husband had to take time off work? Why? She is not paralysed, can still walk with crutches and can have holiday leave , paid holiday leave .

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Police say they don’t even know what to charge the dog owner with...

This is not a criminal matter; it is a civil issue. The woman should file a civil lawsuit against the dog owner. Whether she wins the case is another matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestB said:

I am guessing she is seeking compensation into thousands, yet a business owner who has 80 baht because has not worked for few days. 

so if she does not get any customers , how does she pay her bills? But if she is that busy, where is all the money ?

husband had to take time off work? Why? She is not paralysed, can still walk with crutches and can have holiday leave , paid holiday leave .

It wasn´t her fault. Why should she pay the hospital bill? If this would happen in the US she would get a lot of money for compensation - if the dog owner is famous, millions. In Germany an insurance would pay which you must have as a dog owner..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

This is not a criminal matter; it is a civil issue. The woman should file a civil lawsuit against the dog owner. Whether she wins the case is another matter.

In Thailand EVERYTHING is first a police thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johng said:

and

So the so called dog owner ( Lover )   shouldn't be keeping pets in the 30 square meter apartment or allow them to roam around the estate causing chaos , mayhem and pooping everywhere,  but when their "pet" causes injury they threaten to sue the injured person !!  and the police are impotent....  yep you can't make this *hit up  :crazy:  total madness

yep.   Leash law on the books?  Not relevant since Thais ignore laws.

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

In a Western civilised country she would have grounds for a civil action, but..............

And by the way, it is easy to get up-ended by a small pet - the cat that has adopted me is constantly trying to trip me up to remind me that she needs food.

It just seems an unfortunate random accident, with no one to blame.  

She could just as easily tripped over a rock, or slipped on a plastic bag, or had a tree branch fall on her.  She was just unlucky... should have been wearing the lucky charm.  

49 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

It just seems an unfortunate random accident, with no one to blame.

The dog owner is to blame. It´s his dog. He has the responsibility. If he cannot control the dog he must put him on a leash. 

Would you say the same if the dog would bite the woman to death?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Would you say the same if the dog would bite the woman to death?

No, of course not.

So, if it was you children playing and she woman fell over them... you think that she should be able to get money off you for loss of earnings?  What about if she walked to close to you and tripped over your foot?  You are to blame?  

If the dog had ran to her and jumped up at her to knock her over, then, yes they dog owner would be to blame.  Here it just seems to be that the dog accidently bumped into her while playing and not looking where it was going.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

the dog accidently bumped into her while playing and not looking where it was going.

It ran into her and knocked her down...the dog/owner is at fault..there is no accident  as the dog should not have even been  on the estate in the first place ( pets are banned) it should have been on a lead if the owner was visiting...but in this case its an irresponsible owner who lives there and knows the rules but  does not care lets it run around causing chaos and mayhem and takes no responsibility for their "pet"

On 1/8/2020 at 11:43 AM, johng said:

and the police are impotent....  yep you can't make this *hit up 

Seems that you can actually make that *hit up, you did.

“An officer here has now told me that the dog’s owner can be punished with both criminal and civil suits,” Ms Kumaree said.

Reading the link is usually a good idea.

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Seems that you can actually make that *hit up, you did.

from the article posted here

On 1/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, webfact said:

Police say they don’t even know what to charge the dog owner with

I made nothing up.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:27 PM, London Lowf said:

In a Western civilised country she would have grounds for a civil action, but..............

And by the way, it is easy to get up-ended by a small pet - the cat that has adopted me is constantly trying to trip me up to remind me that she needs food.

Many years  back I had a  cat that took delight in ankle "tapping" people when walking in the dark of night. Myself included which is how I know after being near face planted  twice! Other victims I know were totally  mystified. More than one mentioned "ghosts". ????