5 Months and 800,000 baht

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It would seem a 3 hour round tip to imm and back does not apply to most folk at Jomtien.

I expect in some circumstances it could, it takes me perhaps 35-45 minutes each way, (on a bike, truck would be longer), but those who live further out have alternatives like Sri Racha and Rayong, Pattaya traffic isn't light.... (but certainly not like Bangkok). No reports of anyone turning up without the money being penalized, but I would certainly not let it happen, and if anyone does, would they really turn up there to face the music, or develop amnesia?  

On 1/9/2020 at 10:37 AM, Jingthing said:

The 2 months before is based on the application date and the three months after is based on the date the new extension is approved not the ending date of the previous extension. 

Thanks for the information. Doh! as I already had it locked in the brainpan and planned accordingly, will have the 800K in three months after renewal date this year. -sigh - 

"90 day checks" bank account checks are certainly not done in Chiang Mai, at least not yet. A friend did his (90 day notice) and I was in for a TM30 update. Nothing was asked regarding our bank account.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:57 AM, Andyfez said:

Anyway, as you need to put the funds back in about 6 months later I can't see the point of using the 'withdrawal method'.

Depends on how people manage their money. Some would rather make one 'sell' from accounts/Mutual funds, per year. For them it makes sense to drain down the 800K for six months then sell and reupp to 800K.

46 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

Can't understand the problem!!

The issue is not with CW, it is with Jomtiem. The 90 day reports are nothing to do with the money showing requirement, and if one is to be out of the country, they have been told to show up with their 'proof' as soon as they get back. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I expect in some circumstances it could, it takes me perhaps 35-45 minutes each way, (on a bike, truck would be longer), but those who live further out have alternatives like Sri Racha and Rayong, Pattaya traffic isn't light.... (but certainly not like Bangkok). No reports of anyone turning up without the money being penalized, but I would certainly not let it happen, and if anyone does, would they really turn up there to face the music, or develop amnesia?  

Agree with amnesia excuse. Fact is if thought about logically, nobody would turn up to imm with bankbook that does not comply. They would simply exit Thailand prior to permission of stay expiry.

Jomtien imm would certainly not be sending out the troops if someone did not attend imm on prescribed date. Heck they may not even be in the country. So exactly what does check achieve.

I had brain fade just after my Oct extension and almost withdrew some money from a/c. Guess excuse being that this is new requirement. I then would have just waited until my "until date" and exit. Heck I could even continue my flights in and out until that time using current reentry permit. All in all just a lame requirement from Jomtien

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Heck they may not even be in the country. So exactly what does check achieve.

I believe they could drum up a list of those who failed to report/return, and very readily cross check to see if they are still in the country. And then the good old TM30 will direct them there with the chains and thumbscrews! More seriously, since I hear they are being a bit lapse more recently in Jomtiem, forgetting to tell people to come back, (me and a couple of friends), I doubt it very much. Then there are those using agents who are excluded from any list.... It will be interesting after March when Ext renewals may start being checked for the previous 12 months compliance. It would seem likely some will have spent part of the money. Although, as you suggest, exiting Thailand and starting again may be preferred. ????

Edited by jacko45k

Can I just clarify one point please?

My 2nd retirement extension is due next month, how long does the 800,000 have to be in the bank before I apply?  I'm seeing 2 months here, but I thought it was 3?

Normally I'd just leave it there all year, but I used it up waiting for a better exchange rate after Brexit - which got delayed and delayed.  ????

2 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

My 2nd retirement extension is due next month, how long does the 800,000 have to be in the bank before I apply?  I'm seeing 2 months here, but I thought it was 3?

Normally I'd just leave it there all year, but I used it up waiting for a better exchange rate after Brexit - which got delayed and delayed.  ????

Used to be 3 months but new rules state 2 months (and 3 months after granting the extension before you can draw down a maximum of 400k, for a single person that is).........recently renewed mine.

• Like 1

Just now, xylophone said:

Used to be 3 months but new rules state 2 months (and 3 months after granting the extension before you can draw down a maximum of 400k, for a single person that is).........recently renewed mine.

Thanks, this means that I don't have to wait to the last minute to apply - which worries me as I don't really trust immigration not to apply arbitrary rules or to own up to and correct mistakes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

You do not mention which IO you use... in Jomtien they are using the new rule of 2 months pre-seasoning, and I do believe that is true of most offices... but a while ago there were still a few 'rogue' (word of the week) offices, smaller Northern ones, who hadn't got the memo and said 3!

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You do not mention which IO you use... in Jomtien they are using the new rule of 2 months pre-seasoning, and I do believe that is true of most offices... but a while ago there were still a few 'rogue' (word of the week) offices, smaller Northern ones, who hadn't got the memo and said 3!

Sorry, it is Jomtien.

can anyone tell me then .......if you re-new your extension to stay and then( lets say 2 months later) leave Thailand for lets say 2months then return........this means that you are NOT in the country 3 mths after your re-newal .......what is the likely outcome, I ask because this will be me after my next re-newal. After my next renewal I will return "home"for a few months to catch up on family, medicals etc.

Worst case ....when you go to re-new in another year will they ask to see proof the funds were still in bank for 3mths ( even thou this will be a year later ) and outright refuse to re-new your permission to stay for the funds not being maintained for the 3mths?

34 minutes ago, novo58 said:

can anyone tell me then .......if you re-new your extension to stay and then( lets say 2 months later) leave Thailand for lets say 2months then return........this means that you are NOT in the country 3 mths after your re-newal .......what is the likely outcome, I ask because this will be me after my next re-newal. After my next renewal I will return "home"for a few months to catch up on family, medicals etc.

That is only a local requirement at some offices. It is not mandatory under the written rules.

Jomtien immigration have told people it you are out of the country when 3 months after you applied check is due to go in as soon as return. I cannot see any other office wanting the check to be any different.

A bank book update should show the 800k or 400k baht has stayed in bank as required. If not then a bank statement would to do it.

14 hours ago, novo58 said:

Worst case ....when you go to re-new in another year will they ask to see proof the funds were still in bank for 3mths ( even thou this will be a year later ) and outright refuse to re-new your permission to stay for the funds not being maintained for the 3mths?

We do  not know how this will be 'enforced' yet, as the rule change only came into effect March 2019.

Better you at least comply and do retain the money for the required 3 months and 400k for the rest of the time. And do your best to update your book so it will be clear. If you have online banking, you could print off statements. 

On 1/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, Jingthing said:

You posted false information above. There is NO CONNECTION between 90 day address reports and the mandated SHOW the 800K money written ORDERS given at some immigration offices.  None at all! Nobody credible has said that there is. So your report that this didn't come up at a 90 day address report is 100 percent irrelevant.

So every visa service advertising on the internet must be wrong and you must be right.

Frankly, I think I will choose to believe the companies that make their living running visa services.

5D2B869C-6ED3-4A6B-9DC3-2C8D2EC73F4F.jpeg

5F2D67CF-CDDD-4896-B85D-1BCE2EF6E273.jpeg

On 1/10/2020 at 3:40 PM, Peter Denis said:

So why require people to come back after 3 months, when it will also be checked at next extension? 

You are guessing that it will be checked at the next extension, at the moment we do not know since the time point has yet to be reached. I might comment that a check on your previous 12 months bank balance at renewal, has as much validity as doing a 800k bank balance check 3 months after renewal. Neither is stated as a requirement in a police order. If it were, it would in reality mean a retirement extension renewal obligated a 12 month pre-seasoning of money... bobbing between 800k and 400k.

25 minutes ago, Onrai said:

So every visa service advertising on the internet must be wrong and you must be right.

Frankly, I think I will choose to believe the companies that make their living running visa services.

Not sure what kind of game you are playing but I wasn't talking about the topics in your included graphic which I do agree with. 

My comment which is definitely correct is that 90 day address reports are a completely different report than when immigration at some offices requires people to show up 3 months after their extension to show that their bank book still has at least 800k on it and didn't go under. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

My comment which is definitely correct is that 90 day address reports are a completely different report than when immigration at some offices requires people to show up 3 months after their extension to show that their bank book still has at least 800k on it and didn't go under. 

I am not talking bout 90 day address reports in my post. Read the post.

31 minutes ago, Onrai said:

I am not talking bout 90 day address reports in my post. Read the post.

Seriously? 

Yes you did. 

Here

"Example 1. When I did my 90 day immigration reporting retirement visaI didn’t have to show proof that my 800k was still in the bank." 

Those are your words. 

My reply to your report about your 90 day address report was that of course they didn't ask you to show your bank book then because 90 address reports are completely SEPARATE from the mandated show bank book reports being mandated by a few offices such as Jomtien 

No need to reply. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

My reply to your report about your 90 day address report was that of course they didn't ask you to show your bank book then because 90 address reports are completely SEPARATE from the mandated show bank book reports being mandated by a few offices such as Jomtien 

Ok. Few moving parts here. When I went to do my 1st 90 reporting , from the date I received my retirement visa, immigrations  told me I didn’t need to report since I had left the Thailand and hadn’t been back 90 days. So, essentially if I continued to travel and left Thailand every 90 days , as I do, and never return to my Amphur where I am registered then I wouldn’t have to do my 90 day reporting. My tm-30 is required within 48 hours upon returning to the Amphur I’m registered in. If if stayed in my Amphur I would have had to do my 90 day reporting but wouldn’t have had to report to immigrations about my address since I hadn’t left the Amphur. So as far as I understand -there are 2 separate reporting requirements needed.

1. YOu leave your Amphur you need to report online or in person that you are back within 24 hours

2. You don’t  leave your Amphur for 90 days you need to do your 90 day reporting to immigrations.

Not exactly crystal clear but that is the way it was explained to me.

3 minutes ago, Onrai said:

My tm-30 is required within 48 hours upon returning to the Amphur I’m registered in. If if stayed in my Amphur I would have had to do my 90 day reporting but wouldn’t have had to report to immigrations about my address since I hadn’t left the Amphur. So as far as I understand -there are 2 separate reporting requirements needed.

If you never visit immigration, you never need to do a TM30.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onrai said:

Ok. Few moving parts here. When I went to do my 1st 90 reporting , from the date I received my retirement visa, immigrations  told me I didn’t need to report since I had left the Thailand and hadn’t been back 90 days. So, essentially if I continued to travel and left Thailand every 90 days , as I do, and never return to my Amphur where I am registered then I wouldn’t have to do my 90 day reporting. My tm-30 is required within 48 hours upon returning to the Amphur I’m registered in. If if stayed in my Amphur I would have had to do my 90 day reporting but wouldn’t have had to report to immigrations about my address since I hadn’t left the Amphur. So as far as I understand -there are 2 separate reporting requirements needed.

1. YOu leave your Amphur you need to report online or in person that you are back within 24 hours

2. You don’t  leave your Amphur for 90 days you need to do your 90 day reporting to immigrations.

Entering Thailand and passing through immigration is deemed to be an act of ‘reporting’.

Did they also explain that you now have an extension of stay - not a visa.

4 hours ago, Onrai said:

Yes,the visa company you're referring to is completely wrong.

The 90 days report has NOTHING to do with the so called 90 days check, which is the 800k check 90 days after the 1 year extension based on retirement at Jomtien Immigration. No one will ever ask you about money when doing the 90 days report. The 90 days report is a verification of your last reported address,nothing else. This is a well known fact among expats but you're no expat,right?  

Edited by Max69xl
Typo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Onrai said:

1. This depends on immigration office/province. In several offices you don't need to do the TM30 report when travelling in Thailand and coming back to the last reported address. I don't know where you're staying. The TM30 report is not the same as a 90 days report.

2. The 90 days report has nothing to do with your whereabouts in Thailand the last 90 days,you have to do it every 90 days (count from the day of entry in Thailand) at your immigration office in the province you're staying,unless leaving the country.

If leaving the country, the 90 days count starts again from the day of entry (check entry stamp in your passport). When doing the first 90 days report you'll get a receipt with next 'Due date'. Keep it stapled in your passport. If doing the next report manually at immigration, you can do it 15 days earlier and 7 days later (count from the due date). You can also register online and then report online every 90 days if you're staying far from your Immigration office. Even reporting by regular mail is possible. 

55 minutes ago, Onrai said:

I forgot one thing. It seems your're confusing amphoe with province. The amphoe is the district where your're staying. The "official" need for the TM30 report is when leaving the province, not amphoe and coming back home when you have been reported staying in a hotel or guesthouse in another province. But the need for a new TM30 report depends on the immigration office you "belong to". If you never stay in Thailand 90 days, you don't have to think about the 90 days report or even the TM30 report. But immigration "might" ask for the TM30 report when doing next 1 year extension. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Yes,the visa company you're referring to is completely wrong.

The 90 days report has NOTHING to do with the so called 90 days check, which is the 800k check 90 days after the 1 year extension based on retirement at Jomtien Immigration. No one will ever ask you about money when doing the 90 days report. The 90 days report is a verification of your last reported address,nothing else. This is a well known fact among expats but you're no expat,right?  

As to the lawyers and immigration services that outline the criteria on their website and make their living by navigating the visa process- well I am not sure I will dismiss their statements as inaccurately. And I don’t know what being an expat has to do with anything. I do live in Thailand, I do have a retirement visa, I did do the whole process myself and I am in compliance with the immigration code as spelled out on 

First of all why does everyone who responds always reference Jomtien?  I live in Loei and things may be done differently in Isaan. 

The 90 day check is only applicable after you have been in thailand 90 days. YOu can have a retirement visa, as I do, and since I travel outside the country frequently I am not required to do a 90 day address check because i am never in Thailand for  90 days. And that is clearly outlined and defined on immigration.go.th. And yes I am an expat with a non retirement visa. 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:05 AM, Gilltom said:

Yes we ad to go 3months later so prove money still in bank.don't know how visa shops  get round that.would be very  interesting to know though

Visa shops are working illegally. Anyone getting a retirement visa through an agent is participating and aiding corruption.

It's ironic that one of my friends is constantly moaning about the corruption in Thailand and the lack of integrity of Thai people, yet gets a visa to stay here by paying tea money. 

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Visa shops are working illegally. Anyone getting a retirement visa through an agent is participating and aiding corruption.

Why would you say that without a little more qualification? If a person  applies for a retirement extension, why would using an agent to do all the legwork and vet the paperwork be 'illegal' and corrupt? 

It is a bit of an old chestnut here, but even if an agent is used to facilitate an extension, bypassing the usual requirements, isn't there a legal facility for an IO to sign off on this, legitimately? 

• Haha 1

800K  Id get shut  baht will be doing a nose dive soon.

About agents....I use income ,because of baht increase was short by few months (only 1k) never looked  at income.   Immigration desk,yes immigration number 8 jontiem,lady quietly stated that will be 5k thank you extra,..now an agent stated he was doing it for me for a cheap price of 9k     (one year renewal )  go to desk    ,half price