“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Agree but...… If your business is based on only tourists would it not make business sense to have some English speaking staff.

I think they have.

who write the sign?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Don't overestimate your value for Thai economy

Here in Isaan nobody speaks English, how do they survive )

Not many restaurants in Esan/Isaan, and mostly they struggle to survive, their children working in factories (or worse) in B/K or Chonburi etc. sending money home to support them!

Edited by sambum

7 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

How is it directed at all foreigners? It‘s there for all to read, but it applies only to those who complain about the staff‘s English - big difference! 

Thankyou. 

7 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Your “translation” on the other hand felt to me like you think all Thais think like that which they clearly don’t! 

Racist translation. 

• Haha 1

In a country highly dependant on tourists it is pretty sad how bad the translations on menus are. It's fun at first but can become a problem very quickly. I found them amusing until I realised how the price is translated too!

What is most frustrating is the fact that even Thai speakers can't order a meal that is a mixture of the other dishes on the menu. The ingredients are there, they know how to cook them but thinking outside the box is very rare for Thais not educated outside of the country. (I'm not talking about places with computer tills.)

I have to say so much rubbish "goes viral" SM needs a vaccine shot.

6 hours ago, Nkpjed said:

I have to agree with the sign.  If you are in any foreign country and don’t understand the language don’t complain.  Expecting everyone in a foreign country to speak your language, whatever it is, is not only unrealistic but arrogant and just plain stupid.  And for those who choose to live here that don’t even try and learn the language you should never complain.  Whatever country you choose to live in learn the language.  Thai is a difficult language but it’s not impossible to learn.  Don’t just sit back like a moron and get by with your wife or gf translating everything for you.  Thai’s love it when you try to speak their language and you’d be surprised at how much enjoyable living here is when you can speak, read and write Thai.

There is a big difference between a tourist or working expat / longtime retiree.

I would not expect a tourist on a short vacation to learn Thai.. but I would hope that establishments catering to tourists have staff who can speak English (as it really seems to be the common denominator for Western tourists)

If you work or live in Thailand long term, you should make an effort to learn Thai as you can't expect everyone you interact with to speak a European language.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enki said:

What have consonants and tones to do with it? The vowels are completely straight forward. And unlike english or danish that uses 5 vowels in odd combinations to form actually the sound (sound, instead of saund, sea versus see, beak, bear, been, boom etc. sun instead of san, sand instead of saend or seand?) In other words: there is basically no english word that is pronounced like it is spelled. Thai vowels are pronounced _exactly_ as they are spelled, hence they were smart and introduced their own letters for every vowel and diphthong just like norwegians and danish did ????

Complex languages are indeed Finish, Basque, and German, Russian, English, but also: Spanish, Italian ... etc.

English: "Yesterday I have been in the cinema".

Thai: "Yesterday go cinema"

English: "After the cinema yesterday, we had dinner".

Thai: "After go cinema yesterday, dinner" or more typical "After yesterday go cinema already, go dinner with friends" In this case, "already" is a marker word to indicate that something happened after something else.

And so on. No singular, no plural. No genders as in male or female. No special future or past tense. Just an arrangement of words.

In your language comparison, you should have looked first for "native speakers". If you count Indians, you might have a point and get indeed close to 1.5b english speakers. The planet has 7.5billion people however ... so good luck convincing the other 6 billion that they _need_ to learn english ????

OK, try this: : Mai mai mai mai". Which translated from Thai means " Wet wood does not burn". Unless one can read Thai, it's virtually impossible for a non-Thai to get the tones right.

Granted English is difficult. I never said it wasn't. German is probably one of the easiest languages around, I don't know where you get the idea it's complex.

But keep on flogging your hobby horse if you enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

OK, try this: : Mai mai mai mai". Which translated from Thai means " Wet wood does not burn". Unless one can read Thai, it's virtually impossible for a non-Thai to get the tones right.

Granted English is difficult. I never said it wasn't. German is probably one of the easiest languages around, I don't know where you get the idea it's complex.

But keep on flogging your hobby horse if you enjoy it.

But it is not that important to get the tones right. It is usually clear from context. German is easy for english, dutch or nordic speaking people. But most english call it complicated. Your millage may vary ????

3 minutes ago, Enki said:

But it is not that important to get the tones right. It is usually clear from context. German is easy for english, dutch or nordic speaking people. But most english call it complicated. Your millage may vary ????

A curious argument - context does the job for Thai, and doesn't do it for English?

In my youth, I studied Latin, French and German. German was by far the easiest for me. Your posts are reminding me of one of the Latin aphorisms " Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

I think they have.

who write the sign?

I'm not talking about this specific place but any farang based business. Just looking at it from a business point of view. Personally I could care less. 

Damn, so much moaning and complaining.  I thought all the moaners had buggered off. 55

As for the sign (yes I know it's an old photo), it says don't complain. And indeed, why would you? It's not a 5 star foreign tourist orientated restaurant, now is it? In your average restaurant or watering hole just be be patient and understanding. That goes both for the staff and customers. No need for an attitude. Maybe the owner got a bunch of rude English speaking people in a row and thus the sign. In the unlikely event that they put it up after one single guest pointed out a spelling mistake on the menu.. well , just don't visit the place again if it as a bad vibe. Relax, enjoy, smile, constructive feedback is good, moaning and complaining is not. Chill. ????

• Like 2

I never complained nor even thought to complain about their English skills. It is their country.  I am the visitor.  I always kind of enjoyed hearing some broken english with the lovely lady Thai accents, or see some written English that had incorrect grammar.  It simply reminds me I am traveling and in a place I like.

Years ago on my first and only trip down to Tijuana Mexico, went for just one night and was there for a few hours.  I was a bit dismayed at how little English was spoken there by just about every shop keeper, even the great little taco shop we were eating at.  My first thought was, they should be interested in learning and using English as they are right over the border and English speaking people are a huge part of their business.  I was not mad.  I was just taken a bit back that they would not have made more of an effort.