Prohibited Occupations List

Sometime ago I read, I think on Thai Visa, that the list of Prohibited Occupations for foreigners in Thailand was being updated and certain jobs, previously prohibited were now open to foreigners. I did a google search to try and find information on this and this was probably the clearest relevant article I could find:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1473461/migrant-workers-allowed-to-work-in-12-new-sectors

A quote from the article states:

'The 12 occupations which will be delisted from the ban include labour work, bricklaying, carpentry and other construction work, though migrants are required to seek permission before taking the jobs.'

However, everything that I've found relates to proposed changes that were supposed to come into effect during July 2018 - I cannot find anything that states the proposals have been passed into law.

This article also has a section on the update:

https://thailawonline.com/en/others/labour-law/forbidden-occupations-for-foreigners-jobs.html

However, the translation of the proposed changes is particularly bad and in parts, does not make sense.

For example:

'Employees who work in a foreign company can do so, but they must have a driver's license to promote Thai wisdom and identity, labor demand as necessary for national development, international engagement or commitment, and national security are important' 

Employees working in a foreign company doing what? (you need to read it all to understand what I mean).

I don't know if that website translated the update themselves or were supplied it in that state.

Whatever, I cannot find any concrete information regarding the current state of play and whether the proposed 'relaxing' of the prohibited occupations list was ever actually passed into law.

Anybody have chapter and verse on this?

On 2/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, KhaoYai said:

Because I'm not looking for a job.

A foreigner applying for a wp is not imo a migrant worker. That applies for workers from neighbouring countries. You can find the correct list of prohibited jobs using Google. And the new law came into effect 2018 as you mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I thought dishwasher was on Farang can’t do. Last night I was asked to wash the dishes.. explained why I can’t ... was told can’t and she said she won’t... 

Isn't that what the servants are for? It is in my household

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jimn said:

Fair enough, you have answered my question then. Pointless thread.

Why is it a pointless thread? I have a reason for wanting to know the latest position on prohibited employment types. As far as I know, there is no requirement on TV for a poster to give a reason for their questions. If a member doesn't want to give the information asked for because the poster hasn't said why they want it - that is also their right.

I don't expect a grilling when I post a queery and neither would my reasons affect the list.

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...