Coronavirus cases in Thailand remain at 32

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Ther are speculations that hot and humid weather isn't good for the virus. I understand hot, but I can't understand humid is bad for the virus. Water is the trigger of life for every living thing, including viruses.

IMG_20200211_054955.jpg

• Like 1

I read that since the 7 of February, China stopped counting people that have no symptoms but test positive to the coronavirus. I wonder if the thai will follow the same strategy? The Japanese already do the same. 

Edited by Tayaout

37 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I read that since the 7 of February, China stopped counting people that have no symptoms but test positive to the coronavirus. I wonder if the thai will follow the same strategy? The Japanese already do the same. 

Seems like it was misinterpreted: https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f1py42/chinese_national_health_commission_has_changed/fh81a6v?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Edit: not sure what to believe anymore: https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f1uztl/who_on_china_changing_its_definition_for_a/fh8kz23?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Edited by Tayaout

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If your living in Thailand especially the predicted hot spots such as bkk, then your comment "not just my own comfort and safety", you may reconsider.

What has not been discussed is consequence of first expat case here.

I'm referring to compulsory medical care.

Who will pay medical cost of your incubation period. 

Got sneaky feeling it won't be Thai medical system. Even health Care is in debate.

I'm pretty sure they're more concerned about the millions of Thai people whose livelihoods will disappear if they lock down the country than they are about some foreigners who haven't properly provided for the cost of their own healthcare, either through insurance, a GoFundMe page, or an adequately funded retirement nestegg.

If it comes down to my comfort and safety, or millions of people's livelihoods, I agree with them.  That's not to say I have the answer.  Because I don't have a lot of the data I'd need, and input from stakeholders.  And between you and me...  We aren't stakeholders.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

What has not been discussed is consequence of first expat case here.

I'm referring to compulsory medical care.

Who will pay medical cost of your incubation period. 

go read small letters on your useless and expensive insurance: NO PANDEMIC covered !

• Haha 2

So, 32 cases in Thailand. Even if it's 100x that number, not bad in a country of around 70 million. In my native UK, eight cases all believed to have stemmed from one person. Not bad in a country of around 65 million. I can understand caution, but I can also understand mass hysteria stirred by a media hungry for something interesting to about. And, as someone else pointed out above, if something more interesting comes along, like the Korat massacre, then suddenly the virus is no longer front page news. At the moment, it fills a gap.

Still 0 in Cambo and Laos? Probably because they'd have to send their samples to Thailand where it's seemingly only the labs at Chula and NIH (controlled by Ministry of Public Health, ie. the throw Ai Farangs out Anutin) that act as reference labs capable of doing the diagnosis. Their backlog must now be somewhere in the hundreds. Samples from other countries would be in the bottom of the pile.

Here's something that suggests BKK might soon get it's own clusters:

In the early hours of Tuesday, health officials began a partial evacuation of residents from an apartment block in Tsing Yi, in northwestern Hong Kong, over fears the virus may have been transmitted via the building's pipes.
Two residents living on different floors of a high-rise tower called Hong Mei House had been infected with coronavirus, health officials said. Parts of the building have now been evacuated as health officials and engineers carried out emergency checks.
Microbiologist KY Yuen said that an improperly sealed pipe could have resulted in the virus, by carrying feces into the building's ventilation system and blowing it into people's apartments.
"As the pipeline that transfers feces is connected to the air pipe, it is very likely for the virus in the feces to be transmitted through the air fan into the toilet," Yuen said. He added that the transmission route is not clear yet, so the evacuation was a precaution.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/10/asia/wuhan-coronavirus-update-intl-hnk/index.html

Sounds a lot like the cheap condos in Thailand.

from NY Times By Gabriel Leung at WHO HQ Geneva
Dr. Leung is an infectious disease epidemiologist and dean of medicine at the University of Hong Kong.
Feb. 10, 2020

We now estimate that it takes about five to six days — possibly upward of 14 days — for someone to show symptoms after becoming infected. ...

No. 1 is the “clinical iceberg” question: How much of it is hidden below the surface? Because the outbreak is still evolving, we can’t yet see the totality of those infected. Out of view is some proportion of mildly infected people, with minor symptoms or no symptoms, who no one knows are infected.

A fleet of invisible carriers sounds ominous; but in fact, an enormous hidden figure would mean many fewer of the infected are dying. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/opinion/coronavirus-china-research.html

Edited by SkyFax

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

@DrTuner actually there was 1 case in Cambodia long time ago.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Thanks, that was 27th January. Not sure if there was much backlog that time. 

Highly likely Cambos have a large cluster already, given Sihanoukville and other places frequented by the Chinese.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Australian GDP is about 3% from all tourism, with about 15% of that coming from China.  Meaning about 0.5% of Australia's GDP comes from Chinese tourists.   Losing that's painful, but not catastrophic.

Thailand's GDP is about 20% from tourism, with 30% of those being Chinese.  Meaning about 6% of Thailand's GDP comes from Chinese tourists.  Supporting between 3-4 million Thai people.  Losing that is catastrophic for many.

They ain't coming anyway mate, certainly not more than 10% of the usual numbers.

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Therefore, the blood of a recovered person can be immediately extracted to obtain lymphatic cells that have immunity, or antibodies.

Immediately?!?!?

Is their blood tested first for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV, Chagas, Ebola, SARS, dengue, encephalitis, lymphatic filariasis, malaria, etc?

Or would that be prohibitedly too expensive for "jungle" medicine, Daktari? ????

Sabuu = 20B, Mask = 5B.  Good to go Somchai.

Screenshot_20200211-125214_LINE.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419

5 hours ago, peter48 said:

These figures are relatively low ...well done Thailand managing to control things  closeness to China and BKK as a massive population travel hub and large numbers of Tourists . Looks impressive. 

If the figures are true which i doubt its only down to luck ,and nothing the Thai government has done has helped.I am hoping that this virus struggles in a hot climate ,and that will be great for Thailand .The normal flu virus mainly hits the US and Europe in Winter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7990605/Coronavirus-spread-lingering-AIR-Chinese-official-claim

Coronavirus could spread through the AIR even after a patient has left the room, Chinese official claims as the disease's death toll rises past 1,000

• A local government official said the virus could spread by aerosol transmission
  • This means it is infectious as quantities low enough to float in the air in a room
  • People may therefore be at risk for longer after an infected person was nearby
  • Experts say there is no evidence of this happening in the outbreak in China
  • More than 43,000 people have now been infected and over 1,000 have died 

12 hours ago, peter48 said:

These figures are relatively low ...well done Thailand managing to control things  closeness to China and BKK as a massive population travel hub and large numbers of Tourists . Looks impressive. 

Your last sentence is the key.

We have already seen evidence of the Thai government putting tourism revenue before the health it its own citizens.

So, who would trust such a government to publish accurate numbers (if they even have the), I don't know.