What would you do if you get the virus?

ChipButty

Normally I would take a couple of aspirins and go to bed if I had any symptoms but since my stepdaughter will be giving birth in around 20 days and she and the child will be living with us I would, for the child's sake, go to hospital and hope that I hadn't infected anybody.

34 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Normally I would take a couple of aspirins and go to bed if I had any symptoms but since my stepdaughter will be giving birth in around 20 days and she and the child will be living with us I would, for the child's sake, go to hospital and hope that I hadn't infected anybody.

As you can be infectious without symptoms are sure that you want to risk it? However, as the chance of getting it if not living somewhere with a lot of tourists is small, where you live would be significant.

Anyway, as much chance of getting it in the hospital when giving birth as from you.

23 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Can you reference statistics about incidence of Corvid-19 in children?

On 3/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, ThaiBunny said:

Maybe, but it's not all the frail and weak. There have been recent stories about a group you'd presume are frail and weak to be under-represented the statistics - children

this virus has not killed anyone under 9 years old.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities
  • Thanks 1

If I had symptoms that don't go beyond those of a common cold or mild case of influenza, I would self quarantine at home. Only if the symptoms get worse or don't ease within 1-2 weeks, I'd call the MOPH hotline. In that case, I would make sure to update my will before I hand myself in to Thai quacks who might well see it fit to use me for unethical medical experiments.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Dont take aspirins it thins out your blood too much when I had dengue last year the Doc said dont take any

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, ChipButty said:

There's got to be some people who cant afford the hospital bills what would they do?

You mean there's some Falang too stupid to go to an affordable Government Hospital?

Because they don't know the same doctors practice in both government and private hospitals, different days of the week.

Or they falsely think because they pay more money their health care is better?

Kind of like the wine snobs who didn't know cheap wine was poured into an expensive wine bottle and they rated the taste of the wine quite high because they were fooled by the fancy wine label. 

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Dont take aspirins it thins out your blood too much when I had dengue last year the Doc said dont take any

That was good advice, as Hemorrhagic fever can be a result of dengue, so paracetamol is the better painkiller/fever reducer to take in this case. 

Don't know if Covid 19 can produce the same side effect.

• Like 1

came to Pattaya for a month and started coughing from day 1

1. How many cigarettes do you smoke a day (lung damage)

2. How many drinks do you have a day (liver damage)

3. How many kilos are you overweight (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure)

Do you believe in cause and effect? ????

Turn off the AC and put on your thickest clothes and have a sweat session.  Hit the sauna if possible.

There's a reason why you have a fever when you catch a cold/flu, because elevated body temperatures kill viruses, including the covid-19.  

This is probably the reason why Thailand hasn't gone full "plague zone" yet.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:10 AM, Don Mega said:

Ive had the flu a few times, plenty of rest and a few lemon, honey and garlic drinks will have me sorted in a day or 2.

Influenza Type B that complicated to pneumonia last year. 7 days in hospital with an IV, saline and antibiotics and I was good to go. I think Covid-19 wouldn't be any worse than that and most healthy people will probably show the same symptoms as yourself

On 3/1/2020 at 11:28 AM, Chivas said:

Visitors to Pattaya really need to know my experience but also many others told the very same story

I came to Pattaya for a month and started coughing from day 1....this is towards end of January and Corona wasn't "quite" so big in the news then as now but everyone was aware of it nonetheless. I didnt panic not my style at all but thought keep an eye on it obviously.

Didnt stop for the entire month (except for a 5 day side trip to Manila) which should have sent warning bells off and got on to the plane and within 30 minutes flying home to UK the cough had gone....period

Since then have been reading multiple reports of the same experiences all putting it all down to the filthy air pollution of Pattaya and Bangkok

To the OP question "what would you do"....well I for one wasn't turning up at some Thai hospital insured or otherwise (I was) saying hey I'm concerned I've contracted Corona because quite simply you wouldn't have been leaving that hospital anytime soon !

Pattaya Cough it’s been there for years

id go greet all my neighbours!

A couple of our friends in bkk have flu like symptoms with a chesty cough and hospitals arent checking for corona it seems. They have been told to go home and wait a couple days and cone back if it gets worse. Considering the circumstances wouldnt testing for anyone showing a possible sympton be compulsory? 

Makes me wonder how many people acrually have it!!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

The common first symptoms are dry cough and fever. If I get dry cough and fever the last place I'll go will be to a hospital crawling with virus and resistant bacteria. 

They can't give any treatment anyway, so let the disease take its course. I will lock myself away in an airconditioned room and have the wife decontaminate everything downstairs. For food she can pass bread, food and a portable gas burner through the bedroom door.

I'm 67 but with excellent heart and lungs, so figure I have a good chance to get through by myself....if I need paracetamol for the fever I can get it myself. Then wait. If I die, well we all die don't we....but I don't want some trumped up charges from greedy hospitals charging me tens of thousands for tests and medicines that don't affect the outcome.

I agree with everything you say, especially the last sentence.

Not sure about using a gas cooker in a closed room though.

To anyone here that says; 'Just wait it out , flu is flu, self delivered remedies and she'll be right!

DON'T follow such inane advice!

If you have been in or live in areas where there is the slightest possibility you may have come in contact with travellers from infection zones (this infection and active infection zone range is still an unknown quantity - that's the nature of the passing of infection! 

But if you have flu-like symptoms isolate yourself [if it's flu, sure you'll probably recover in a short time and not possibly kill others with what you carry BUT if you have Corona [you won't know UNTIL tested].

Self diagnosis is not worth s..t! 

Isolate yourself from EVERYONE !

Call the local hospital (I imagine they will send an ambulance for you?). Get tested ASAP. 

• Like 1

Everyone Has Had a Coronavirus Before: A Cellular Biologist Explains

Ever had the common cold before? 

Then you had a coronavirus. 

Not COV-19, but a different strain or genetic variety.

Love how this guy says not to worry unless you have "preexisting conditions".

You know....

Like most of the TVF Pattaya Dinosaur Typing pool probably has because of their "lifestyle choices". ????

There's no point in panicking, if you catch it you need to stay in door for maybe 2 weeks, and drink plenty of fluid, sweat out the fever and stay in bed.  That is if you have a normal immune system. If not you could get seriously ill....  

14 hours ago, balo said:

There's no point in panicking, if you catch it you need to stay in door for maybe 2 weeks, and drink plenty of fluid, sweat out the fever and stay in bed.  That is if you have a normal immune system. If not you could get seriously ill....  

What coronavirus does to the body and how it can become severe

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body-and-how-it-can-become-severe/ar-BB10E2rf?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 1