Anutin to propose temporary closure of entertainment venues to fight Covid-19

rooster59

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Confused as to how closing these venues would be any better than Thailand's superb - and world beating - less than a hundred cases in 2 months and only 1 death. Unless there are more that we don't know about.....

90 died the other day in one day on the roads, more than infected Covid people and 89 more than covid deaths currently here - but this fool is not banning road travel. Why ? 

Course there is more and likely 1000s

These closures if they happen (and they're happening everywhere else) will send the vast majority of places to the graveyard

• Like 1

So a handful of irresponsible Thai, note not dirty farangs, decide to party in defiance of regulations and they don't suffer any actions against  them.

But literally  millions of Thai will lose their jobs and go without pay. Seems to me there will be more than a little anger across a swathe of this country,  and it will be aimed at the witless mob who are supposed to be leaders. 

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Those of us from temperate climates know, full well that coronavirus's spread more rapidly in the winter months. It's the classic 'colds and flu' season. So why should this latest coronavirus version be any different?

But this is likely the clam before the storm as flu season starts in a few months here (wet season).

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

In fairness it is a wise decision , however how many got infected from

the bars? Besides the latest 7?

And there you have it. A typical Thai reaction. After that group picked the virus up from drinking together in a bar, the reaction is to consider closing all bars. Nothing surprising there.

• Like 1

Problem: One person with Corvid 19 goes out to a bar with a bunch of friends.  Several of those friends contract Corvid 19 from him.

Solution: Close all entertainment venues 

Like, duhhh ???? 

It'll sure do wonders for the ever dwindling tourist numbers.  "Come to Thailand, PS everywhere's shut".  Spin that TAT 

Numbers don't include all the rural areas in Isan where many of the South Korean "Pi Noi's" are now in and ignoring quarantine rules. My wife who is up there now reports many funerals. Told her to keep clear and do not let her 83 year old mother go to them!.

9 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Problem: One person with Corvid 19 goes out to a bar with a bunch of friends.  Several of those friends contract Corvid 19 from him.

Solution: Close all entertainment venues 

Like, duhhh ???? 

It'll sure do wonders for the ever dwindling tourist numbers.  "Come to Thailand, PS everywhere's shut".  Spin that TAT 

The tourism industry, as predicted, is dead.

Gone. 

Kaput.

Over.

The sooner they wake up to that reality the better it will be for everybody.

Maybe, just maybe, it will return but you are looking at 18 to 24 months IMO before confidence returns to travel internationally.

Edited by Yadon Toploy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It was found that some returnees from high-risk countries neglected self-quarantine at home and were hanging out at nightspots which caused cluster infection, he added.

Infection...not the word I usually associate with following ‘cluster’,

though both apply to this scenario. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

Its alright to do this I guess, but seems pointless when you routinely have mass gatherings everyday. What about the BTS at peak hour? Hospital waiting areas, malls and shopping centres, bus stations etc. People still have to get on with life

True, but there is a certain cachet which comes from getting your name in the papers. Ask any politician, effectiveness is unimportant, exposure is the name of the game.

6 hours ago, Mung said:

I'm surprised this man still has a job; then again I'm reminded where in the world he works, and it all makes sense. 

Nah, he's a splendid fellow.

Misunderstood but a splendid fellow who's working very hard to make a name for himself. Column inches is the only game in town. What you get is prime, how you get it, not so much. Just another guy on the make.

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Seems a bit excessive in a country of 60 million people with only 82 cases 

Does he know something we don't?

????????????????????????????

Probably knows the actual number of cases is 10-20x the discovered ones

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

please elaborate 

anyone get the impression that actions being taken are not reflecting what we are being told - It's like his nose is getting longer and longer to the point were he has ordered arm extensions to pick it thinking nobody will notice

so right now all this for about 20 remaining cases in Thailand - really

nothing to see here move on all under control nudge nudge wink wink say no more

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Without sufficient testing we have no idea how many are infected. Does Thailand have sufficient testing? How many have been tested? I don't know.

33 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

about time people wake up. shut everything down now. go home and stay there.

as i said two weeks ago i am in full lock down at my house and you should be too.

social distancing.

start thinking about a plan for what you are going to do when you get sick and stop making jokes about the virus.

mods should delete all comments about "masks do nothing".

there are thousands of people right pouring into thailand from the worst areas of the pandemic.

the airports should be closed. 

I’ve been doing the lockdown at my house too for the last 9 days.  But are you surprised by what many other posters post here?  Thailand doesn’t just need financial requirements for retirees...they need IQ requirements also.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:
6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Seven new coronavirus (Covid-19) cases were confirmed on Saturday (March 14) by the Public Health Ministry, raising the number of infections in Thailand to 82.

It was found that some returnees from high-risk countries neglected self-quarantine at home and were hanging out at nightspots which caused cluster infection, he added.

These two statements in the OP are incompatible. If there are only 82 cases in a country of nearly 70 million then there clearly is no 'cluster infection'. Or has the good minister accidentally let the cat out of the bag and the 82 cases is as accurate as TAT's tourist numbers?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is a good move and I support it. I still think the guy is a complete ass, I wonder who told him to do this as I doubt it was his own idea?

They should shut down all pubs, bars, nightlife, large busy night markets and I believe restaurants which often serve as bars anyway.

I don't think we're ready for quarantines yet but lets see how it turns out.

They should also round up all the street hookers repeatedly and maybe implement a curfew just to make sure the whole thing doesn't continue behind closed doors - as we all know it will.

This is going to be unpopular but vital if the numbers start to get out of hand.

I reckon we have no idea what the real numbers are but this guy will know them!

And I suppose it's a given by you then that, as there are far, far more people crowded onto public transport, then all public transport should be shut down too.

• Like 1

Could somebody please ask the health minister which nationality the people are who have come back from a country on the at risk group and are happily being allowed  to spread the virus amongst there fellow citizens,

aahhhhhh forgive me i should have written fellow party goers not fellow citizens.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I suppose it's a given by you then that, as there are far, far more people crowded onto public transport, then all public transport should be shut down too.

Nothing short of complete world border shutdowns will solve this, hard to call but even harder not to 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1