All over 70s in UK told to self isolate, lockdowns, entry bans imposed worldwide

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

What gets me is on the one hand the UK is telling people they may have to self-Isolate for 4 months then on the other telling them not to panic buy!!! 

What would you do if somebody told you you MIGHT not be able to leave your house for 4 months, of course you’d stick up.

Order from Amazon. - Get it delivered to your door. Wait for them to leave - and go pick it up once they've gone. - Amazon Fresh might not be across the whole of the UK, but Amazon Pantry is, so anything that you could stock up on for an expected four months in your home can be ordered in.

A lot more certain I know how to do that in the UK than in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

In the end it can only be advantageous for the NHS, old people with diabetes, obesity problems and high blood pressure will be culled by corona, the healthy will be unaffected, will free up hospital beds and housing. This corona panic is good practice for a serious virus pandemic which is bound to come and has long been forecasted which will kill millions so the experience gained with corona shouldn't be lost but examined and improved upon internationally.

I'm sorry - but do you not think this pandemic is the one that's going to kill millions?

The death rate in the UK is currently 2½% - and that's when there hasn't been enough cases to cause a shortage of ventilators yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The BBC is not the Health Minister who is continually being misqouted by both them and others. He said the measures MAY be bought in - I watched the interview on the Andrew Marr programme this morning.

To repeat - the UK government is considering a number of measures and all of them depend on how well the current response works. Hancock also said that he did not expect that the measures would have to be enforced - he thought people would be sensible enough to carry them out themselves.  His overall tone regarding self isolation for over 70's seemed to convey a message that it was understood that it would be very difficult to totally self isolate for a long period - suggesting a degree of flexibility.

The mechanics of such a move also need to be taken into consideration - it would require an enormous amount additional care workers to enable groceries and supplies to be delivered to those self isolating. Many elderly people also need regular medical supplies and physiotherapy following surgical procedures etc.  There is a current system for the delivery of medical supplies but I suspect it would be overwhelmed if all over 70's suddenly self isolated.

These measures may or may not be introduced but at the moment the government has not said they will take place - only that they are under consideration. It depends on what happens over the coming days and weeks.

The number of people I've seen outside in the last couple of days in London - with coughs - suggests they're not following his instructions on self-isolation.

Admittedly one of them was homeless, so I'm not really sure how he could self-isolate.

11 hours ago, thurien said:

don't forget even small villages have seasonal workers going berry-picking in Europe, illegal Thais in Korea, construction workers in BKK and the inevitable local girl working bars in Pattaya...

You can cross that last one off the list. The last one got on the 409 to Buriram last night.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

So the question is should one return to the UK with the associated risks or extend stay in Thailand for the duration, assuming one has the choice? The associated rider is that if stay extended, then no health insurance cover extension.

Basically depends if you are in the higher-risk age demographic, how your NHS entitlements (if any) stack up and how well-funded you are to take care of any hospitalization here in lieu of insurance.

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you are suggesting that foreigners over xx years and already in the country will be told to self-isolate like the locals, then yes, that may well be the next logical step. We aren't special.

But they cannot do this just for foreigners over xx years and already in the country, it has to be for all people over this age including Thai nationals otherwise it will be seen as a xenophobic reaction and certainly bad for an already troubled country.

5 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

The UK stands on the brink of a unprecedented peacetime disaster.

An unnamed Tory MP described the Prime Minister as a 'Darwinian' who fears the potential backlash at home if Covid-19 claims more UK lives than lives abroad, while another remarked: 'The problem is that it is Tory voters who will be dying'. 

Meanwhile, sources close to Mr Johnson say the Executive is panicking that parts of the UK's healthcare system are already in 'meltdown'. 

Local resilience forums are reportedly begging for directives from central Government, with one Whitehall source remarking: 'This is now a full-on Hollywood movie horror show. The local resilience forums are screaming for help.' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114593/Inside-prime-ministers-haunted-exhausted-inner-circle-battling-coronavirus.html

Ah yes, the Daily Mail's famously anonymous and therefore wholly unverifiable sh*t-stir for the woefully uninformed dullards.

3 out of 10

Must try (much) harder.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:
14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you are suggesting that foreigners over xx years and already in the country will be told to self-isolate like the locals, then yes, that may well be the next logical step. We aren't special.

But they cannot do this just for foreigners over xx years and already in the country, it has to be for all people over this age including Thai nationals otherwise it will be seen as a xenophobic reaction and certainly bad for an already troubled country.

What part of "told to self-isolate like the locals" is unclear?

I don't think there's any question of the Thai government forcing only the aging farang demographic into health-gulags but I will admit that this forum's noisome Popular Front for the Promotion of The Importance of Xenophobic Old Farangs in Thailand will be all over that like a rash.

• Like 1

All over 70s in UK told to self isolate....

More Fake News! The UK Government announced yesterday that it was planned to order over 70s to self-isolate and that the order would be given in the near future. It is not yet mandatory.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

panic buying at makros in bangkok today - wife showed me the images and stories on kapook earlier - looked like USA

highly suggest a makro run tomorrow if you are partial to the odd can of sardines or dried noodles!

Well - that comment will ensure that panic buying starts elsewhere.

17 hours ago, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

Why don't you ring  and ask <deleted>.

19 hours ago, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

Depends on your ticket type. Cheap ticket is likely non refundable, however you might be able to pay for a date change.  Check T & Cs in your booking confirmation email.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A surprising amount of outwardly intelligent people seem to be regularly conflating 'self-isolation' with starvation and death.

So you tell me how a poor old lonely person gets his food delivered.

By friends, relatives, neighbors and government agency workers who are specifically tasked with making sure everyone is being taken care of.

There was a comment by an older English lady on a BBC Radio Five Live phone-in claiming that the British survived the living hell of the WWII blitz by going to the bunkers when the sirens went off but more importantly, by looking out for each other. There were old and lonely and disabled people back then as well and she reckons the ability to come together out of the pure survival imperative will quickly resurface. I am sure there are Russians who will regale how Stalingrad proved their nation's deepest inner fortitude at a time when it was most desperately needed as well.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The mechanics of such a move also need to be taken into consideration - it would require an enormous amount additional care workers to enable groceries and supplies to be delivered to those self isolating. Many elderly people also need regular medical supplies and physiotherapy following surgical procedures etc.  There is a current system for the delivery of medical supplies but I suspect it would be overwhelmed if all over 70's suddenly self isolated.

But ol' Boris has gone on record as saying that no expense would be spared by HMG in tackling the coronavirus crisis. So hopefully an army of civil servants in DHSC is currently beavering away in quantifying and costing additional care requirements arising from any enforced self-isolation for the over-70's. But fingers firmly crossed that this is something that will never need to see the light of day (or at least until 2050 when the 30-year rule expires)!

19 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

What gets me is on the one hand the UK is telling people they may have to self-Isolate for 4 months then on the other telling them not to panic buy!!! 

What would you do if somebody told you you MIGHT not be able to leave your house for 4 months, of course you’d stick up.

They would need to put a policeman at my door, probably need two. ????

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Ah yes, the Good Ol' Dunkirk Spirit and all that!

What that particular lady and others who gaze wistfully through their rose-tinted specs hankering after its return in 2020 seem to overlook is the fact that WW2 was being fought 80 years ago now, and that major societal changes have taken place in the UK since 1945. Whether for the better or the worse is, of course, not a topic for discussion on this particular thread.

Since this thread is about the UK government's tentative plans for the oldies to hide themselves away, what are these major societal changes that you speak of that will make this all so perilous?

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Ah yes, the Daily Mail's famously anonymous and therefore wholly unverifiable sh*t-stir for the woefully uninformed dullards.

3 out of 10

Must try (much) harder.

Some people here really have no idea what is shortly about to happen but then if ignorance is bliss carry on we all have to approach this in our own ways. Some of us have been preparing quietly since late January when sadly the writing was on the wall. It would appear the UK Government has been late to the party. Anyway up to you I'm working with family , friends and neighbours to help best we can and support each other because more than likely the Government just won't be there when we most need them. We will get through this, some sadly won't and it is pure and simply the war for our generation.

Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population “are expected” to contract the virus.

The document says that: “As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

Edited by URMySunshine

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

as i was saying on another topic it is completely possible the next step here is Thai immigration will follow suit for Farangs with retirement extension of stay.

now that they see this they may copy the UK.   

If they go that route, it will simply be, "White skins stay at home".  Doubt if they'd discriminate between a "retirement" extension and an extension based on "marriage" or "business" extensions.  They simply enact what a certain minister alleged suggested, and probably for the same reasons. 

12 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population “are expected” to contract the virus.

The document says that: “As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.”

Prof Chris Whitty's statement condensed into one word: "Panic!"

Personally, I'd rather not.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

When the government knocks on your door and says that they are here to help: Run.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Some people here really have no idea what is shortly about to happen but then if ignorance is bliss carry on we all have to approach this in our own ways. Some of us have been preparing quietly since late January when sadly the writing was on the wall. It would appear the UK Government has been late to the party. Anyway up to you I'm working with family and neighbours to help best we can because more than likely the Government just won't be there when we most need them. We will get through this, some sadly won't and it is pure and simply the war for our generation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

I am in total agreement that we aint seen nothin' yet WRT this pandemic. Anyone taking proactive steps and doing their best at preventative practices and teaming up with the neighbors to look after each other has got their head screwed on.

I wasn't trying to shoot the message as I was the message carrier. The DM is a tawdry, sensationalist tabloid that mostly misinforms. The few gems of sensible advice is buried in the paragraphs and pictures of irrelevant 'facts'. There's a slew of other media choices out there that present the facts and give advice in a much more sensible and straightforward way.

49 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Ah yes, the Good Ol' Dunkirk Spirit and all that!

Hey, did you see what @URMySunshine just said?

16 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

I'm working with family and neighbours to help best we can because more than likely the Government just won't be there when we most need them. We will get through this, some sadly won't and it is pure and simply the war for our generation.

• Like 2