New Africa Twin 1100 price announced

digbeth

A good update to a very good bike BUT I think they priced it too high and as always reduce options in Thailand as much as possible. So now you have the choice between a normal AT with manual transmission and the Adventure Sports with DCT. No normal one with DCT like I have. And no electronic suspension available, why? In Europe I can get the adventure sports with DCT and electronic suspension for less than the adventure sports here without ES.

I paid 580k THB for my AT with DCT and now you have to pay 700k to get the DCT model. Or well, 670k right now on promotion but who is going to order a bike currently with all the lockdowns and economy in freefall?

Also they still make the mistake of selling only the version with 40mm shortened suspension travel / ground clearance / seat height that many people complained about. Why do they never let people make a choice of what they want/need? This way they are guaranteeing that I wont be upgrading my bike anytime soon.

• Like 2

They probably save a few bob taking out heated grips and such for the 'Asian' model too

and most of these bikes are preordered with long wait so I don't see it'll be a problem for them to manage stock, so letting customers option the electronic suspension/normal height seat shouldn't be a big deal

BMW GS being at 900,000 something mean they can get away with what they're charging now, worse if you consider that there's Japan-Thailand FTA that means bikes effectively enjoy no import tax, they'll probably hide behind the new co2 based excise tax

50 minutes ago, digbeth said:

consider that there's Japan-Thailand FTA that means bikes effectively enjoy no import tax, they'll probably hide behind the new co2 based excise tax

Exactly, they have 0% import duty on these bike and the new CO2 based excise tax iirc doesn't really affect the AT or otherwise the manual AT would have gone up in price a lot. So I'm not sure why the AT DCT has to be so much more expensive. The only feature I see that the Adventure Sports has that would cost real money is the DCT. Is there any other difference? Bigger tank and cornering lights shouldn't be costing much. When I bought my AT, the DCT option cost an additional 30k compared to the manual. Where are the other 110k really coming from? Seems to me like Honda Thailand looked at the price of the top model in other countries and adopted it for Thailand but at the same time left out some big features.

Edited by eisfeld

Nice bike, but with an insanely strong Baht, no import tax and a lower spec than elsewhere this is totally overpriced and a ripoff from Honda IMO.

At least it's not restricted like some of their other bikes sold in Thailand.

14 years in Thailand and I've still never bought a new bike from Honda. I would have bought at least 3 by now if they didn't have such a crappy policy towards Thailand. The last 2 bikes I enquired about was a CBR1000RR which they told me was restricted to about 120hp and a CRF250R which they told me I could take delivery about 12 months after ordering. What a waste of time.

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

worse if you consider that there's Japan-Thailand FTA that means bikes effectively enjoy no import tax, they'll probably hide behind the new co2 based excise tax

But somehow they have to get the income tax the customers haven't paid.

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

14 years in Thailand and I've still never bought a new bike from Honda. I would have bought at least 3 by now if they didn't have such a crappy policy towards Thailand. The last 2 bikes I enquired about was a CBR1000RR which they told me was restricted to about 120hp and a CRF250R which they told me I could take delivery about 12 months after ordering. What a waste of time.

Honda Thailand is amazing because they have good bikes and a good dealer network BUT they somehow manage to shoot themselves into their own foot. When I wanted to buy my AT, I had to wait about a year for them to let me order a DCT in red color. They only offered red with the manual transmission. The DCT would be grey. They claimed grey was super popular but all the ads showed the red or white bikes and now they dropped the grey completely because of course noone baught it. It's just so sad. I'd volunteer to run their product strategy for free because I feel sorry for them ????

Every single bike they launch has some annoying thing about it. Hell, even their car business is doing the exactly same.

• Like 1

Correction, the Adventure Sport DCT does have electronic suspension, the spec on Honda's webpage gave the wrong impression with 'hand adjustable' preload knob

Plenty of bikes to go around as it seem it was initially brought in for the now cancelled Motorshow, people are going home with bikes already

Edited by digbeth
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Correction, the Adventure Sport DCT does have electronic suspension, the spec on Honda's webpage gave the wrong impression with 'hand adjustable' preload knob

Ok then the pricing makes a lot more sense but as you said the specs on the Honda page had no word about it and hinted at normal suspension. A lot of data is missing in the specs, doesn't even have the weight.

Edited by eisfeld

No off roading on that bike unless it's to photo pretty flowers.  Suspension too low.  Short suspension on the new AT and if you're over the 75kg mark will make for a nasty ride.  My 2016 suspension wasn't great but it will go further off road than the new one.  I suppose it depends on what you want to do.  The new Triumph off road version is a better choice if you plan to take it off the road.  If it happens, the new 790 Africa Twin. 

• Like 1