Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

1 hour ago, Pib said:

You need to resign yourself that if your filed a joint return with a person who has an ITIN neither of your will get a payment....and "neither" includes the person with the SSN.   There is only one exception and that for a person with SSN in the Armed Service (on active duty) who files jointly with a spouse who has a ITIN.

The exact same thing happened with the 2008 stimulus payments.

Now if you had filed Married Filing Separately you would be getting a stimulus payment.

See my earlier post #508 last time I checked.  If a US taxpayer has previously filed jointly and his wife has an ITIN it should be possible to file for 2020 separately as married.  The restriction given as an answer to Q13 should no longer apply.  The availability of this stimulant payment will be completely dependent on the tax form filed for 2020.  Unfortunately, in a case like this, you won't collect until 2021.

The only relevance to anyone's tax filing for 2018 and/or 2019 is that the government looks at those filings to make an ESTIMATE of the taxpayers upcoming eligibility of the refundable tax credit on his/her 2020 tax filing.  With a favorable estimate the government will then issue an ADVANCE payment of that 2020 tax credit.

Edited by gamb00ler
FOX5DC.COM

An Illinois man is suing President Trump and other Republican officials because he is being denied a stimulus check because he is married to an immigrant without a social security number.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

See my earlier post #508 last time I checked.  If a US taxpayer has previously filed jointly and his wife has an ITIN it should be possible to file for 2020 separately as married.  The restriction given as an answer to Q13 should no longer apply.  The availability of this stimulant payment will be completely dependent on the tax form filed for 2020.  Unfortunately, in a case like this, you won't collect until 2021.

The only relevance to anyone's tax filing for 2018 and/or 2019 is that the government looks at those filings to make an ESTIMATE of the taxpayers upcoming eligibility of the refundable tax credit on his/her 2020 tax filing.  With a favorable estimate the government will then issue an ADVANCE payment of that 2020 tax credit.

It could work out that way by changing filing status for your 2020 return in 2021.  But as for getting a stimulus payment this year based on a mixed joint return (I.e., one spouse with SSN and one with ITIN) neither will get a payment.

Edited by Pib
On 4/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, Pib said:

Just bumping my earlier post....anyone got their IRS 2019 refund OR stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct, repeat, Bangkok Bank?   

Nothing yet.

Been thinking about how they will handle those that don't file returns and are using International Direct Deposits (IDD) for their SSA payments. Same for VA payments. I wonder how they will be done.

I suspect they are still are sorting out how they are going to handle those that did not file returns.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing yet.

Been thinking about how they will handle those that don't file returns and are using International Direct Deposits (IDD) for their SSA payments. Same for VA payments. I wonder how they will be done.

I suspect they are still are sorting out how they are going to handle those that did not file returns.

It would be encouraging if we heard from at least 1 whose has gone through that way!

Nothing yet.

Yeah I am also waiting in the same situation (SS, no tax file, BKK bank DD). I think Wed the 29th (plus maybe 1 day for BBK to process) would start the "worry clock" I think.

Nothing yet.

4 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Yeah I am also waiting in the same situation (SS, no tax file, BKK bank DD). I think Wed the 29th (plus maybe 1 day for BBK to process) would start the "worry clock" I think.

The IRS has always said that you would receive your stimulus payment the same way you get your SS payments each month.

Didn't anybody access the get my payment portal to see if or when the payment would be sent and how it was sent?

Many people have said the portal now shows SS and SSI payments are being made on April 29 and 30 as well as May 1 by direct deposit or mailed checks.

If I had to guess I'd say this is rolling out alphabetically.

A lot of folks I know with surnames starting ABC seemed to get the payment 2 weeks ago, for me with a surname H, I kept getting the 'we cannot determine your eligibility at this time' message until 2 days ago. I think poor Donna at work, with last name Z**** is gonna be waiting a while!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, otherstuff1957 said:

This may have been answered before, but rather than wade through 39 pages I'll ask it again.  I don't have a US bank account, but did file an FBAR when I opened my Thai bank account.  Is there any chance that they will send the check to my Thai account?

Simple answer, NO.

If you have a US bank account you can go on to the website and enter your account details

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Several times for me.

It always shows this.

image.png.27c36c3bb003c2828926754f6e82a8a7.png

Eventually as they get around to you it switches, and you'll be able to enter direct deposit details, then you get this message.

Payment Status

You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************0563

Updates to your payment are made no more than once a day. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, fredwiggy said:

As a very general rule of thumb, if your only income is from Social Security benefits, they won't be taxable, and you don't need to file a return. But if you have income from other sources as well, there may be taxes on the total amount. Supposedly ,most should get it,even the unemployed and retired,who don't file taxes. I guess time will tell. Everyone's affected by this disease,including US citizens living here.

No there was no tax on this payment.

Ours showed up in the bank unannounced April 15th.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

If I had to guess I'd say this is rolling out alphabetically.

A lot of folks I know with surnames starting ABC seemed to get the payment 2 weeks ago, for me with a surname H, I kept getting the 'we cannot determine your eligibility at this time' message until 2 days ago. I think poor Donna at work, with last name Z**** is gonna be waiting a while!

I would think would use the same capability they have for normal SS direct deposit. Everyone gets SS on the 3rd no matter what name their name is.

I still get this on Get My Payment  ..............................According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. .........................and this on IRS site..........................

The IRS will process this information and determine your eligibility for the Economic Impact Payment.

No further action is necessary.

If you haven't already, it's always a good idea to print a copy of your return for your records. Note: If you print your return, you'll see $1 values added to some fields. This is a requirement for the IRS to process your submission. You can ignore these amounts.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes that's all I was getting for several days but there is news that they did a major fix on that so you might want to try today if you haven't already.

Today I got instead -- information doesn't match our records. Which is B.S. maybe related to the foreign address. I tried different versions and then got locked out for 24 hours too many tries. Oh balls. 

Does anyone know if you're supposed to include the dashes in social security numbers or not?

It’s going to take a little time obviously, but meanwhile there’s 40 pages of comments about it here ????. I already received my Trump check over a week ago. 

Edited by zippysteve
  • Like 2

Did again, and again this......................According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time............................3. Payment Status Not Available – We cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. For example, you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return, or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed......................................They have everything they need, I'm eligible (collect SS for myself and my daughter,) and gave them all information. I didn't file for 2018 or 2019, so went to non filers and gave them the basic information they asked for. Guess this is wait longer...................You don't usually file a return, and:

• You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
  • You receive SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return..........................Others have been paid, so they have loaded information into their systems. ........................... If you receive “Payment Status Not Available”, you will not be able to provide direct deposit information at this time.  We’re working on updates to allow more people to use this feature...............................I already entered my direct deposit info when I went to non filers.
Edited by fredwiggy
Addition
  • Haha 1

I finally got acknowledgement for my direct deposit information. What I'd been doing wrong is, after checking the 'yes, I received a refund' button, I provided the amount. But, I had not literally received a refund, since I had allocated it towards next year's taxes. So, this time I put zero as amount of refund. And it finally worked.

So, moral of the story -- if you received a refund, but actually didn't receive a refund, but instead a credit towards next year's taxes, then you really didn't receive a refund, you just think you did. So, don't screw with an agency that's both literal and anal.

Over the weekend, the Treasury Department announced it had made “significant enhancements” to the Get My Payment tool to fix several glitches. For example, many taxpayers complained that it would not allow them to move forward because they neither owed any money to the IRS nor received a refund for 2018 or 2019. Correctly putting in zero didn’t work. This situation might occur because a taxpayer directed the IRS to apply a refund to the following year’s tax bill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/27/more-1200-stimulus-checks-are-way-here-are-key-dates-next-set-payments/

• Haha 1

According to Forbes, if you will receive a check (not direct deposit), here is the planned weekly schedule for the IRS to mail stimulus checks based on annual adjusted gross income (you can find that figure on line 8b of the 2019 1040 federal tax form). All dates represent the “week ending” (for example, the week ending April 24) and the IRS could change this schedule at any time.

• Less than $10,000: April 24
  • $10,001 - $20,000: May 1
  • $20,001 - $30,000: May 8
  • $30,001 - $40,000: May 15
  • $40,001 - $50,000: May 22
  • $50,001 - $60,000: May 29
  • $60,001 - $70,000: June 5
  • $70,001 - $80,000: June 12
  • $80,001 - $90,000: June 19
  • $90,001 - $100,000: June 26
  • $100,001 - $110,000: July 3
  • $110,001 - $120,000: July 10
  • $120,001 - $130,000: July 17
  • $130,001- $140,000: July 24
  • $140,001 - $150,000: July 31
  • $150,001 - $160,000: August 7
  • $160,001 - $170,000: August 14
  • $170,001 - $180,000: August 21
  • $180,001 - $190,000: August 28
  • $190,001 - $198,000: September 4
  • Remaining checks: September 11

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2020/04/21/stimulus-checks-schedule/#575ecf737b84

We got our Trump Bucks April 15th ($2400) by direct deposit related to info on 2018 tax return. My SS payment goes to Kasikorn bank via IDD, my wife's goes to US bank. I wondered if they would use IRS info or SS info. The answer is they use IRS info. I haven't received a rebate from Fed tax for years, but I did get a small California rebate last year because I filed as a non-resident. 

We don't need it now so it can site in the account for now, but it's still sweet.

• Like 1

Either in this thread or another I some posts wondering if those people who receive their monthly SSA payment on the Direct Express debit wondering if their stimulus payment would also be deposited to their Direct Express acct.  Apparently not according to below IRS info which means unless providing bank acct info for direct deposit then a snail mail check will be sent.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/va-ssi-recipients-with-eligible-children-need-to-act-by-may-5-to-quickly-add-money-to-their-automatic-economic-impact-payment-plus-500-push-continues

Note - Direct Express Account Holders: You may use the Non-Filers tool, but you cannot receive your and your children’s payment on your Direct Express account. You may only select a bank account for direct deposit or leave bank information blank and receive the money by mail.

When we did not receive out checks in the first butch of deposits, I had my accountant check our direct deposit info with the IRS, he discovers an error and  submitted the correct numbers.  

Just received a notice from the IRS that the checks will be deposited in our account April 30th.

So for those who recently updated their direct deposit info, you might be getting good news soon.

Check at  https://sa.www4.irs.gov/wmar/login