Anyone have experience trading in used cars at the dealership for a new car? (Toyota)

Earlier this year I wanted to buy the new Avanza, as my wife cannot drive my truck's manual gears. I settled on the car, ready to go and Toyota Sure next door came in and wanted to give me 385k, 1k more than what I owed after paying 44 months. 

I walked away. They lost a sale and a great truck for a 2016 model with 25k mileage. I asked 500k or thereabouts for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Earlier this year I wanted to buy the new Avanza, as my wife cannot drive my truck's manual gears. I settled on the car, ready to go and Toyota Sure next door came in and wanted to give me 385k, 1k more than what I owed after paying 44 months. 

I walked away. They lost a sale and a great truck for a 2016 model with 25k mileage. I asked 500k or thereabouts for it.

Avanza is a re badged job i was told.Not a real Toyo.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, seajae said:

when we got our new nissan 2 years ago we traded in the vios(4 years old), the car dealer they used told us that because it was a manual it would be harder to sell as thais like automatics so price was not as good as what I wanted. Nissan offered us extras to make it up though so we eventually agreed and handed over the keys, signed the contract  and got our new keys, thing is there was a young couple also in the show room and they then handed the dealer a wad of cash and he gave them our keys, he had already sold the vios to them so had blatantly lied to us about the reason to keep the price low, was not impressed, just beware that they may try to rip you off with the price they offer.

I cant believe a car salesman would lie to his customers  :shock1:

• Haha 1

Yep you're right there, the Avanza is a hotch-potch of Diahatsu and Proton/Peruda. Built in Indonesia and Malaysia.  Can't think for the life of me why Toyota would risk their reputation on such a project.  

Maybe the Hallal buyer 555 

We had a 16 year old Toyota Vios. The Toyota salesgirl had 'a guy' that would take it off our hands for 100k sight-unseen. We agreed so the 'guy' came the following day, looked at the Vios and did the bank transfer on the spot.

The day after we went and picked up our new Toyota CHR Hybrid. Easiest 'trade-in' ever.

• Like 1

Manual transmissions are cheaper than automatics so when you traded it naturally get less money the dealer didn’t lie to you The best time to make a good deal on a new vehicle is near the end of the month because they are trying to hit their quota where do you go in on the first of the month they have a whole month they hit their quota I’ve been in the car business most of my life and that’s the way it works most people don’t realize if they sell a certain amount of new cars they to get cash back from the manufacture

On 4/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, seajae said:

when we got our new nissan 2 years ago we traded in the vios(4 years old), the car dealer they used told us that because it was a manual it would be harder to sell as thais like automatics so price was not as good as what I wanted. Nissan offered us extras to make it up though so we eventually agreed and handed over the keys, signed the contract  and got our new keys, thing is there was a young couple also in the show room and they then handed the dealer a wad of cash and he gave them our keys, he had already sold the vios to them so had blatantly lied to us about the reason to keep the price low, was not impressed, just beware that they may try to rip you off with the price they offer.

Sounds like a used car dealer!

On 4/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, 19DL86 said:

Yep you're right there, the Avanza is a hotch-potch of Diahatsu and Proton/Peruda. Built in Indonesia and Malaysia.  Can't think for the life of me why Toyota would risk their reputation on such a project.  

Maybe the Hallal buyer 555 

If you have not had one I suggest you shut up (your face if you are an Italian aussie). Had one for 5 years as a workhorse for the market garden, 7 seats for taking the old ladies to the burnings. Not flash but very practical.

Just did this last September. Had a 2004 Toyota Hilux Vigo.  We were buying a new truck and asked about a trade in. They gave us a price for our truck but the sales lady said to take it to Toyota  Sure. Did that and got a lot more money then the dealer offered. Simple procedure.

Go to a few dealers and ask them the Wholesale price depending on the model the price the quote you will be close to the price the dealer can profit from. Then place your own ad and sell it yourself at a price it will sell. The higher you set the price the longer it will take to sell - "Up to you" as the Thai saying goes.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:14 AM, pineapple01 said:

Not many folks want to drive same thing for 15 years,unless they not really a Car Person or no disposable money

Everyone is different, my 17 year old Toyota is like a part of me and my family and better than a friend, It's never let me down, I feel at home in it, it is comfortable and I am sure after all the years the seats are contoured to perfection. It's taken me all over Thailand, its been my mobile office, it's carted so much stuff, for the last 12 years I keep thinking I should upgrade, but I can't bring myself to do it.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:16 AM, pineapple01 said:

Avanza is a re badged job i was told.Not a real Toyo.

Yes it is a Daihatsu, but, for Toyota to use it points to it being an OK ride, same as Mercedes using a Nissan truck I suppose..

I asked at Sure in Phuket when selling a Toyota Fortuner, he offered me B100,000 less than what I sold it for just advertising on the car window a week later, very popular car, at least 5 years ago. As a sweetner the salesman, speaking Thai, offered my wife B5000  if she convinced me to take his offer. Like most secondhand car dealers in the world wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Wait till the current crisis resolves, if you can wait that long.

I traded in my Isuzu truck at a Ford dealership, they phoned around and a few second hand dealers came round and made offers on my Isuzu, eventually I was offered a fair price. I could keep the Isuzu until the new Ford Ranger was ready for me to pick up. The dealership also arranged finance through tisco bank for me with the Ford and the finance in my name only.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rawairat said:

I asked at Sure in Phuket when selling a Toyota Fortuner, he offered me B100,000 less than what I sold it for just advertising on the car window a week later, very popular car, at least 5 years ago. As a sweetner the salesman, speaking Thai, offered my wife B5000  if she convinced me to take his offer. Like most secondhand car dealers in the world wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Wait till the current crisis resolves, if you can wait that long.

They offered me 300,000bht for my old Vigo, so I advertised it here and there for 390k, sold it for 370,000bht, money was in my bank within 30 minutes.....????