3BB Have upgraded my package again from 400/400 to 1000/500 free

Mutt Daeng

5 hours ago, VYCM said:

So you had a gigabyte network and they replaced your router. 

Can you send a photo of the new router and old if you have. 

Yes everything was rated Gigabit.

I don't have a photo of my old router but I have attached a stock photo (1). It was Echolife HG8045H. The new router is Echolife HG8145V, photo (2) attached.

Old:

HG8045H - OLd.jpg

New:

HG8145V - new Router.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes everything was rated Gigabit.

I don't have a photo of my old router but I have attached a stock photo (1). It was Echolife HG8045H. The new router is Echolife HG8145V, photo (2) attached.

Old:

HG8045H - OLd.jpg

New:

HG8145V - new Router.jpg

That are Huawei routers.

I had the head of technical department here again today for my ongoing issues, and he told me that those that are on a Huawei network need their routers changed.

3BB uses 2 network brands in different parts of the country, being FibreHome and Huawei, and they are not compatible with each other. He said that people on the Huawei network have no problems, but I'm on the FiberHome

He told me that new Gigabit routers for the FiberHome are on their way, but it could take 1 or 2 months before they are available., so not sure what to believe from that

The reason I had them here again is because I started testing on 5Ghz wifi now, because Muratremix claims that my issues are with my browser or PC  that can't handle 1 Gb speeds, so I should have no problems with 400 Mbps isn't it?

I don't have a PC with wifi, but I have a Android phone and multiple Android boxes that all have 802.11 AC 5Ghz wifi.

All devices would show speeds between 130 Mbps and 210 Mbps, using the Speedtest Android app. They would show half of that using the 3BB website or speedtest.net browser test.

So now browsers can't handle 400 Mbps anymore.

Technician showed up with his windows PC, and right next to the router his " Magical" Windows speed test app would show first test at 200 Mbps and next one at 390 Mbps. Future tests were in the high 300 range.

On the 3bb website, or with the speedtest.net browser test, he would also get 300 Mbps maximum.

When moving to the adjoining room even his magical app would get only 300 Maximum.

Of course no explanation given other than some lame excuses.

Now here is the funny thing.

As you know I struggle since the beginning with only 10 Mbps to London using testmy.net and LAN cable.

So I showed him that again on one of the Android boxes.

We then enabled 5Ghz wifi and I would get 37,7 Mbps right away, and repeated test would give that number as a constant result.

Next we enabled 2.4 Ghz wifi, and again would get a constant 37 Mbps download and 14 Mbps upload. Several retests would always show a number not more than 2 Mbps different.

Connected LAN and again would get 10 Mbps download and 14 Mbps upload.

No it isn't my LAN cable, connected straight to the Gigabit port of the router, as I have 2 dozen of cables here to switch as often as I want.

So how do you explain that my wireless download speed is almost 4 times the speed on the same device hardwired?

Edited by Susco

On 4/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, Pib said:

When you were in the UK the distance to the TV server was much, much closer which means your latency/ping time was much

I (sincerely) appreciate your reply - much of it goes straight over my head. I neither know much about 'Tech' nor do I really want to. I just want to Wash & Go.

If I tell you what I want to do, maybe you could just tell me if that's possible and in simple terms (because I'm simple) - how it can be done.

I have an Android box which works fairly well, I can access a lot of English language TV and movies on that - including BBC news.  It does have some Sky channels on it but I'm an F1 nut and at the moment the F1 feed is in Italian.  I use Sky Go (obviously through a VPN) to access Sky Sport to watch the live races (when they resume).

I do sometimes get a very small amount of buffering on the Android box but its rare - the main problem is when I use Sky Go.

Sky Go is installed on my laptop which and I HDMI the feed to my TV.

From what you say, even if I uprgade to a higher download package with 3BB I still won't stop the buffering because of the connection speed to the UK server - am I understanding correctly?

Any simple and cheap way to improve things?

FYI Susco

My router/gpon is Fiberhome, not Huawei. Stop blaming irrelevant things for why you can't get 1gbps speed with a browser.

You tested with Speedtest-cli app, you got 940 Mbps yet you're still complaining. You didn't think you'll get 940 mbps in a single connection did you? 

Here is testmy.net UK server via Wifi 5ghz

200019913_ScreenShot2020-04-23at07_56_12.thumb.png.c142cd917a33b234c4df937d7a7f4c6c.png

It says 50Mbps but it is wrong because of TCP slowstart. My speed reached to 80+ Mbps and stabilized there. 

Just for info: 2 speedtests done on a Minix Android box connected by 5G Wifi. Box is 3-4 metres from the router.

My house to 3BB server @Nakhon Ratchasima

Speedtest to Nakhon Ratchasima.png

My house to Vodafone UK.

Speedtest To London on 5G Wifi.png

Edited by Mutt Daeng

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I (sincerely) appreciate your reply - much of it goes straight over my head. I neither know much about 'Tech' nor do I really want to. I just want to Wash & Go.

If I tell you what I want to do, maybe you could just tell me if that's possible and in simple terms (because I'm simple) - how it can be done.

I have an Android box which works fairly well, I can access a lot of English language TV and movies on that - including BBC news.  It does have some Sky channels on it but I'm an F1 nut and at the moment the F1 feed is in Italian.  I use Sky Go (obviously through a VPN) to access Sky Sport to watch the live races (when they resume).

I do sometimes get a very small amount of buffering on the Android box but its rare - the main problem is when I use Sky Go.

Sky Go is installed on my laptop which and I HDMI the feed to my TV.

From what you say, even if I uprgade to a higher download package with 3BB I still won't stop the buffering because of the connection speed to the UK server - am I understanding correctly?

Any simple and cheap way to improve things?

What VPN service provider do you use?  What kind of VPN speeds are you getting?

If your VPN app allows connection to different cities within a country vs just a the country level, try picking a different city as the VPN server for that location may give higher speed.       

Also, if your VPN allow allows you to select different VPN protocols such as OpenVPN UDP, OpenVPN TCP, IKEV2, etc., try each of those protocols.  You may find one if much faster than the others.   IKEV2 is typically the fastest.....then OpenVPN UDP but with UDP you can lose data packets causing problems.....then OpenVPN TCP which includes very good data loss protection but is typically slower than UDP.

I just tested and it seems I got upgraded too but to a different package - seems like 1000/500

at first, I used to have like 100/30 (can't remember to be honest). then they upgraded me for free to 400/400 and now 1000/500!

let me tell you, I have had internet nonstop practically from 1995 or so and I have never been upgraded ONCE like this back in Canada.

always had to call, get new contracts and/or pay more money

I am on one of those Huawei routers, HG8145V is the model if anyone is curious and I get the following speeds:

image.png.073813f50cbbb09dc01f492bfc8d72fc.png

anyways, I was shopping to get my own account because this one was setup under my ex GFs name.

3BB wanted one year payment and I didn't have the cash on me at the time

this was the package I was looking to get for myself:

http://www.3bb.co.th/3BBxdtac/

was looking at it because it included a 10 GB per month DTAC along with the 1000/300 internet (now a downgrade) for 690 baht

I already pay that just for internet and 350 baht for 6 GB of DTAC, so it was worth it.

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

FYI Susco

My router/gpon is Fiberhome, not Huawei. Stop blaming irrelevant things for why you can't get 1gbps speed with a browser.

You tested with Speedtest-cli app, you got 940 Mbps yet you're still complaining. You didn't think you'll get 940 mbps in a single connection did you? 

200019913_ScreenShot2020-04-23at07_56_12.thumb.png.c142cd917a33b234c4df937d7a7f4c6c.png

It says 50Mbps but it is wrong because of TCP slowstart. My speed reached to 80+ Mbps and stabilized there. 

Just as crossfeed...here's mine to to London at 10:45am Thailand time...I'm on an AIS 700/50 plan

image.png.fab89addc3b7d6b853bef4a1f53277ab.png

I would generally agree all the talk about the ISP's router being the problem when it comes to an "ethernet" connection is probably faulty logic in the great majority of cases.  Repeat, I'm just talking an ethernet connection; not a Wifi connection where so many speed impacting problems can arise regardless of router make.  I mean just to say if you have a Huawei router you are likely to have speed problems....if you have a FiberHome router you are likely to have problems...etc.  

Seems a lot of hate has been thrown a Huawei routers but my AIS-provided router which is around 5 years old is a Huawei HG8245H....only has 2.4Ghz Wifi which I don't even use as I have it set to bridge mode feeding my Asus personal router.   But as I've posted in this and other threads with that Hauwei router I can get a  940Mb ethernet connection when I take one of those free one day upgrades to 1Gb speed. 

Whenever I see an ISP blaming one router make and saying a new incoming make should fix the problem I figure the ISP is just trying to stall in getting the real problem fix, not willing to admit what the real problem is, simply can't find the problem, it's an ISP server problem, the fiber line feeding your residence, it's really the customer's equipment/setup, etc. 

Edited by Pib

14 hours ago, Susco said:

That are Huawei routers.

I had the head of technical department here again today for my ongoing issues, and he told me that those that are on a Huawei network need their routers changed.

3BB uses 2 network brands in different parts of the country, being FibreHome and Huawei, and they are not compatible with each other. He said that people on the Huawei network have no problems, but I'm on the FiberHome

He told me that new Gigabit routers for the FiberHome are on their way, but it could take 1 or 2 months before they are available., so not sure what to believe from that

The reason I had them here again is because I started testing on 5Ghz wifi now, because Muratremix claims that my issues are with my browser or PC  that can't handle 1 Gb speeds, so I should have no problems with 400 Mbps isn't it?

I don't have a PC with wifi, but I have a Android phone and multiple Android boxes that all have 802.11 AC 5Ghz wifi.

All devices would show speeds between 130 Mbps and 210 Mbps, using the Speedtest Android app. They would show half of that using the 3BB website or speedtest.net browser test.

So now browsers can't handle 400 Mbps anymore.

Technician showed up with his windows PC, and right next to the router his " Magical" Windows speed test app would show first test at 200 Mbps and next one at 390 Mbps. Future tests were in the high 300 range.

On the 3bb website, or with the speedtest.net browser test, he would also get 300 Mbps maximum.

When moving to the adjoining room even his magical app would get only 300 Maximum.

Of course no explanation given other than some lame excuses.

Now here is the funny thing.

As you know I struggle since the beginning with only 10 Mbps to London using testmy.net and LAN cable.

So I showed him that again on one of the Android boxes.

We then enabled 5Ghz wifi and I would get 37,7 Mbps right away, and repeated test would give that number as a constant result.

Next we enabled 2.4 Ghz wifi, and again would get a constant 37 Mbps download and 14 Mbps upload. Several retests would always show a number not more than 2 Mbps different.

Connected LAN and again would get 10 Mbps download and 14 Mbps upload.

No it isn't my LAN cable, connected straight to the Gigabit port of the router, as I have 2 dozen of cables here to switch as often as I want.

So how do you explain that my wireless download speed is almost 4 times the speed on the same device hardwired?

Maybe the router is under performing.

Get yourself a decent router, RT-AC86U is recommended by many and try that.

U winge about your 950Mbps speeds within TH, and thats meaningless. U want a reasonably efficient and stable connection to the international backbone(s) for obvious reasons.

My ISP pkg is fiber 300/100 and I easily achieve 400Mbps to US and EU servers with Wireguard, IKEv2 and up to 300Mbps on OpenVPN and I certainly don't have a 1000Mbps pkg or piece of crud 3BB router but I can stream ANYTHING from ANYWHERE @ ANYTIME with my 300/100 pkg., a top rated vpn and router set-up. Thats what u need to focus on, not how fast your gigabit connection is to some server in Nakhon wherever.

4 hours ago, muratremix said:

FYI Susco

FYI information Muratremix, I'm no longer interested in your ignorant drivel.

You are the first poster ever to have made it to my ignore list, and that's an achievement

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

FYI information Muratremix, I'm no longer interested in your ignorant drivel.

You are the first poster ever to have made it to my ignore list, and that's an achievement

Just try this great VPN service, costs only $2 for 7 day trial and u can try Wireguard, IKEv2 and OpenVPN and compare speeds to servers all over the globe.

https://vpn.ac/cart.php?a=view

And while you're at it, get one of these. It will take your network performance to the next level, ESPECIALLY for vpn cipher mgmt.

https://invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/rt-ac86u-aimesh-dual-band-wireless-router-ac2900-p031839/

Edited by i84teen

10 minutes ago, i84teen said:

U winge about your 950Mbps speeds within TH, and thats meaningless.

I don't wing about 950 Mbps, because i don't get it on 99% of the speed tests. I only get it on 1 "magical" app that 3BB want to enforce now for some reason.

I don't get it on their own 3BB website either, however it was perfectly possible before they lowered the price, on the same device and using same browser and website.

14 minutes ago, i84teen said:

U want a reasonably efficient and stable connection to the international backbone(s) for obvious reasons.

I don't get that either, but an ISP is not bound to guarantee international speeds, so my only resort is to prove that there is a problem with the network.

I have had the engineers from 3BB and Fiberhome here for extended periods, and they ACKNOWLEDGE that there is a problem, but they also ADMIT that they don't know where the problem is and how to fix it.

17 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Get yourself a decent router, RT-AC86U is recommended by many and try that.

I doubt the problem is with the router, but anyway, it's the ISP's responsibility to provide the equipment sufficient for the speeds they have to guarantee

12 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Just try this great VPN service, costs only $2 for 7 day trial and u can try Wireguard, IKEv2 and OpenVPN and compare speeds to servers all over the globe.

https://vpn.ac/cart.php?a=view

And while you're at it, get one of these. It will take your network performance to the next level, ESPECIALLY for vpn cipher mgmt.

https://invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/rt-ac86u-aimesh-dual-band-wireless-router-ac2900-p031839/

I do have a paid vpn service, and when enabling SG server my speeds to UK will multiply.

My point is that I should get the same as others without having to enable vpn's and buying extra equipment.

I pay the same as everyone else, so i should be entitled to the same kind of service, and I can clearly see from posts in this and other threads what others get

Edited by Susco

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Seems a lot of hate has been thrown a Huawei routers but my AIS-provided router which is around 5 years old is a Huawei HG8245H

I have never shown any hate against Huawei routers, I just posted the contrary higher up in this thread, and the 3BB technician also admit that their performance with Huawei routers is better than with the FiberHome.

Unfortunately, you can't use a Huawei router on a FiberHome network

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

I don't wing about 950 Mbps, because i don't get it on 99% of the speed tests. I only get it on 1 "magical" app that 3BB want to enforce now for some reason.

I don't get it on their own 3BB website either, however it was perfectly possible before they lowered the price, on the same device and using same browser and website.

I don't get that either, but an ISP is not bound to guarantee international speeds, so my only resort is to prove that there is a problem with the network.

I have had the engineers from 3BB and Fiberhome here for extended periods, and they ACKNOWLEDGE that there is a problem, but they also ADMIT that they don't know where the problem is and how to fix it.

I doubt the problem is with the router, but anyway, it's the ISP's responsibility to provide the equipment sufficient for the speeds they have to guarantee

You act like you are in the west, this is Thailand dude! NOTHING is as it should be.

You have an issue with your stated speeds, switch to ToT, TRUE, etc but for crying out loud quit with this deluded sense of entitlement. I avoid 3BB for good reason, so should you. Or, listen to the many recommendations here, failing which you can dwell on trivial and childish rhetoric and make yourself more crazy each day.

Lol...."up to you mister".

1 minute ago, i84teen said:

You have an issue with your stated speeds, switch to ToT, TRUE, etc but for crying out loud quit with this deluded sense of entitlement.

None of other providers are avail;able in my area.

True has a service here, but their distribution panel is full.

Which part of "I have had the engineers from 3BB and Fiberhome here for extended periods, and they ACKNOWLEDGE that there is a problem, but they also ADMIT that they don't know where the problem is and how to fix it. ", is it that you didn't understand?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have never shown any hate against Huawei routers, I just posted the contrary higher up in this thread, and the 3BB technician also admit that their performance with Huawei routers is better than with the FiberHome.

Unfortunately, you can't use a Huawei router on a FiberHome network

I use this (includes 10GB of LTE data) and it absolutely rocks! And, True came to my baan to change me to the new "gigabit" router, which CANNOT support bridge mode and I turfed it and stayed with the old, outdated ZTE PON and my own asus router in bridge mode. All this and my speeds are exceptional to all corners of the globe.

Post a speed of your conection to a US server using your paid vpn, I am itchin to see it!

SCR 2020-04-23 at 12.30.26 PM.jpg

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

None of other providers are avail;able in my area.

True has a service here, but their distribution panel is full.

Which part of "I have had the engineers from 3BB and Fiberhome here for extended periods, and they ACKNOWLEDGE that there is a problem, but they also ADMIT that they don't know where the problem is and how to fix it. ", is it that you didn't understand?

i don't understand you and why u complain and moan about something you cannot have!

If gigabit is your top priority and 3BB cannot help you and there are no alternate services available, u need to move!

Oh yeah, what vpn do u use?

Edited by i84teen
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem, that the speed was just 500 Mbs and not 1Gbs. 

Perfect service from 3BB. They came the next day trying to fix my Internet. On their notebook the speed was fine, but they could not solve the speed problem on my pc.

Afterwards i was able to figure out the problem myself. It turns out that it was my pc`s fault. I had an adblocker installed which affected the speed. After deactivating it, the speed worked fine. Just for information one possibility what could be the cause.

Edited by dtpman83

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet just 700 metres from the 3BB node and they cannot install a fibre optic cable because they say 500 metres is the maximum distance for a fibre link. Their node doesn't even have a UPS so every time their is a power outage of more than 15 seconds the node dies and it takes about 5 minutes to reset. The only people at 3BB of any use are the call centre as the "local" office in KPP has moved and disappeared somewhere.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:40 PM, billd766 said:

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet just 700 metres from the 3BB node and they cannot install a fibre optic cable because they say 500 metres is the maximum distance for a fibre link. Their node doesn't even have a UPS so every time their is a power outage of more than 15 seconds the node dies and it takes about 5 minutes to reset. The only people at 3BB of any use are the call centre as the "local" office in KPP has moved and disappeared somewhere.

If you pay extra for the remaining 200 meters, they can install fiber for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

If you pay extra for the remaining 200 meters, they can install fiber for you. 

I talked to them about that and they still won't do it. They were supposed to do it in July 2019 but they said wait, so I did and over a year later, they still are not interested.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I talked to them about that and they still won't do it. They were supposed to do it in July 2019 but they said wait, so I did and over a year later, they still are not interested.

Offer them to pay for the whole 700 meters and see if they budge then

• Like 1

Oddly enough thi afternoon my internet connection went flaky. I could get Google mostly but half the url would fail as timed out, or I could get into a site initially but not get a lot of the pages inside.

I powered the router down, removed all the cables, refitted them and powered it up again but no change.

My pc has been running since 6 am with no problems until about 5 pm whch was when the internet prioblemd started. I rang their call centre and explained the problem and he wanted me to do a speed test. I explained that the speed wasn't the problem but site access was.

I could get nothing on MS Edge and limited access on Google Chrome. They have promised to send a techie out tomorrow to look at the system.

In the end I shut the pc down completely and powered it up from the start. Now most of the links have come back and the call centre said the techie will visit tomorrow (?). I will tackle him tomorrow about a fibre optic link.