Life in America Sucks

Oh my, an America-bashing thread. Am I on Reddit? Aren't you all typing your responses on an iPhone, Android, or PC/Mac?

But I should probably consult Reddit, those probably weren't invented in the good ol U.S.A.

19 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Your experience does not seem to square with the millions of legal and illegal immigrants looking for opportunities unavailable in their home countries.

You come to America looking for a handout?  Hard work, perseverance and a good work ethic are still in vogue in the US...

I transferred to work in my US employer's head office and found the 10 days paid vacation/year a tad disappointing. Then they worked out that as a 'new-hire' in the US, they could include my international employment and give me 15 days. After working with HR and managing to wrestle my previous employment with a company that my employer had subsequently bought, I got the magical 4-weeks... or 20-days annual paid vacation that only senior staff qualified for.

Then, after 3 years, I quit.

• Like 2

America is a wonderful country. The beaches of Hawaii and the Virgin Islands, skiing in Aspen, Colorado, mountains,  great cities like Chicago or New York with amazing shopping, the gambling of Las Vegas, Alaskan wildlife.

The people are quite friendly, the food is good.

But unfortunately among those people seems to be a fairly large contingent of crazies. And very poor and criminals. The US has the highest prison popn in the world. Also the most geniuses in the world, true.

Culturally I think Europe and Asia are superior or more interesting.

Light switches, washing machines, appliances, cars, all usually worse in the US. 

Great music and films though. It's not all bad.

But yah, you need money to really enjoy America. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

It's a land of opportunity, where "B" grade actors, peanut farmers, draft dodging Texans, dodgy land developers can reach the dizzying heights of POTUS!

How is that different from any other country? All leaders are incompetent, not because incompetent people can become POTUS but because an elite allows and funds that. I personally think that Trump is a very good reflection of the average American, no offence intended (but it will be lol).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Retarded said:

I recommend Namibia or Swaziland. 

That is just some hype talkers because they have the fastest growing GDP lol.
Honestly do not get the OP his point unless he want to claim you have more chances if born in a poor country like Thailand, you would be stuck on a 10K job basically.

USA even offers easy credit for Americans and businesses that many other countries do not offer. Even in Europe we can only dream of that.
Actually the fact that so many people have money problems in the USA, is the greatest gift for doing business. Most millionaires were made during the great depression. 

I would not even know where to start if getting a green card but I do know of my American friends that I'd retire as a millionaire if not messing up myself.
401K, house value, cash savings. Most people hope to earn just 30-50K usd over a lifetime, specially in countries like TH. That's how easy it is for us.

I mean, if one just really wants, work a year in San Fransisco and stay in the crappiest studio room + eat cheap meals and you have at least 40K after 1 year.
Just a year of suffering to basically have enough to meet visa requirements or buy a cheap house or condo here for a lifetime.
Hell, even just 12K savings a year would be amazing already.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please tell that to the millions wanting in the US, I wonder why they want in so badly hmmmm?

Its called marketing. The US markets itself well. In my view most wanting to go live there are from third world countries. People from scandinavia and oz not so much.

Most people i know that visited thought it was ok. Most people i know that tried to live there didnt like it at all and left.

personally i have only been there once. I visited for 5 weeks work, but not work for a US company, im self employed. California, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan. I wanted out after 2 weeks. The people were nice, sometimes too nice, fake. But i just didnt like the place.

I wasnt looking to stay there fulltime, it was only a hit and run job but was offered a fulltime job which whilst attractive on its face i rejected. I would have accepted the same job if n asia or many other parts of the world but the US just isnt for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

It's a land of opportunity, where "B" grade actors, peanut farmers, draft dodging Texans, dodgy land developers can reach the dizzying heights of POTUS!

In the UK only Rich or Malcontents get Elected. They are Fun to Follow.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Was invented in the good ol U.S.A. and made affordable by the beloved Chinese ????

Made affordable by mass-production technology - not China.  But much still over-priced, by companies like Apple, who use the cheapest labor they can, to spite the labor-cost in the retail price being trivial.

12 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I know a Columbian guy who came to America. Joined the army. Came out of the army into a windows business. Learned the trade, then started his own windows business. Exported from Florida to the Caribbean and became a multi-millionaire. He lives in  million dollar mansion in the Caymans. He had nothing, but by his own brains became a millionaire. 

Of course the exception, not the rule. But it's clearly possible.

Sure, but I don't think anecdotal examples really mean very much when looking at the big picture.

BTW -- was he from Washington D.C., the District of Colombia? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure, but I don't think anecdotal examples really mean very much when looking at the big picture.

BTW -- was he from Washington D.C., the District of Colombia? 

Well, looks like the picture aligns with my anecdotal evidence:

Nearly 68% of the world’s richest people are ‘self-made,’ says new report

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/majority-of-the-worlds-richest-people-are-self-made-says-new-report.html

Since most of the richest people in the world reside in the US looks like most of them are "self-made".

From Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg to Jeff Bezos, they're all self-made, aren't they?

So big picture confirming small picture.

He was from Cartagena Colombia, sharp as razor, former Marine, but came out of the army with nothing. Started a window business and became a millionaire. Selling freakin' windows. When you meet the guy you understand why. Some people have "it". Other's don't.

Of course it's hard to be successful, but it would seem it's easier in the US. If you're a start-up where would you rather be, Silicone Valley with all the available funding or Isaan?

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Well, looks like the picture aligns with my anecdotal evidence:

Nearly 68% of the world’s richest people are ‘self-made,’ says new report

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/majority-of-the-worlds-richest-people-are-self-made-says-new-report.html

Since most of the richest people in the world reside in the US looks like most of them are "self-made".

From Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg to Jeff Bezos, they're all self-made, aren't they?

So big picture confirming small picture.

He was from Cartagena Colombia, sharp as razor, former Marine, but came out of the army with nothing. Started a window business and became a millionaire. Selling freakin' windows. When you meet the guy you understand why. Some people have "it". Other's don't.

Of course it's hard to be successful, but it would seem it's easier in the US. If you're a start-up where would you rather be, Silicone Valley with all the available funding or Isaan?

My point was about relative social mobility in different countries in a general way. Not spectacular individual examples. For example the chances of someone born into a lower class family becoming upper middle class in adulthood. The U.S. is not the leader in this. A number of other countries are better for that.