Thai woman conned out of thousands by "American" - he promised marriage and diamonds, she lost everything

webfact

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One day I like to get some lessons from one of those scammer how to make a woman fall in love with me and spend lots of money in that process. These guys must have real talent.

I'm going to guess that a photo that is not you is a good place to start  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Channel 7 reported on the case of a 33 year old woman who thought she had found love with an American on Instagram. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that for years mostly Africans - and especially Nigerians - have been operating this scam in Thailand. 

did the channel 7 report include some version of the final sentence from thaivisa, or were their readers left with the impression that an american had scammed the good lady?

• Like 1

Another appropriately thrilling topic du jour freshly scraped from the bottom of the news barrel for the covidly bored at home. Sex, greed, gender war, culture shock, black market trafficking and more. Much better than any Netflix/HBO freebie offerings at the moment.

I am in a contact with a gifl from nigeria. She said she is from america and dtyck in nigeria coz of virus. She contacted me on insta. She fell in love with me. She is ready to marry. ????????. And next day she asked for money. I know she is some fake person. I m just passing time during this virus period. This is totally insane. 

1 hour ago, garrya said:

These conmen are usually Thai women paired up with farang counterparts.

So a Thai woman conned another Thai. Lol

For your sake, I hope this is sarcasm.

hint: "usually... paired up with farang", ahhhh, no. This is clearly a Nigerian operation to anyone paying attention for the past 15+ years...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And how can it be known he was actually an American, No actual phone calls, never hearing the voice, fake photos and such probably, Maybe it was the supposed other female who was working in conjunction with the Nigerians in their romance scams.  It is not newsworthy as other than the woman loosing money, as the rest of the story is unknown.... 

I guess he told her, in their on=line chats that he was American, but of course he could have been telling lies. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

soon chatting and falling in love

2 hours ago, webfact said:

$400,000 and would send it to her along with a bunch of diamonds

Ah, love. Isn't it wonderful?

I don't know, I somehow am unable to feel much sympathy for her and her like-minded ilk of gold diggers.

The SOLE underlying motive that prompted her to risk her money was - as always - sheer greed and the prospect of striking it rich in an instant. Not "love" in the conventional sense.

And had her beau turned out to be genuine, she, her whole family (and probably her Thai husband, too) would've had absolutely no scruples squeezing him dry for everything he was worth. Without any second thought, without any hesitation.

Had she not succumbed to her own greed and had not already envisioned herself in the role of "grand madame" she wouldn't find herself in the position of the "poor victim" now.

Soo... a tear of sympathy from me? I think not, thank you very much.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

She should have told him: I love you and I don't care about money or diamonds.

Come to Thailand and visit me.

Or is it possible that money was more important to her than the love of her life?

Cynic!

I sounds like a lovely love story.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

She missed the memo that it's meant to work the other way around, take the money from the falang

No mention of his sick parents and buffalo, therefore it must be fake news. 

2 hours ago, varun said:

For every opportunistic Thai ripping off a foreigner,

there will be an equally opportunistic 419 scammer ripping off a greedy Thai - what goes around, comes around.

Westerners are the victim of the same Nigerian scam. What a unbelievable shortsighted reply of you. 

• Like 2

She tried to sell him “love” for 400 k dollars and had just to pay 200 k baht to guarantee the deal. Why do these brainless greedy chicks think they are smarter than old and wealthy foreigners? There must be some reasons for that.

Edited by Zikomat

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

For me, the strangest part of this is not the scam itself. It is the willingness to allow yourself to "fall in love" with someone you have never even met. Who does this? Why? How? What level of emotional desperation is required to stoop to this level? How poor must one's self esteem be to fall for someone you have never met? What about chemistry? Quirks? Background? Family?

The women who fall for this are NEVER attractive young hotties.  They're always older, lonely women, which works out well for the scammer because these women usually have some money.  But it requires a high level of stupidity AND greed to fall for such a scam.  Hard to have any sympathy for anyone falling for such a scam.

24 minutes ago, The Word said:

They weren't left with the impression that an American had conned them, they were left with the impression that an "American" had conned them, there's a big difference.

did the news reporter on channel 7 (this was a television broadcast?) use air quotes during the report to indicate the bad guy may not have been an american?  if print version, was american in quotes?  the link went to a report about an auto accident.

thaivisa wrote the headline with the quotation marks.

3 hours ago, dddave said:

The "package" scam has been going on for years and has been written about on Thai Facebook a multitude of times.  I knew 2 girls on "Date in Asia" who almost got snagged.  The scammers even have a legitimate looking express tracking website.  It's the old game where they get them all excited, stringing them along with tracking reports from stop to stop. Usually, the story is the cargo plane had an emergency and had to land in Malayasia and customs there is holding the package hostage.  The "boyfriend" is en-route so he can not access his money.  "Please help me darling, I will pay you back triple"

Greed wins again.

It's not just the greed they exploit. Lonely people can easily fall for their false romance, flattering and lots of lonely ladies want to feel special, pampered and also want to show others they have someone who cares and pampers them. Exploiting human nature.

One lot tried it on my S-I-L few years ago. Pretending to be British. We managed to trace the address of the cargo company who were handling it to a house in Bristol (via UK landline number they gave) rather than the one in London they claimed. Africans or Eastern Europeans most probably according to the police. Anyways, I stopped her sending the initial requested 20k baht. All the details were passed to the relevant UK police. 

These people are scum and their scam is well reported on. But they still catch people. 

So many American many were being similarly scanned by Filipina "models" that Western Union used to carry a warning on their website about not to send money to them.

The internet and IT age has opened up new opportunities for criminals.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The women who fall for this are NEVER attractive young hotties.  They're always older, lonely women, which works out well for the scammer because these women usually have some money.  But it requires a high level of stupidity AND greed to fall for such a scam.  Hard to have any sympathy for anyone falling for such a scam.

Ah, the "should have known better" brigade. They never make a mistake themselves thanks to their incredible common sense and worldly wise intelligence based on hindsight!

The average IQ is a bit lower here in Thailand , maybe that's why we hear so many stories like this. Then again it also happens in the West.  Never mind, 

Edited by balo

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Ah, the "should have known better" brigade. They never make a mistake themselves thanks to their incredible common sense and worldly wise intelligence based on hindsight!

I take it you've been scammed.  My condolences. 

here is the problem:

1.  they both were motivated by MONEY

2.  MONEY was more important than love, so it seems

3.  MONEY seemed to control this relationship

do you see a pattern?

hey, i love you... ok, ok, now there's this gold mine.....

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

How is this newsworthy at all? 

4 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Personally i find it interesting and fascinating, almost unbelievable.

Surreal is the word. It happens. I read about a lady who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on getting that 'next' prize.