partners mother, wants land and home back

My domestic partner paid off mothers and fathers land and built a home in Sisaket city 30 years ago. She asked all the brother and sisters if they wanted to help, none did.  Her dad signed everything over to her after the payoff. Title for land and home in her name and has been for the last 30 years. Her mother at the edging of the older sister ( who didn't want to help pay for it), now wants it back. I told her that it dosen't sound legal, but this Thailand- any information. I tried looking up on internet, but not too helpful-

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tell wife to agree, but never get around to visiting the land office or signing anything.

My (former) MiL put the family farm in my son's name (similar circumstances), 10 years back, the rest of the family were never told either. Nothing they can do when they find out about it.

Excellent strategy.

They the hidden agenda behind the transfer can be revealed while there is still time to thwart it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Excellent strategy.

They the hidden agenda behind the transfer can be revealed while there is still time to thwart it.

there was nothing hidden about it. All done legal in the land office. She's had some loans on the land that has been paid off and shows on back of title

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john thom said:

there was nothing hidden about it. All done legal in the land office. She's had some loans on the land that has been paid off and shows on back of title

I meant, what is the agenda behind this:

Her mother at the edging of the older sister ( who didn't want to help pay for it), now wants it back.

All the above seems like good advice with three clear options. But, first, make sure your partner has 100% sole and legal title to the property (don't just take her word for it).

If your partner doesn't want the land then name a fair price for mother/sister to buy.

If your partner wants the land then don't sell or give away.

If your partner wants to keep the land, but wants to keep the peace with her Mum and sister, say she will look at transferring the land. But stall and do nothing final. If she wants to be seen as doing something then take a few steps like getting the Land Office to do a proper survey (3 month delay), do some minor works/improvements to fix up the land (another 3 months), plant some minor crops that need to be harvested first (4 months), put up a shack 'selling' product that 'adds value' to the land. Maybe dig a pond and do a little filling on a corner of the property etc.

All these above can be done with minimal costs and look like the land is needed, is being actively used, and is worth more than the mother/sister may be prepared to pay. 

OK tell the family how much you and your wife want in order to sell it back.

If the siblings are as good as their word they will come up with the cash. IF on the other hand they are simply trying to cash in for when the old girl kicks the bucket they will not come up with the cash.

Not a betting man but I suspect the latter will be the case.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

All the above seems like good advice with three clear options. But, first, make sure your partner has 100% sole and legal title to the property (don't just take her word for it).

If your partner doesn't want the land then name a fair price for mother/sister to buy.

If your partner wants the land then don't sell or give away.

If your partner wants to keep the land, but wants to keep the peace with her Mum and sister, say she will look at transferring the land. But stall and do nothing final. If she wants to be seen as doing something then take a few steps like getting the Land Office to do a proper survey (3 month delay), do some minor works/improvements to fix up the land (another 3 months), plant some minor crops that need to be harvested first (4 months), put up a shack 'selling' product that 'adds value' to the land. Maybe dig a pond and do a little filling on a corner of the property etc.

All these above can be done with minimal costs and look like the land is needed, is being actively used, and is worth more than the mother/sister may be prepared to pay. 

yeah, she dosen't want to get rid of the land- so older sister and mother can kiss off-

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My (former) MiL put the family farm in my son's name (similar circumstances), 10 years back, the rest of the family were never told either. Nothing they can do when they find out about it.

If they are farming the land without a 'contract' and your son has nothing to do with it, there is a way for them to 'claim' the land. I know nothing about this process, but read a thread on TV in the past year about a family that was able to claim the land after farming it for 10 years.

37 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

If they are farming the land without a 'contract' and your son has nothing to do with it, there is a way for them to 'claim' the land. I know nothing about this process, but read a thread on TV in the past year about a family that was able to claim the land after farming it for 10 years.

Indeed. If they use land or put any buildings etc, live on it, for 10 years they can claim ownership. 

Have had relatives try this on with some of wifey's land.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Not sure what the problem is? If she wants the property back give her a good price, being family and all.

Unless you two don't want to sell, then tell her to find another house.

"My domestic partner paid off mothers and fathers land and built a home in Sisaket city 30 years ago"

I don't know, maybe this maybe might be the problem.

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

not farm land. city plot she had home built  - put in her name 30 yrs ago all legal- don't think she has anything to worry about-

Just remind them your partner called them all 30 yrears ago,and asked them to help pay off the loan to help mom and dad. But also mention that they all refused to help. Because it’s family and things might get ugly,offer them their share of the value of the property at what it was worth 30 years ago. Let’s say the valuation on the property was 1,000,000 baht,the parents owed 600,000 baht. Give them a share of the 400,000 baht the mom and dad owned. Better off trying to keep some sort of peace,as we all know how crazy Thais get when money is involved.

• Like 1