Rescue volunteer criticised for his treatment of accident victim

snoop1130

Rescue volunteer criticised for his treatment of accident victim

By The Nation

800_73dafc8f09c1e2e.jpg

A rescue volunteer in Kalasin province has come under fire for trying to treat an injured accident victim -- despite being ill-qualified. The victim later died in a hospital.

Witnesses of the accident recorded footage on Wednesday night showing a man lying on the ground with broken limbs when a rescue volunteer arrives at the scene and bends his legs to his chest in order to fix them.

The footage showed several bystanders screaming, looking at the horrifying scene. However, another group of rescue volunteers arrived and took the victim in an ambulance to the hospital.

Netizens have criticised the volunteer’s actions before more qualified personnel could arrive.

The victim reportedly died in hospital but the National Institute for Emergency Medicine has ordered an investigation into the case.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387447

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-07

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

rescue volunteer arrives at the scene and bends his legs to his chest in order to fix them.

He FDW.???? This prat should be tarred ,feathered and road out of town on a rail

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A rescue volunteer dressed in shorts and a tank top, me thinks he was just a wannabee, and he should be prosecuted for malfeasance, and acting outside of his scope of training, as it would appear he was not trained.... 

P.S.   it's called manslaughter.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ian Nagle said:

P.S.   it's called manslaughter.

Do you know for a fact that the actions of this person led to death of the victim? Exacerbated any potentionally life threatening inguries? It's possible of course but there is nothing in the article to cooberate this. Just states later died in hospital. I know TIT but this is what autopsies are for not conjecturing posters on forums.

• Like 1

The glitter and faux modernism does not hide the ignorance, superstition and backward nature of people. That describes the uniformed creatures, and then there are the masses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grusa said:

You silly boy! Those are emergency stretchers, the gas tank on the left is to help victims breathe, and those are surgical gloves. The box of Leo is for transfusion.

I thought that was the pre-barbeque transport. Have gas? Check. Have Extinguisher in case fire spreads? Check.  Have the tin to cover the deep pit for the barbeque? Check.  Final, Do we have the Leo for Celebrating?  Check, and double Check.  Then we can proceed........ 

The problem is we condemn this man for trying to help. Most people would ignore it and walk on by. Instead of condemning him, hear the full story. 

Every one is 'ill qualified' when it comes to first aid. Even medical doctors are mostly not trained in first aid.

Breathing, bleeding and broken bones. Get the person out of any dangerous places. Life before limb and all that.

• Like 1

Pretty shocking behaviour from the volunteer.

I've only dealt with these guys once, in January after being knocked off a motorbike in a hit and run and being left unconscious in the middle of the road with 6 broken bones and a torn rotator cuff.

They took me to hospital and took my bike to the police station where I collected it 2 days later. They'd gone through my wallet to find my medical card but there was nothing missing and they treated me pretty well in terms of getting me onto the stretcher and into the ambulance and back out once we arrived at hospital.

They did remove my helmet while I was unconscious (I actually regained consciousness while they were doing this) which could have caused issues if I had spinal injuries but in fairness they might have done that to check if I was breathing OK or had swallowed my tongue as the helmet was full face. Overall despite hearing the horror stories I was happy with the way they treated me, very grateful in fact.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Typically nobody listened and son was scolded and told to have respect for doctors.

This is the problem in Thailand, isn't it. A job title is supposed to be worthy of respect, not the person. Same with school teachers, who must be respected even when they beat and rape their students. Where I come from respect isn't a right, it has to be earned. Thailand must have one of the most rigid and destructive class systems in the world, although India might be a rival. I don't know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, missoura said:

Awhile back at our place in the boonies of Phitsanulok province we had an ambulance show up. Why? To deliver some roofing supplies...

ambulance roof 2.JPG

At least it arrived in one piece, unlike some patients.

Not sure what the D shackles are used for in an ambo

On the bright side he had a case of Leo for the quiet times

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, missoura said:

Awhile back at our place in the boonies of Phitsanulok province we had an ambulance show up. Why? To deliver some roofing supplies...

ambulance roof 2.JPG

Along with refreshments in the form of a case of Leo......:thumbsup:........I wonder if that is standard equipment in an ambulance here.....

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

At least it arrived in one piece, unlike some patients.

Not sure what the D shackles are used for in an ambo

On the bright side he had a case of Leo for the quiet times

Great minds think alike !!!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A rescue volunteer dressed in shorts and a tank top, me thinks he was just a wannabee, and he should be prosecuted for malfeasance, and acting outside of his scope of training, as it would appear he was not trained.... 

And who's to blame ???. Common sense would tell you the government for not haven the proper ambulance system in place. Again they don't care about health and safety of their citizens.