Bars may open, but will you drink the beer?

Mark17AA

So how ever many days ago the Bars closed down so the fridges went off, so that nice cold beer sat there, now many days on sitting  in the heat. What do you think will happen, the beer will be thrown away or re chilled and served.

So the question is would you drink it, me its a no.  Even when bars shut of the fridge at night and re start the next day, the beer does taste unsavory.

We know the the Thais do not throw anything away..

Discuss....

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

Are you talking about draft beer or bottled/canned beer?

And, produced here or outside of Thailand? 

I just looked at a Heineken purchased yesterday at 7/11; fill date 12 Dec 2019. Tasted OK, just a bit off. Nice (only) thing about local beers is the recent fill date, often within 14 days.

I'll probably steer clear of draught for a while.

• Thanks 1

Many bars that I use work on a subsistence basis with a number of deliveries weekly. In view of the quiet high season I would be surprised if large stocks were in hand. The stocks by the breweries and wholesalers won't have moved though. 

Beer sold in wholesalers is sold in cardboard boxes which are at ambient temperatures they are then bought by bars at ambient temperatures and stacked in the fridges as and when needed.  So your idea of so called stale beer doesn't apply to bottled beer. 

• Like 1

If the glass is cleaned as it should, 

at least for the time being, 

it may be better not to drink the beer.

Discuss ???????????????????????? ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I bet most of the beer the bars had in stock was sold off 'under the counter' so to speak when the nationwide booze ban was in place.

Agreed. Almost every bar I know well, was selling direct to customers and most sold all they had.

Beyond that, canned and bottled beer does not need to be kept cooled at all times, only prior to serving.

As a poster has mentioned before, only draft beer is a problem, and will have perished if opened. If unopened, it will be fine.

• Like 1

I would bet if the bar staff or owner gave the OP a beer and told him they just bought it and cooled it the day before he would drink it and not even taste the difference . Now everything is easing up a bit he just want to have something else to complain about . As another comment said about the guy complaining about social distancing on his flight back , take a chill pill and @#$% up and drink your cooled beer otherwise just don't drink or buy it somewhere else .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Beer sold in wholesalers is sold in cardboard boxes which are at ambient temperatures they are then bought by bars at ambient temperatures and stacked in the fridges as and when needed.  So your idea of so called stale beer doesn't apply to bottled beer. 

Agree although it normally doesn't last too long before going off. The main reason for a bad tasting bottled beer and I'm sure anyone who drinks beer would have had one, is when it has been chilled, then the fridges get turned off, it gets warm then chilled again. As most here agree, stocks in most bars are only for a few days and most would have been sly grogged off by now. Let's hope we get the chance soon to find out. 

19 hours ago, JensenZ said:

What are the strorage requirements for beer?

Depends on the type of beer. Draught keg lines should have been cleared and filled with water. There are NO requirements to keep the keg chilled. Beer is chilled by a cooler very close to the dispenser. 

Bottled beers should be stored using common sense but there is no requirement for chilling until the night before the bars open again. 

There are probably no cask beers in Thailand but they have special requirements.