Exclusive: 'Sorry is not enough', Caribbean states say of British slavery apologies

snoop1130

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

From the paper that supported slavery and the confederacy, they were right about Lincoln of course, that shyster never actually freed one slave, had 5 years to do it and it was not done until 8 months after he died

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8414917/Guardian-accused-hypocrisy-backing-BLM-protests-despite-branding-Abraham-Lincoln-abhorrent.html

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Saying sorry on a bended knee is all we can offer

you  can  i'm  not, the  whole  things  now ridiculous,  get  on  with  your  life and stop  whinging, I like Morgan  Freemans take on  it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“All the institutions that created this mess really have to come and help in practical ways to clean it up.”

So  lets  also ask those  black slave traders IN Africa who also were doing this and profiteering from their own.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

bannork :The Briti didn't want the Romans to leave, they knew what the Viking hordes would do to them once the Romans had gone." AND just how did you reach that conclusion ? Was there a census carried out or a poll carried out ? Link please. Absolutely no credibility to that statement. In fact the local conquered people were forced to build their castles as strongholds in case of any uprising from the locals, or foreign invaders. They were made construction and farm slaves to their conquerors for a period of time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

You missed out the German government of the day, you know, the government that rounded up 6,000,000 people and executed them, plus their purge for stardom killed tens of millions. Why no comment...?

I am 100% in favour of prosecuting any and all found guilty of taking part in the Holocaust, no matter their age, no matter how minor the role. Any firms involved should be completely stripped of all assets. I really didn’t think anyone would be so dense as to need that explaining.

No idea what you are rambling on about with “purge for stardom”. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, bodga said:

IM going straight to the top and not wasting time, this is  all God's  fault, I  just cant decide which one of the  fantasies to go after in court yet?

Talk to transam, he’s the one who is so concerned about these issues, he introduced them, not me. 

Unless he was engaging in deflection that is...and I didn’t really mean what I said. You’ve heard of sarcasm, yes?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

The mess for many of these countries started when The British, French, Portuguese, etc. pulled out.

Some of them until now are not capable to run their country alone and efficently, s they still have a mentality like in tribes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

From the paper that supported slavery and the confederacy, they were right about Lincoln of course, that shyster never actually freed one slave, had 5 years to do it and it was not done until 8 months after he died

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8414917/Guardian-accused-hypocrisy-backing-BLM-protests-despite-branding-Abraham-Lincoln-abhorrent.html

Never said anything about Lincoln in any of my posts. 

15 hours ago, steve187 said:

cake and eat it springs to mind, lets give them money because hundreds of years ago their far distant relations, suffered hardship, so did the white Europeans that were treated as slaves, Romans conquered,  Egyptians used slave labour etc. history is full of countries being conquered and enslaved,  the past is the past just make the most of it, don't ask for hand outs

The Germans bombed our fish and chip shop.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Give them the market value if their homes, a bunch of flowers and a big card saying sorry.  Them fly them all back to Africa business class.

Then give the place back to its original native people. Everyone happy. 

Americans created Liberia in the 1820's for ex slaves to go back to their homeland, or at least home continent with the capital named after Presindent Monroe. Strangely few ever took up the offer!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Anyone know the difference between the word "Slave" and the word "Indentured Servant"?

Just been told off on another site,  for using the word Slave, in relation to the Irish people being captured and shipped overseas. But in the books and Folklore they use the word Slaves when talking about the Irish and the Vikings,, But it seems the words "Indentured Servants" should be used for these folk. Is this a word we should now use for all these black "Slaves "  
Got to admit, it makes it sound so much better 

They were two totally different things. Indentured servitude was a bit like car leasing.. And it was voluntary: not ideal but better than starving at home. If you were captured and sold overseas it was slavery. Trouble was they tended to have the same 'drive it like you stole it' attitude.. They were paid at the end of the contract so rather better to make sure they didn't get that far. The African slaves were an investment so looked after far better than their white English or Irish indentured predecessors.

15 hours ago, transam said:

So do we pursue the Romans, Normans, Germans for financial closure regarding their atrocities...?

And lets pull up the A5, A2 A303........... All symbols of White Slavery.

Caribbean has nice beaches , sunshine and obviously fertile soil. Why don't they just get on with it. 

Spanish stole most of the Caribbean before the Brits got there. 

As has been said just a money grab scheme. Why don't they CrowdFund?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I am 100% in favour of prosecuting any and all found guilty of taking part in the Holocaust, no matter their age, no matter how minor the role. Any firms involved should be completely stripped of all assets. I really didn’t think anyone would be so dense as to need that explaining.

No idea what you are rambling on about with “purge for stardom”. 

Ford got compensation from the allies for its factories that were bombed during the last war. In Germany. Using slave labour.

2 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Ford got compensation from the allies for its factories that were bombed during the last war. In Germany. Using slave labour.

Then I will support any action against ford for its use of slave labour, if what you say is true that is. 

1 minute ago, Krataiboy said:

How much are you personally willing to lob into the reparations pot?

I don’t believe I have shares in Lloyd’s but I’ll check and get back to you.

though that said, if any investment I have made that involves companies with a slaver history, quite happy to take the financial hit. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I don’t believe I have shares in Lloyd’s but I’ll check and get back to you.

though that said, if any investment I have made that involves companies with a slaver history, quite happy to take the financial hit. 

Our breath is bated!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Why am I not surprised!

I don’t know, however the point is moot.

I’ve already said I’m willing to accept the financial hit if any of my investments turn out to have such a sordid history that they end up paying reparations. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t know, however the point is moot.

I’ve already said I’m willing to accept the financial hit if any of my investments turn out to have such a sordid history that they end up paying reparations. 

If you'd like to send me a list, I'm happy to help you check.

• Thanks 2

I would hereby like to apologise to the black community for my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandfathers racial views !

I am now waiting for an apology from great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, descendants of all those that enslaved my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandfather and took him to fight in the Roman coluseum 

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1