Trump's push to reopen schools part of bid to boost suburban standing

webfact

As usual, everything about himself with total disregard to the population in general.

I read a quote yesterday:-

""Never underestimate the  power of stupid people in large groups ""

Somehow seems to fit well current circumstances. 

9 hours ago, J Town said:

I saw a recent interview of DeVos, that very question was put to her in a very blunt fashion "Give me a yes or no answer, will schools be safe fully opening up using CDC guidelines?" She just put it in autospin.

You watched her interview? Are you out of your mind to waste time listening to the dumbest head of education ever.

She thinks she is qualified simply because she went to school.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

You watched her interview? Are you out of your mind to waste time listening to the dumbest head of education ever.

She thinks she is qualified simply because she went to school.

Know your enemy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Perhaps children are not "affected" by the virus as you say, but bringing it home to their extended families is another matter. 

You are determined to be ill informed apparently. Children transmit at a very low rate. The hysterical post I was answering was claiming that the kids would die  (because of ... Trump...).

Google it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Tug said:

Kids are little germ factory’s lol bless their grubby little selfs lol they are not in the high risk group true but they sick or not would certainly spread it and some will become very ill and some will die I’m more fact driven than fear driven It’s killing folks in the 10s of thousands that’s fact it’s highly contagious that’s fact there are tools we have to mitigate it to a point that’s fact this isent about the election per se it’s about saving lives if the leadership is failing in that regard then it certainly does affect my choices in the election 

Calm down. Google it. Children have a low risk of being infected and an even lower risk of transmitting it. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, J Town said:

STILL with this? They get the virus as does the teacher, the teacher and some students die. Or they get the virus, take it back home, family members die. Thai schools are in the 3rd week of reopening because (and I know the "glass half empty" crew will say how wrong I am) Thailand did a good job of containing the flu. Just today, Florida surpassed the worst number of new cases, and other states are vying for first place. Until the US adequately deals by coming together as a team to combat Covid-19, schools will be just like Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, etc.

It's not propaganda that has me concerned. It's the hospitals saying they're having to turn away patients because they don't have the resources to handle the growing number of cases.

What hospitals? The ones in New York where the hospital ships stood unused throughout the peak of the panic?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Calm down. Google it. Children have a low risk of being infected and an even lower risk of transmitting it. 

To my surprise, yes, you're right. One big caveat 'provided social distancing rules are followed', which is impossible at schools, especially with young children.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cooked said:

What hospitals? The ones in New York where the hospital ships stood unused throughout the peak of the panic?

New York did all the right things, and at the time I place this post, not one death today. Texas, Florida, Arizona, Oklahoma, etc etc etc are reaching near max capacity. Texas in particular is turning people away, and the numbers are rising. Florida set a new WORLD record for most cases in one day. Just cuz you put out the fire in the bathroom doesn't mean the rest of the house isn't burning.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

Will Street journal recent numbers of infected children contradict this statement. Plus as mentioned earlier, low risk for kids is only applicable if social distancing rules are followed, which is not realistic at schools, especially for young kids.

I must admit I am confused about this right now, and will have to delve deeper.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

Children transmit at a very low rate.

Feel free to provide a citation.

Also feel free to provide your recommended thresholds for maximum "transmission rates" in order to safely open any school.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Feel free to provide a citation.

Also feel free to provide your recommended thresholds for maximum "transmission rates" in order to safely open any school.

Is 15,000 dead children acceptable? (Betsy DeVos recently stated .02% of returning school children will likely die and that's apparently OK with her)

800 school age (under 20) have tested positive in my state to date. 0 have been hospitalized and 0 have died. The schools are voting Wednesday on bringing half the students in to class 2 days a week with the other 2 days utilizing online teaching. and the 5 day an open "study" day.  Our Governor Blackface tends to follow from behind though so he may see the Cali Gov going draconian and follow suit.

2 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

The schools are voting

IMO, this is the way it should work. Local municipalties and school districts need to plan, gain public acceptance/approval, and thenexecute on that plan. Tha plan also needs metrics for testing/results and a process to potentially close again.

Orders from Washington DC can't/won't/shouldn't work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

800 school age (under 20) have tested positive in my state to date. 0 have been hospitalized and 0 have died. The schools are voting Wednesday on bringing half the students in to class 2 days a week with the other 2 days utilizing online teaching. and the 5 day an open "study" day.  Our Governor Blackface tends to follow from behind though so he may see the Cali Gov going draconian and follow suit.

Early on 45 claimed this was all a Democratic hoax, then downplayed as much as he could, and now the US is on fire. Numbers of children getting sick from the virus is on the rise. I doubt you have any school age children.

Why is this so difficult to grasp? Thailand did a great job, schools are in the 3rd week of reopening because they got the virus under control first. Until other countries get this concept, they are playing Russian roulette with only one empty chamber.

Edited by J Town
gramar [sic]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

I presume half of students in one day, other half the other day? Online teaching by whom?

Looks to me they'll need double the amount of teachers, plus some more due to some not willing to start yet.

Anyone any idea how this is going to work?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

"A commentary published in the journal Pediatrics,"

Really? 

Yes. Then you go to the source and check there. Hence 'start'. Dismissing opinions the way you're doing here shows a preset, immoveable opinion.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Believe this is being done here in Thailand.

That said, it probably won't work for more than a week or two.

Thai schools are entering week 3 reopening and it's going quite well considering the challenges. It would help us all to try and be "glass half full."

14 hours ago, cooked said:

You are determined to be ill informed apparently. Children transmit at a very low rate. The hysterical post I was answering was claiming that the kids would die  (because of ... Trump...).

Google it.

Low is not zero. It's all calculated risks I suppose. 

I don't have children living with me or in school so I have no dog in this fight. 

What I am absolutely sure of is that zero exposure means zero risk of infection. Each person can slice or dice that anyway they want. I have and will continue to practice safety to the extent that I practically can. That will continue to be my stance for the foreseeable future. 

That said, I reserve the right to my opinion that Agent Orange is harmful to my homeland in every possible way and his judgment and advice on all matters is to be strenuously ignored. I won't waste my time following any news from our co-opted government on the virus issue either. I prefer scientific opinion to political opinion every time. 

If Biden is not available I'll vote for Mickey Mouse before any republican candidate for any office on the ballot this year. The entire republican party is a pernicious blight on America. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Town said:

Thai schools are entering week 3 reopening and it's going quite well considering the challenges. It would help us all to try and be "glass half full."

I was referring to it not working for more than a week or two in the U.S.A., which is what this thread is about. 

It's only been eight school days here, and the infection rate seems zero.. Quite a bit different than the U.S.?

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Then you go to the source and check there.

What "source"?

This one? https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2020/07/08/peds.2020-1576

Sorry, still far from a peer-reviewed, replicable scientific study indicating efficacy.

Edited by mtls2005

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I was referring to it not working for more than a week or two in the U.S.A., which is what this thread is about. 

It's only been eight school days here, and the infection rate seems zero.. Quite a bit different than the U.S.?

Oops, my misunderstanding. Yes, Thailand is doing it correctly.