Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

webfact

19 hours ago, greggraham said:

So the big question is what does "visa requests" mean?

Can we apply for (new) tourist visas in country? Or convert to a non-B? Or get a marriage visa without leaving? etc.

It means anyone with extensions expired or about to, or expired visas need to renew them during August or September.

After September 21st if you have neither valid extension or visa you will be illegal.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

But, he's not going to be doing anything at the IO in the 'next province' is he?

It's always a good idea to get it direct from the local horse's mouth.

I agree with your last sentence, but what I am saying is IOs  have different interpretations of the same thing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eibot said:

The amnesty basically got extended until Sep 26 and there will be an option to extend with another 30 days....This is arguably the best possible news....

Who would be disappointed? Lol

Incorrect. The "you don't have to do anything" amnesty will clearly end on 31 July and the "you have to do something" normalization of your right to stay period will commence on 1 August.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Markphuket said:

Waiting UbonJoe for his translation... 

does it mean expired visas now have to leave and people on valid visas who can’t extend can now extend at immigration? 

Very confused by the wording also 

I would say you're right 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Incorrect. The "you don't have to do anything" amnesty will clearly end on 31 July and the "you have to do something" normalization of your right to stay period will commence on 1 August.

Exactly, no where did it even say that the amnesty will be extended. 

They said, they do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1st

Those on tourists visas really should have plan B or an exit plan in place right now 

People 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Exactly, no where did it even say that the amnesty will be extended. 

They said, they do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,

yes they have extended it to 26th Sept
During this final grace period
you must take action one way or another
as there will not be any further extension of the amnesty
hence they have called it a "grace period" to avoid confusion,
so people understand they must act before 26/9

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Incorrect. Read the article again.

People who are going home have the right to stay until 26/09 and don't have to do anything. I said basically because the only thing different between the amnesty and this is the wording. The call this a "grace" period.

If you want to stay AFTER 26/09 you have to get your extension sorted IN the grace period.

that is exactly the same as what he said no ?
August 1st to Sept 26th
you must leave or get visa/extension sorted by 26/9

16 hours ago, innosiem said:

so, can i get my 60 day extension (or 1 year if they insist)
in September 

And now many shall be waiting to September to " strech" the elastic from the extension to his maximum lenght for stay i guess .

August to see few applicants ..? ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elektrified said:

12 agonizing pages of speculation and bickering and not a word from ubonjoe. What does that tell you? That he will comment and clarify the situation when there is an official word and he has had time to digest the wording of the order.

The forum collective sincerely thanks for not waiting for ubonjoe's supreme court opinion before casting your two penneth.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It means anyone with extensions expired or about to, or expired visas need to renew them during August or September.

After September 21st if you have neither valid extension or visa you will be illegal.

After September 26th...

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

And now many shall be waiting to September to " strech" the elastic from the extension to his maximum lenght for stay i guess .

August to see few applicants ..? ????

no point getting a 60 day extension in August if one can wait til september when flights hopefully restart
and maybe borders open
would give people lots more options if they wait

my visa is also valid til November
so would make sense for myself to get 60 days in Sept
and hopefully i can take a quick holiday somewhere before returning just before visa expires (then good for another 5 months)

Edited by innosiem

Just now, innosiem said:

no point getting a 60 day extension in August if one can wait til september when flights hopefully restart
and maybe borders open
would give people lots more options if they wait

It’s not very clear, but it would seem that foreigners will be able to apply for visas inside the country between 1 August & 26 September. But, tourists might need to show proof they can’t go home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:
It’s not very clear, but it would seem that foreigners will be able to apply for visas inside the country between 1 August & 26 September. But, tourists might need to show proof they can’t go home.

Your Point ?

23 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Who is a" tourist "....and who is category "foreigner "...?  ????

Anyway i shall do my normal ret. Ext #8 at Jomtien as normal last week August ,to be before the chaos rush that September shall become......just as i did in person my 90 day in May as immigration was a desrted place ..

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

All speculation of course, highlighted by Ubon Joe's deathly silence...but would it probably be safe to assume that going out and coming back in is off the table with the borders still probably closed and all the requirements to get back in even if they weren't?

Also, if it is an ext or nothing, I qualify for both marriage and retirement ext, funds aside is it less hassle to get one over the other?? I may go through an agent anyway. Currently on a 1 yr non O.

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

To echo some of the previous posts, I think if you don't have a proper reason to be here that fits into the current visa system, e.g. you have been offered a job, you are married, etc. then it's bye bye to Thailand for a good long while. 

What about the all the thousands on retirement?? You forgot about them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I you are retired and on a yearly extension at the moment you just carry on as normal with 90 day reports, however you do them, email post or in person. When due you renew as you usually do.

Amnesty and grace period really don't have any effect on you.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So anyone who has to go out and come right back in is in big doo doo still as will probably will have to get insurance and CV19 certs and quite possibly quarantine at that outrageous cost. So essentially anyone who does go out is going to be stuck out as you have to make those arrangements and get approvals. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

... even immigration themselves call the permission of stay to be a visa .

Everyone knows and is aware of this 

This. We know fine well that Immigration office(r)s routinely use the terms "visa" and "extension of permission to stay" interchangeably. As do many on here. It's confusing, but not terminally so.

19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah, think I'll make the trip into my local Immigration office next week and see if they can shed some light on the announcement.

Why don't you wait till Tuesday when the govt holds its cabinet meeting.  

I honestly don't understand some people.

Remember, it isn't official as yet,

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

They just can do as usual nothing changes for them . Just extend at the proper date as usual

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, anchadian said:
19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah, think I'll make the trip into my local Immigration office next week and see if they can shed some light on the announcement.

Why don't you wait till Tuesday when the govt holds its cabinet meeting.  

I honestly don't understand some people.

Remember, it isn't official as yet,

More to the point wait till its announced on the friday.

Immigration doent make the rules any more than a police force passes laws.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yes, you can get them through agents, so a change to Edu and Non immigrant Os are on the table. Just needs to be done by Sept 26.  Don't think we need to leave by July 31. Why is it so important to some people that we get kicked out?

I think it is get a proper visa or get out by Sept 26. In any case, we don't know for certain what this is. I will wait until we get more info next week after the cabinet meeting.

Check the Bangkok post and it's very clear. It says we will be given a grace period from August 1st until Sept 26 to apply to stay for a specific period. However, if we are in country after September 26 we will be considered on overstay, face legal action and be blacklisted. So it really is an amnesty to Sept 26, but then we need to get out if we have not secured a new visa or extension. Otherwise, we are in heaps of trouble.

It even says people who are going to return to their home countries also have until Sept 26, but don't need to contact to immigration so for them in essence it's an amnesty.

"Why is it so important to some people that we get kicked out?"

I think you will find out that some people who have gone through all the hassle with IOs and their 800.000 Baht in a Thai bank are angry because tourists with the amnesty don't have to jump through all the hoops that they are.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Rubbish. Fact that immigration refers to everything as a Veserrs does not give licence to follow like a sheep.

Also so wrong that "everyone is aware of this"

No, it doesn't give everyone licence to follow suit but it does means we recognise the fact that they do it.  And OK, maybe not "everyone" is aware of this but I think at least a majority are.

29 minutes ago, innosiem said:

yes they have extended it to 26th Sept
During this final grace period
you must take action one way or another
as there will not be any further extension of the amnesty
hence they have called it a "grace period" to avoid confusion,
so people understand they must act before 26/9

If Immigration have "called it a "grace period" to avoid confusion", then why are both you and @Eibot calling it an extension of the amnesty?

That's why I clearly labeled the amnesty as the "do nothing" period versus the grace period as the "do something" period. They are NOT the same thing.

You will be hard pressed to provide any pending statement or future cabinet approved and Royal Gazetted edict that says the "amnesty" ends on 26th September. The amnesty ends as planned at the end of THIS month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deputy Spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, Natapanu, has tweeted the news and tagged a bunch of embassy's. Seems almost certain now.

"As mentioned earlier in CCSA briefings, that it was in the pipeline and Immigration would be proposing it"

• Like 1