Seatbelt saves driver after car skids out of control in Phuket

webfact

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

Driving way to fast for the wet conditions .

Basically all drivers in the video!

First I thought that the video is running fast but no.

I can't believe how people on small bikes can run that fast on a wet road surface.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Also, that his upper body hang out from the window suggests that he did wear the safety belt "thai style" meaning only the waist belt.

Might be.

I saw this video on another source yesterday and thought that he was NOT buckled up.

So a surprise to read that he was.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Basically all drivers in the video!

First I thought that the video is running fast but no.

I can't believe how people on small bikes can run that fast on a wet road surface.

What video is that? I watched the one in the op, all you can see is the pickup after it hit something, and after that some others driving carefully.

What !!!! 

No amulet, this can't be right ?

Me thinks its the door that saved him as he was wedged between it and the frame of the pick up, the belt would have had a part in it.

Lucky guy, slow down and buy an amulet ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

What video is that? I watched the one in the op, all you can see is the pickup after it hit something, and after that some others driving carefully.

??

The youtube video at the end of the opening post.

As a link only:

https://youtu.be/VZI3NYayzZY

The "raw" video that I saw showed much more of the preceding with the speeding motorbikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDDNQsPAZ5I

And surprise, surprise: overtaking forbidden at that stretch (solid yellow lines, T-junction, pedestrian crosswalk (haha) etc.). He seemingly slipped on the yellow lines.

Somnamna.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The "raw" video that I saw showed much more of the preceding with the speeding motorbikes:

It also shows a Thai filming the driver on his smart phone for upload on social media seconds after the accident. Dead or alive , doesn't matter to them, as long as they can entertain themselves. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, balo said:

It also shows a Thai filming the driver on his smart phone for upload on social media seconds after the accident. Dead or alive , doesn't matter to them, as long as they can entertain themselves. 

You got to catch the front page .. ???? .. There are clicks to be made ...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, balo said:

Still they sell cars in Thailand without airbags. You have to pay extra for that !  Says it all. 

I agree with you, I mean it is sad it happens but again a good example the government is responsible for this.

It is easy to arrange this by law, as in many Westerns countries, but again a proof the government is not in interested to keep the traffic safe.

• Like 1

Looked like the smashed door Not a seatbelt that saved him. 

And there are those who bang-on about saving face - pfft, just a feeble excuse for idiocy.

Driving like that deserves a stretch in the monkey house. 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

??

The youtube video at the end of the opening post.

As a link only:

https://youtu.be/VZI3NYayzZY

And surprise, surprise: overtaking forbidden at that stretch (solid yellow lines, T-junction, pedestrian crosswalk (haha) etc.). He seemingly slipped on the yellow lines.

Somnamna.

Far too fast for the conditions and circumstances. My takeaway is that the truck driver got what was coming to him. The motorcyclist and passenger were extremely lucky not to be taken out by this MF!

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

Driving way to fast for the wet conditions .

what are you estimate how fast the traffic was going at this spot?
With these road markings, the lineup of the UTE to these markings and the time in the upper right corner it should be easy to calculate.
I would say between 50 - 55 km/h isn't too fast for this condition. No standing water and with 55 km/h not enough speed for aquaplaning.
But of course, we could all travel in horse carriage.

My guess is an unexperienced driver has over reacted and lost control of the vehicle, seen so many times. Due to the low speed of the vehicle he wasn't thrown out of the car even he wasn't using his safety seat belt correctly.
Luck B*****d, thanks to his amulet.

11 hours ago, balo said:

Nothing to do with Thai, same is unfortunately happening all over the world.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Wearing a seat belt Thai style almost cost one of my co workers his life. He smashed his face so badly that now he has a full beard and mustache to hide the scars. This Thai fellow is lucky that

he was not thrown out of the pickup totally.

Geezer 

16 hours ago, balo said:

Did you just come out of a long coma or something,  happens in all countries, probably even the one you come from.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Same old, same old I am afraid KB........ 

I have been alarmed recently at the speed at which motorbikes have been tearing along Nanai Road, where I live, and just yesterday I witnessed a bad accident because of this.

A boy, freshfaced, small, slim and no older than 14, I would think, came tearing over the hill by the defunct complex "The Park", going south, down a slope and on a bend and must have been doing 80 to 100 kph, and almost out of control on a powerful large 150 cc PCX/CNX – – far too fast to slow down, take evasive action or stop for a poor woman who had ventured out into the road, not seeing this idiot, and she was hit sideways on with the bike skidding off to one side and the young boy seemingly okay.

The poor woman was bowled over a few times in the middle-of-the-road, screaming in pain and soon the screaming stopped and her head dropped to one side, and I thought she had died.

By this time there were a few Thai folk around her, trying to help in whichever way they could, and I asked some bystanders I knew, to call an ambulance.

Initially I thought she had lost a leg as there was blood trickling along the road, but it turns out that her leg was bent underneath her – – not a pretty sight.

The ambulance took her away and I enquired as to her well-being a little later, and was told that she had severe protruding fractures of the femur and tibia, but was alive.

What surprised me was the age of the boy driver and I mentioned that he was probably about 14, having said that, the amount of those large bikes absolutely screaming along Nanai Road these days, the majority being driven by the crazy Italians and Frarabs, is frightening.

And to add a rider (sorry about the pun) which is probably not totally relevant to this, I would see no more than 10% of crash helmets being worn these days, and farangs are just as bad as Thais.

35 minutes ago, xylophone said:

<snip>

And to add a rider (sorry about the pun) which is probably not totally relevant to this, I would see no more than 10% of crash helmets being worn these days, and farangs are just as bad as Thais.

I also have the feeling the number of crash helmets worn has decreased considerably.

• Like 2