My only relative in the UK died of the virus

gamini

Living quite happily in Thailand without fear of getting infected by the virus. What's happening in the rest of the world seems be far far away. So imagine my shock when my only relative in the UK died of the virus. I am 90 years old and outlived all my relatives in the UK except one cousin that I have been in touch with and very close to all my life . We have been in touch by email until recently then she died of the virus . She was old but in very good health . It really affected me and bought me down to earth. The worst part was that her son living in France could not attend her funeral so they had to postpone it and then had an online funeral when he managed to get back to the UK he was the only one at the funeral all the other friends and relatives were not living in the UK. When she was sick and dying of the virus she could not even see her son, I am wondering if any TV members have lost a relative or friend too? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 12

That's tragic, op, sorry to hear. Yes, this horrible thing really hits the aged and UK has one of the most senior populations in the world. I've found Thailand holds back the years - less stress, more happy day-to-day living - and really noticed it on returning to the UK after a time seeing how friends had moved on in years. I've just lost a dear friend, not to the virus, and have been knocked sideways so can relate somewhat.

Read Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now.

Take care x

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes my late father’s partner passed in March took a month before she was cremated only 15 family allowed to the funeral could not go to the funeral home to pay last respects as all visiting was banned very strict timetable in the crematorium all over and done in 15/20 minutes . All I can say is memories never die or fade ????????????????????

• Like 2

A relative yes, though not a close one.  Frankly I'd have walked past him in the street, it's that long since I'd seen him.

Lost my mother (92) in April, not covid related, but I couldn't even go home for the funeral.

In Thailand not even my wife's extended Thai family has had any cases.  Safer here, until they let the Horde back in anyway.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Lost my mother (92) in April, not covid related, but I couldn't even go home for the funeral.

Sorry for your loss, 92 is a good innings, hope she didn't suffer, the fact that you couldn't go home for the funeral is something that's always on my mind with my mum who will be 85 in November, she is in a nursing home with various ailments and gets no visitors because her other sons, nieces and nephews are all too busy on their iphones with social media.

I call her once a month, not as often as I would like to but with dementia and her hearing, it's hard, hope this virus is brought under control soon and she doesn't pass before hand, that is all I can hope for, I am grateful though as I was able to see her 3 times in the last 5 years.

As for the brothers, nieces and nephews I couldn't really give a rats about them, and as I am the executor of mums estate, they will feel my fury ????

On 7/28/2020 at 12:37 AM, gamini said:

When she was sick and dying of the virus she could not even see her son, I am wondering if any TV members have lost a relative or friend too? 

Lost my Dad while while he was in Cambodia and no one could come to see him even, nor could he get to a country with proper hospitals as all the nearby countries were closed to medical tourism. We don't know if it was from COVID because he was never tested but did get a strong flu prior to having congestive heart failure. COVID in older people can trigger preexisting conditions even in healthy people (my Dad was healthy and only 67 but may have had a heart condition which went unnoticed).

The lockdown was the worst part about this whole experience to be honest.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

my mum who will be 85 in November, she is in a nursing home with various ailments and gets no visitors because her other sons, nieces and nephews are all too busy on their iphones with social media.

That's so sad to hear. I've gotten friendly with my 70 year old Canadian neighbor and he says he hasn't spoken to his son in 15 years. It breaks my heart to think of fathers and sons like that after my own father just passed and not even being able to see him. He could fall ill at any moment and no one will be able to see him due to the lockdown. What a shame...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UnkleMoooose said:

Died of the virus or with the virus? Two hugely different things.

Op lost a relative. Whether "with" or "of" Covid makes no difference. There is no difference. Covid is the trigger either way.

9 hours ago, genericptr said:

That's so sad to hear. I've gotten friendly with my 70 year old Canadian neighbor and he says he hasn't spoken to his son in 15 years. It breaks my heart to think of fathers and sons like that after my own father just passed and not even being able to see him. He could fall ill at any moment and no one will be able to see him due to the lockdown. What a shame...

Sorry for your loss.

Family is so important.

Gamini, my condolences to you and your family (you mentioned a nephew). It's tough when a close cousin or sibling dies. I've lost 2 brothers since living in Thailand and was not able to go back. It doesn't matter the cause or how much time you have to know they are dying . It is still heart twisting. You take care of yourself.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, DefaultName said:

A relative yes, though not a close one.  Frankly I'd have walked past him in the street, it's that long since I'd seen him.

In Thailand not even my wife's extended Thai family has had any cases.  Safer here, until they let the Horde back in anyway.

I have a large family and also come into contact with a lot of people in my work and, bar one whose father was very old, there are no cases. Thailand appears to be, but I don't think anywhere is safer. It surely has to run and be part of normal life.

Sad you couldn't get back. :sad:

All the best.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, genericptr said:

Lost my Dad while while he was in Cambodia and no one could come to see him even, nor could he get to a country with proper hospitals as all the nearby countries were closed to medical tourism. We don't know if it was from COVID because he was never tested but did get a strong flu prior to having congestive heart failure. COVID in older people can trigger preexisting conditions even in healthy people (my Dad was healthy and only 67 but may have had a heart condition which went unnoticed).

The lockdown was the worst part about this whole experience to be honest.

Sorry to hear this. I remember your thread trying to get him moved to a Thai hospital.

Take care