Austrian man, 77, dies as motorbike collides head-on with van

webfact

When a van ran into the back of me the driver said I passed him and then cut in front and stopped ,only when police checked cctv at a garage did they see I was always in front and the van was speeding , when I said what about the van driver lying they said no problem 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sebastion said:

Lets establish this...this 77 year old Austrian:

1) Would not have been licensed

2) Would probably have had a few drinks in him

3) Was probably not wearing a helmet

4) Was doubling a bar girl on the bike, who probably had a few drinks too and you can guarantee the bargirl would have been screaming into her phone to her Thai boyfriend about the amazing 10 somtam meals she had over the last 5 hours, thus distracting the driver

Why the character assassination?

What exactly do you know about the incident to comment so assuredly that he was not licensed, drunk, not wearing a helmet and had a bargirl with him?

It was approx.  7.30 pm. Isn't that a bit early to be drunk and picking up a bar girl? Perhaps they had just finished dinner?  Don't you ever have a romantic dinner? I don't think a helmet would have helped as he did a face first  impact. He was apparently still alive when transported to the  hospital.

According to the initial investigation, the motorcycle strayed out of its lane. The turn angle isn't that sharp so he may have been distracted or lost balance. I don't know and neither do you. How about waiting for the blood alcohol test results?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Why the character assassination?

What exactly do you know about the incident to comment so assuredly that he was not licensed, drunk, not wearing a helmet and had a bargirl with him?

It was approx.  7.30 pm. Isn't that a bit early to be drunk and picking up a bar girl? Perhaps they had just finished dinner?  Don't you ever have a romantic dinner? I don't think a helmet would have helped as he did a face first  impact. He was apparently still alive when transported to the  hospital.

According to the initial investigation, the motorcycle strayed out of its lane. The turn angle isn't that sharp so he may have been distracted or lost balance. I don't know and neither do you. How about waiting for the blood alcohol test results?

We all know what the blood alcohol tests will reveal

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

If you had read the news article you had learned that the "old man" was on the back of the motorbike

If you had read the article properly, he was riding, not pillion. He had a pillion passenger.

Capt Channarong said that according to the police’s initial investigation, the Austrian man was riding the motorbike from Karon towards Kata with Ms Kannika sitting on the back. As the motorbike rounded the curve, it strayed into the oncoming lane and struck the van head-on.

See full story, article refers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Agreed, we have an Irish friend - with 9 children already - still trying for another at 75 for child with his 35 year old wife

Probably should not be driving motorbikes with pillions on the back either

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lom said:

The old man fell back into right-side driving?

More likely the motorcycle driver was drive too fast, 'cut' the curve and couldn't pull the M/C out of the lane in time to miss the van. RIP and I hope the lady recovers completely. Very sad.

4 hours ago, sebastion said:

Maybe the 29 year old woman was his daughter and he was just taking her to piano lessons in Kata at 730pm at night?

I think you are slowly narrowing it down. Keep on going.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

A sad end, at least it was quick ............

But sudden death age 77 while having a hot young bargirl on the back of your bike isn't the worst way to go. 

Exactly my thoughts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

Just because the van stopped on it’s side of the road doesn’t mean it was on that side when accident happened , only by examining the road can that be seen

One of the photos in the linked article shows scrape marks in the road surface where the bike was dragged. They are well inside the van's lane.

I don't think there can be any doubt that the bike was in the wrong lane when the collision happened.

The motorbike was left on the oncoming side of the road. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

yes, people here who keep repeating that it's ok to ride motorbikes until death are actually right ????

for sure it is very safe for a 77 years old guy to ride a motorbike...

daily evidences !

Age 64 here, just bought a Honda CB300 ................ had my 30 year old gik on it this morning.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

One of the photos in the linked article shows scrape marks in the road surface where the bike was dragged. They are well inside the van's lane.

I don't think there can be any doubt that the bike was in the wrong lane when the collision happened.

The motorbike was left on the oncoming side of the road. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

I have never seen an Austrian motorbike champion, Australia on the other hand has plenty of great motorbike legends

5 hours ago, sebastion said:

Australians drive on the normal side of the road. Same as Thailand

400px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right_svg.png.a38e8aeb1bcd9a69dadb8c8a3e2a06ba.png

Every red color Coundry in this map drive "weird" side of the road! Hmm... why there are more red color than blue?

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Not quite sure where the 'curve' or 'bend' is on that part of Patak Road opposite the gold shop, its a fairly straight bit of road, and the double yellow lines were only painted onto that stretch of road no more than 24 hours before this happened.

Edited by PST

They don’t know there is a difference between Austria and Australia 

My kid with an Australian mother was registered here as Austrian.

Easy mistake to make if you’ve zero motivation and limited knowledge of the world.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2