Thoughts about when Exit & Reentry to Kingdom will be possible?

Without restrictions and without quarantine and assuming a Vaccine comes on line in the spring of 2021 (quite likely) I'd say late 2022 early 2023.

Without that vaccine frankly its game over as regards Thailand....

18 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Without restrictions and without quarantine and assuming a Vaccine comes on line in the spring of 2021 (quite likely) I'd say late 2022 early 2023.

Without that vaccine frankly its game over as regards Thailand....

That is the only way in reality. This gov is way too paranoid to open the borders as before until this thing has been completely eliminated. Just look at the song and dance made over the Egyptian dude, just one person.

51 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

@DaLa lucky you

In a sense; as I would be climbing the walls back in the UK. However my export business has taken a hit as I'm unable to procure stock whilst I'm in Thailand. So the problems aren't only hitting the tourist trade. Hopefully some magical cure will arrive and we can all get back to our 'normal' routines.

I hope what you posted about Thai Airways comes to fruition.

16 hours ago, Oldie said:

What does it help you to get useless assumptions? The government will let us know when they will allow it. And I can't get rid of the feeling that they don't know it yet. And even if they allow it one day you might have quarantine in both countries. But even this is not for sure.

Why do people keep trying to guess when the borders will open.

Its also difficult and risky to buy airline tickets.

It must be frustrating for many having to wait many months,but i think its a pointless exercise,trying to guess dates,that may or may not eventuate..

• Like 2

It really does not depend on Thailand...it depends on the countries that have not controlled the spread of the virus. But Thailand should and could open selectively....partner with countries that have demonstrated good control and make mutual bi-lateral tourism channels. But Americans especially should be kept out because a few dumb@#$$$@ have ruined it for everyone (I am American and will not return to visit family and friends for a long time because of it)

1 hour ago, JusticeGB said:

A large Thai travel agency closed its business with effect from 31st August 2020 because it doubts that tourism will return in 2021 and even in 2022 it will be minimal. They are laying off 300 staff.

Asia World travel agency closed July 23 with the same forecast.

“Asia World has had no business for the past four to five months and no income because of Covid-19,” said founder and managing director, Stephen McEvoy, in a note to staff. “It seems that tourists will not return to Thailand for a long time, which could be in 2021 or 2022, but nobody can be sure." 

https://skift.com/2020/08/06/thailands-60th-tourism-anniversary-turns-to-nightmare-as-longstanding-travel-agencies-start-closing/

21 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm sure that the government must be under tremendous pressure from the airlines, not to mention the hospitality industry, but as one poster mentioned, how many potential tourists are going to accept a mandatory 14 day quarantine at their expense as part of their travel package?  Not many, so yeah, it seems obvious it's going to be a while before general tourism will resume. 

Not to mention that said tourists would no doubt be "welcomed back" by their home country after their trip to Thailand with a further mandatory 14-day quarantine at their expense! As regards your final sentence, I think that it's going to be a while before general tourism across this great planet of ours as a whole resumes.

As mentioned, no earlier than the second half of 2021 would be my guess.  Until then, I'll just be flying to different destinations in Europe for short city breaks. Last week it was Rome, in a months time it could be Lisbon. Who knew we had so many fantastic cities right on our doorstep? ????

23 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I think Thailand has handled the situation incredibly well which is obvious by the fact that there are no new domestic cases in over two months, and all incoming people must face a mandatory 14 day quarantine.  My question is really whether foreign nationals here on long stay visas might be allowed to exit and re-enter before general tourism resumes.

You went home for the holidays in December? You could have been back in Thailand during Q1 2020, so why did you wait until it was to late? If you call yourself a long stayer in Thailand, you shouldn't have stayed back home when the holidays were over. 

I would agree the writer that long term / retired expats with residence here in Thailand should be treated differently  to tourists ( NOT classed as 1 year tourists !!)  providing we have residence , medical policies and Covid cover plus the 800,000 baht in the bank then we should be given some leniancy to go out of the counrty / return without all the hoops that tourists should and must jump through !  Can we not be trusted to self isolate ??  I would not mind even having to wear a GPS tracker tag if they want to check I stay at home !!   Get tested after 3 days - yes why not !!  Other countries adopt self isolation with a fine if you break it !!   There are many ways the government could make things easier for long term residents - especially as they want us to support the economy now !!  We buy things , employ people , give out food to the needy so come government give us a break !!! 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Informed information about Cabinet discussions that might only be reported in Thai is NOT "useless assumptions".  I simply wish to be as well informed as possible.

then talk to the thai gov .. here all u will get are assumptions ... we do not know for sure .... that is not an assumption 

12 hours ago, murraynz said:

Why do people keep trying to guess when the borders will open.

Its also difficult and risky to buy airline tickets.

It must be frustrating for many having to wait many months,but i think its a pointless exercise,trying to guess dates,that may or may not eventuate..

You sort of answered your own rhetorical question; People like me ask for possible factual information(not guesses) so they can make travel plans.

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You went home for the holidays in December? You could have been back in Thailand during Q1 2020, so why did you wait until it was to late? If you call yourself a long stayer in Thailand, you shouldn't have stayed back home when the holidays were over. 

Perhaps English is not your language but I said I wish to go home this coming December for a brief visit.

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There are no facts, apart from "not possible now".

On the contrary, there are daily discussions by officials in the Cabinet relating to easing border restrictions and resumption of tourism, and much of it is not reported in English.  That is the information I wish to know.  Sure, we could just wait for an official announcement but here in the Magic Kingdom, those official announcements usually come...after the fact, so it helps to know the direction that talks are heading.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jen65 said:

return without all the hoops that tourists should and must jump through !  Can we not be trusted to self isolate ?

Nope, they aren't trusting their own nationals so why should foreigners be given more leniency. Other countries do it differently and have far higher infection and death numbers so perhaps Thailand should stick with it. I am afraid I know a few too many retired foreigners who could certainly not be trusted to self isolate for a suitable length of time.... especially after a spell back in their own country!

19 hours ago, oldhippy said:

There are no facts, apart from "not possible now".

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

On the contrary, there are daily discussions by officials in the Cabinet relating to easing border restrictions and resumption of tourism, and much of it is not reported in English.  That is the information I wish to know.  Sure, we could just wait for an official announcement but here in the Magic Kingdom, those official announcements usually come...after the fact, so it helps to know the direction that talks are heading.

There will be no official announcements as to when the country will open up its borders to unrestricted tourism for the simple reason that a crystal ball does not exist.....the "daily discussions" you refer to are subject to "flip flopping" and are better ignored :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, userabcd said:

Observing many foreigners now walking around without masks, it would be better to keep some of them out.

I suggest the readers of this forum should pay attention to the issue thus raised. It's like the obvious consideration that if you don't want your social group or "race" (if such exists) to be viewed in a negative light, then it's in your power not to commit crimes of person or property. I try to put on my mask around Thais, because too many of them are already suspicious of us, even though after 89 days of no officially reported cases, my strong gut feeling is that it's not necessary.