Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

30 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Oddly enough though, it seems there's just as much traffic downtown as there was before, less the double-decker tour buses. Every time I go down South or Central Pattaya or Thepprasit or along Sukhumvit, the traffic seems just as bad as it was at this time last year. 

Even at Immigration. I normally go first thing in the morning on a Tue/Wed/Thu as those are normally the quietest days. Went on Tuesday morning, there was 4 people when I got there. By the time the girl came out to collect the "90 Day" passports, there was probably 3 dozen people there.

Yeah, they've changed how they do 90 Day reports now. Probably to reduce the crowds inside. They collect the passports outside and give you a random number tag with the matching tag clipped to your passport. Then the girl takes them inside to be processed and when the current batch is done she comes back out, hands out the completed passports and collects any from new arrivals. (But they process them in the order collected so even though I had #76, my passport was in the stack before #22 and I got it back before that person got theirs as well. They don't hand out the tags or sort them in numerical order.)

Other business goes in like normal, except they don't even open the doors to let people inside until 8:30 now. Again, probably to reduce the number of people inside. I had to go in to do my "bank book check" as well and when I walked out, the inside was full of people (as full as they allowed).

Was surprised at the number of people there, considering that there hasn't been any "tourists" allowed in for months, and the "genuine tourists" that can't seem to book a ticket on all the airlines that have been flying everyday, are all still on "Amnesty" so most of them probably don't need to go to Immigration for anything.
(Not sure if they extended the Amnesty for 90 Day reports but they are processing them like normal for those that go there.)

The last 2 times I've been to Immigration, it seems there have been more people there than there were (usually) before the "covid crisis". Things are being processed quickly though. Between the 90 Day report and handing in the paperwork for the "bank book check", I was on my way home by 08:39.

Was still a couple dozen people outside when I left and more arriving every minute. 

Maybe the lines will suddenly get shorter a month from now........ 

Lots of road construction around town at the moment causing traffic back-ups.  I see they're even re-surfing the outbound Highway 7 flyover causing backups northbound between Central and North roads.

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Well, with no access to the Thai ladies for the next few years, playing computer games IS about the most exciting thing I can do.

Why not try the new (VERY) Microsoft flight simulator and you could fly over your property to remind you what it looks like? Just an idea to keep you occupied!

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, they've changed how they do 90 Day reports now. Probably to reduce the crowds inside. They collect the passports outside and give you a random number tag with the matching tag clipped to your passport. Then the girl takes them inside to be processed and when the current batch is done she comes back out, hands out the completed passports and collects any from new arrivals. (But they process them in the order collected so even though I had #76, my passport was in the stack before #22 and I got it back before that person got theirs as well. They don't hand out the tags or sort them in numerical order.)

That was not the procedure I experienced last Tuesday. It was just as it had always been: go in, get a number from the front desk, go wait at desk #4. Only two things changed: 1. the numbers are now prefixed with the reporting desk number; 2. a new 90-day stamp is put into your passport. Over time, those stamps could take up a lot of pages when you might not have that many left. Another point in favor of online reporting or by mail, if the latter's supported. Is it? I don't seem to recall posters mentioning reporting by mail in connection w/ Jomtien.

Perhaps they collect passports outside during crunch times or you're simply out of date. I had 4 in front of me and waited 10 min. Office not crowded but appears more so owing to the social distancing perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Helmet Grunter said:

Would you consider renting your condo, long term, I am living Koh Samui for long time, but will move to Pattaya Feb 2021 

Can't rent it as all my stuff is there (it was my home).

I'll just leave it empty until I can come back to get my stuff. Likely then to put it up for sale rather than renting.

• Like 1

Good luck with selling your condo .. top market maybe but I hv seen lots reductions @ it's a..rental paradise ..even when the door opens but yes as mentioned   world apdemic...myself its g8t as to 44 baht a beer ...just  waiting on guiness shipment ..above all you hv make most of the  situation as it be long long time I think it will be anywhere near to normal ..anyway good luck ..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I can answer your loaded question about so called trannies.

Assuming you're talking mostly about "ladyboy" sex workers, the audience for them is overwhelmingly hetero identified men.

Gay men are (in general) not sexually attracted to women or men presenting as women.

Got it now dude?

aren't you the guy who admonishes everyone when you start a thread.... for not staying on topic ?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sungod said:

Chill out buddy, its a world pandemic. Travel anywhere is difficult at the moment.

Besides, unless you want to give it to someone, the property market is down too.

We are all hoping for better times........

Agree. All the world are having problems not only you 

Edited by sead
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Well said....there are many posters like this..

Anti pattaya etc,who seldom ,if ever go to pattaya..

Many other negative people who complain about thai visa rules,

But they cant meet the simple financial requirements..

Pattaya is still a great place,even if its quiet at the moment.

More complaints from anti agent posters than those you refer to IMO. At least majority of those are from or know Pattaya!